Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #6046
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycraig View Post
Posted this in another thread and was told it was not the right place for it so here it goes again, anyone get an 1190r and have no issues whatsoever with it. I wish there was a poll for this. I guess getting a unifilter installed doesn't count as a problem. Just curious?

I bet there are a lot more riders out there that have had no problems than those that have had problems...the ones with no problems are busy having fun riding their bikes...the ones with problems are busy looking for solutions and voicing their concerns, which is why there appears to be a lot more dodgey bikes than good ones. The actual percentage of bikes sold that have had problems I am sure would be very very small. You see this with lots of new model of bike, or car for that matter. For the record my 2014 adv r has been trouble free so far for 2500km (apart from falling over in the dirt once...)
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:19 PM   #6047
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
FYI every KTM produced has seen redline a few times on a dyno before leaving the factory. Break-in procedures are a thing of the past. Ride it like it's meant to be ridden.

ETA: The break-in period anymore is to get the owner acquainted with their new machine before going wfo and wadding it up.
There are YouTube videos of KTM manufacturing processes. Engines are hand assembled and run on an engine dyno to check power/leaks and then the oil is replaced and they go into a manufacturing inventory to wait to be assembled in a chassis. After bike assembly they are run a second time on a chassis dyno and that is the oil you get when you buy a new bike. I ran my 1190 R thru 5 heat cycles and full range of RPM's in about 150 miles. After an oil change it was ready to ride normally (what ever the hell that might be for a 150 hp dirt bike ). It had 1.3 miles before my first ride.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #6048
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycraig View Post
Posted this in another thread and was told it was not the right place for it so here it goes again, anyone get an 1190r and have no issues whatsoever with it. I wish there was a poll for this. I guess getting a unifilter installed doesn't count as a problem. Just curious?
I'm of a size where the stock seat won't for me (low front cutout). James Renazco sent me pictures of one he did recently so I'm having him build my 3rd Renazco seat (the 690 and 990 seats he did were perfect).
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #6049
Wonway
KTM Fanboi #2

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
There are YouTube videos of KTM manufacturing processes. Engines are hand assembled and run on an engine dyno to check power/leaks and then the oil is replaced and they go into a manufacturing inventory to wait to be assembled in a chassis. After bike assembly they are run a second time on a chassis dyno and that is the oil you get when you buy a new bike. I ran my 1190 R thru 5 heat cycles and full range of RPM's in about 150 miles. After an oil change it was ready to ride normally (what ever the hell that might be for a 150 hp dirt bike ). It had 1.3 miles before my first ride.

Did your bike come with the WP stickers on the forks? My 2014 didn't.
1994 Ducati 888 LTD #61
2008 Husqvarna TE610
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
Wonway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #6050
LowSpeedHighDrag
KTM Dealer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post

I've witnessed the birth of my 1190 at the factory in Mattighoffen.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:41 PM   #6051
ChrisK7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
My bike came with the stickers in the zippered pouch. I put them on the forks myself.
As for any troubles. The only thing I have noticed with my bike is the lower, rear, right side engine to frame bolt is missing and it appears there are no threads in the engine either.
I plan to thread it myself and get a 30mm bolt for it. Seems like there are several out there with the same issue.

Other than that the bike is excellent in every other way.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #6052
Wonway
KTM Fanboi #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK7 View Post
My bike came with the stickers in the zippered pouch. I put them on the forks myself.
As for any troubles. The only thing I have noticed with my bike is the lower, rear, right side engine to frame bolt is missing and it appears there are no threads in the engine either.
I plan to thread it myself and get a 30mm bolt for it. Seems like there are several out there with the same issue.

Other than that the bike is excellent in every other way.
thanks! I never got a bag of stickers.

There are other posts on here about that skid plate mounting boss not being threaded. Mine was threaded from the factory but many others have had problems. A simple tap job will fix.
1994 Ducati 888 LTD #61
2008 Husqvarna TE610
Old 01-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #6053
Wonway
KTM Fanboi #2

^ Can anyone clarify there is a bolt supposed to be in that spot? The engine is supported just above that spot so I don't think it is structural but just a place for the skid plate mounting.

Is this true?

You never tap both sides as a mounting point. One side always has a clearance so that both parts can be pulled together. I can't see KTM tapping the frame and the engine at the same time. That is why I think it is simply a mounting tab for the skid plate.
1994 Ducati 888 LTD #61
2008 Husqvarna TE610

Wonway screwed with this post 01-02-2014 at 08:01 PM
Old 01-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #6054
ChrisK7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
There are other posts on here about that skid plate mounting boss not being threaded. Mine was threaded from the factory but many others have had problems. A simple tap job will fix.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, not a biggy for me. I will do it myself.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #6055
vasculopath
You're not your bike

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonway View Post
^ Can anyone clarify there is a bolt supposed to be in that spot?
Well, from the instructions for mounting the skidplate, first step is to remove the bolt that is supposed to be there...

vasculopath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #6056
Wonway
KTM Fanboi #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasculopath View Post
Well, from the instructions for mounting the skidplate, first step is to remove the bolt that is supposed to be there...

That's on hype kickstand side. I believe the complaints are on the other side.

Edit: my bad. That is a center stand I see.

But I still don't think that boss on the right side is anything but a skid plate mounting tab.
1994 Ducati 888 LTD #61
2008 Husqvarna TE610
Old 01-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #6057
vasculopath
You're not your bike

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
That's on hype kickstand side. I believe the complaints are on the other side.
Nope, look again, they are showing both sides. That's the center stand.

This is from, my instruction booklet, and my bike is uncircumsized, uhh, un tapped..
vasculopath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #6058
LowSpeedHighDrag
KTM Dealer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
^ Can anyone clarify there is a bolt supposed to be in that spot? The engine is supported just above that spot so I don't think it is structural but just a place for the skid plate mounting.

Is this true?

You never tap both sides as a mounting point. One side always has a clearance so that both parts can be pulled together. I can't see KTM tapping the frame and the engine at the same time. That is why I think it is simply a mounting tab for the skid plate.
It's supposed to be there. KTM knows about it and is sending out parts kits to dealers for installation.

Also, my 2013 has the bolt there.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #6059
Wonway
KTM Fanboi #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasculopath View Post
Nope, look again, they are showing both sides. That's the center stand.

This is from, my instruction booklet, and my bike is uncircumsized, uhh, un tapped..
Sorry, I was editing my post above.
1994 Ducati 888 LTD #61
2008 Husqvarna TE610
Old 01-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #6060
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 791
You tap the engine not the tab. The bolt passes through the tab and tightens into the engine case.
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote