Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 01:41 AM   #616
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
I think that R is one sweet looking bike....I just may become a regular in the OC again
I agree! Was just looking at one at my local dealer and had a hard time walking away. I love my 950 but the 990 R is sweet.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:18 AM   #617
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmoto View Post
I agree! Was just looking at one at my local dealer and had a hard time walking away. I love my 950 but the 990 R is sweet.
I was referring to the new 1190. I had a 950 and for me, treating an expensive bike as a dirt bike became a nightmare on my wallet and my brain (missed too many rides because my one do it all bike was broken down.....again) I bought a dirt bike I can crash and laugh at (xr650r) and now I am hunting for a backroads touring bike. One that doesn't require body work to be removed for oil changes, gobs of power so it's a good street bike, a 21 inch front for slicing freshly graded gravel, etc

I don't want (been there done that sorta thing) a 500 pound dirt bike. I want an "adventure" bike. For me, these days, that means a sweet street bike that's at home on gravel backroads as much as it is on pavement.

I see this new bike as being marketed to a guy like me...of course my other option is an hp2.....

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:25 AM   #618
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
I was referring to the new 1190. I had a 950 and for me, treating an expensive bike as a dirt bike became a nightmare on my wallet and my brain (missed too many rides because my one do it all bike was broken down.....again) I bought a dirt bike I can crash and laugh at (xr650r) and now I am hunting for a backroads touring bike. One that doesn't require body work to be removed for oil changes, gobs of power so it's a good street bike, a 21 inch front for slicing freshly graded gravel, etc

I don't want (been there done that sorta thing) a 500 pound dirt bike. I want an "adventure" bike. For me, these days, that means a sweet street bike that's at home on gravel backroads as much as it is on pavement.

I see this new bike as being marketed to a guy like me...of course my other option is an hp2.....
You can't have just one bike. I have 3 (I have a very good wife ). Right now I have my dream team, 390, 690, 950. I love all types of riding.

Xmoto screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 02:30 AM
Xmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:34 AM   #619
tubeaction
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Try doing this with the 1190R.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBOZh...eature=related

I think more than 1% of 950/990 owners were in a situation like this.
I dont see the 1190R doing this.
tubeaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #620
PopsicleMonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I think it is sad to see KTM build bikes to compete with other brands rather than build bikes to compete. Sure I know it is a business and they are out to make some money. I am sure they will sell a ton of these from the interest in this thread. Since I see people putting smaller diameter wheels on their 950/990's maybe this type bike fits that segment well. BTW I think that totally defeats the purpose of the adventure. One of the main reasons I own a 950 is the correct off road worthy 21/18 setup.

To me KTM is "Ready to race". If you want to be competitive at any level in off road racing you buy KTM. Not only are they fast fun and reliable but very competitive right out of the box. Their bikes have been getting away from the race heritage the last few years. New 990's come with an imobilizer? ABS? What do you need that for? And What race are you entering a 1190?

Ahh the sport touring adventure market has a demand for these things. I wish they would leave that market to BMW. So I just hope KTM does not loose sight of what made them great. And I think if you own a KTM you should know who John Penton is.

Maybe this will allow them to offer a 1190 as a street option and a 990 as the off road option without softening it for road use?

+1 for the 690 adventure. (With the correct wheels 21/18)
PopsicleMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:43 AM   #621
Scutty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeaction View Post
Try doing this with the 1190R.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBOZh...eature=related

I think more than 1% of 950/990 owners were in a situation like this.
I dont see the 1190R doing this.
O'Really ?????

My bike anthology: BMW G450X, BMW R1200GSA LC, KTM 690 Enduro R, Yamaha WR250R, Yamaha XT600E, KTM 990 SM-T, Ducati Diavel, Kawasaki Z1000, Suzuki SV1000, Kawasaki Zx7-R, Honda VFR800, Honda CBR600F, Yamaha RD350, Yamaha DT175, Honda CM125, Kawasaki AR125, Kawasaki AE50 - wow I have owned a lot of bikes
Scutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #622
Scutty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsicleMonkey View Post
I think it is sad to see KTM build bikes to compete with other brands rather than build bikes to compete. Sure I know it is a business and they are out to make some money. I am sure they will sell a ton of these from the interest in this thread. Since I see people putting smaller diameter wheels on their 950/990's maybe this type bike fits that segment well. BTW I think that totally defeats the purpose of the adventure. One of the main reasons I own a 950 is the correct off road worthy 21/18 setup.

To me KTM is "Ready to race". If you want to be competitive at any level in off road racing you buy KTM. Not only are they fast fun and reliable but very competitive right out of the box. Their bikes have been getting away from the race heritage the last few years. New 990's come with an imobilizer? ABS? What do you need that for? And What race are you entering a 1190?

Ahh the sport touring adventure market has a demand for these things. I wish they would leave that market to BMW. So I just hope KTM does not loose sight of what made them great. And I think if you own a KTM you should know who John Penton is.

Maybe this will allow them to offer a 1190 as a street option and a 990 as the off road option without softening it for road use?

I really don't get it, the 1190R has 21/18 set-up and has a switch-able off-road mode that drops bike to 100 BHP, disables the ABS and alters the traction control - how can this be less capable than the 990Adv now?
Given the sales figures for motorcycles around Europe right now, KTM would be criminally negligent if they didn't go after the GS/ST/Explorer market share and the standard 1190 does that - but surely the R carries KTMs off-road legacy?

I get that a percentage of the users here want a lightweight 690 Adventure, you all certainly bang on about it enough so this bike (in either format) probably just isn't for you, get over it.
My bike anthology: BMW G450X, BMW R1200GSA LC, KTM 690 Enduro R, Yamaha WR250R, Yamaha XT600E, KTM 990 SM-T, Ducati Diavel, Kawasaki Z1000, Suzuki SV1000, Kawasaki Zx7-R, Honda VFR800, Honda CBR600F, Yamaha RD350, Yamaha DT175, Honda CM125, Kawasaki AR125, Kawasaki AE50 - wow I have owned a lot of bikes
Scutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #623
gkaan
Bikes on the Brain

Oddometer: 512
You think it is sad for KTM to build bikes in market segments where they can profitably grow their business? I think this is a good move by KTM. KTM is a business not a charilty and i think you should look at it from the perspective that if KTM doesnt build bikes for a larger audience they never will be able to sustan building the bikes you want. The good news is I believe KTM will not dilute from it's core capabilities as a 'ready to race' company. IMO they have a corporate mission and culture that will continue to focus on hard core dirt and performance products like the xbow for example. but the realities of the motorcycle business dictate they need 'mainstream' products to fund the wild side otherwise there will be no more KTM. For what it is worth i am a loyal KTM customer and i know who john penton is and the 1190 is on the top of my list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsicleMonkey View Post

gkaan screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 04:58 AM
gkaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #624
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkaan View Post
You think it is sad for KTM to build bikes in market segments where they can profitably grow their business? I think this is a good move by KTM. KTM is a business not a charilty and i think you should look at it from the perspective that if KTM doesnt build bikes for a larger audience they never will be able to sustan building the bikes you want. The good news is I believe KTM will not dilute from it's core capabilities as a 'ready to race' company. IMO they have a corporate mission and culture that will continue to focus on hard core dirt and performance products like the xbow for example. but the realities of the motorcycle business dictate they need 'mainstream' products to fund the wild side otherwise there will be no more KTM. For what it is worth i am a loyal KTM customer and i know who john penton is and the 1190 is on the top of my list!
+1!

This does not appear to be an imitation of a GS, Multistrada, or Explorer... Rather KTM's entry to a segment THE MARKET defined. And it is distinctly KTM. More power than competition, less weight by far save MTS which is sport touring bike reall anyway, option for 21"/18" wheels, and on and on.

The funniest part is how many people are lamenting the production end of a bike that is now more than 10 years old, besides there are plenty of 12's, and 11's languishing on dealership floors... Go buy one.

Everyone that is commenting on the bikes (lack of)abilities is comical, having nothing more than vague details that spec sheet wise, only place this bike a few lbs heavier, and some pictures. To not like how the book looks is fine, but it is pretty damn hard to judge what it's contents are that way, my god no one has even reviewed it yet. I have tasted the engine in this bike and it is leagues better than its competition. Unless something is fundamentally flawed with the design of the chassis, other than looks, this bike is destined for greatness.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #625
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
+1!...this bike is destined for greatness.
Based on what I see and read, I agree.

I can't help but think that most of the weeping and gnashing of teeth and rending of garments is just the normal Adv dick waving about how KTM should build a bike that them and Meoni would be able to exploit :

I'd guess if you can't do it on an 1190, you wouldn't be able to do it on a 950.

We heard the same thing about what a turd the 990 was when it replaced the 950, and that didn't work out all that bad. I owned a 2004 950S and now own a 990, and think in every respect the 990 is better (and I thought the 950S was GREAT) with one odd exception-- the 950S suspension gave a better, real magic carpet, street ride-- and one normal carb/FI characteristic that it dropped to low revs smoother.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #626
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
+1!

This does not appear to be an imitation of a GS, Multistrada, or Explorer... Rather KTM's entry to a segment THE MARKET defined. And it is distinctly KTM. More power than competition, less weight by far save MTS which is sport touring bike reall anyway, option for 21"/18" wheels, and on and on.

The funniest part is how many people are lamenting the production end of a bike that is now more than 10 years old, besides there are plenty of 12's, and 11's languishing on dealership floors... Go buy one.

Everyone that is commenting on the bikes (lack of)abilities is comical, having nothing more than vague details that spec sheet wise, only place this bike a few lbs heavier, and some pictures. To not like how the book looks is fine, but it is pretty damn hard to judge what it's contents are that way, my god no one has even reviewed it yet. I have tasted the engine in this bike and it is leagues better than its competition. Unless something is fundamentally flawed with the design of the chassis, other than looks, this bike is destined for greatness.
Say no more!

btw the MTS is NO less than 230kg fully fueled....
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #627
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Everytime I see the 1190 photos and hearing more about the specifications, it becomes better.

I am not an offroader, but besides heating my legs and it's short range, I have always enjoyed riding my 990. I believe KTM will add enough off roading capabilities on this bike; this is something expected from them, unlike most of the other brands.

On the other hand, this is true that, not all of us, the large cc bike riders are more offroaders than occasionally riding on loose tracks. It doesn't matter, even if you don't ride hard offroad, you like riding something, which is well known of being capable doing this.

I will be in Cologne and I am waiting forward to see the new Adventure. However, still need to see personally that, it won't boil me in warm Turkish summers and it is riding at least 300 km before the light. (am I dreaming?)
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #628
PopsicleMonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:

Sorry to offend... I don't think our opinions are far off from each other. My word choice is not the best. I know it is a business and I know it will grow their market segment. It is also a good business for them to be in. I am making assumptions about the bike and KTM's marketing plans by looking at pictures. It is probably a bad idea to post opinions based on pictures. When I look at those spy photos I see vstrom-esque or tenere-esque and not advenutre-esque. That doesn't fit with my "race" view of KTM. That is all I was trying to say.
When the 950 adv was released there was nothing like it. It was a market maker. Today, there are lots of 1200 cc adventure touring bikes on the market. My assumption is that this is the market they are trying to compete in. No? I could be completely wrong, that is what it looks like to me.
I am sure if KTM builds it, it will be great bike, they all are. Also this does not dissuade me from buying any KTM or even an 1190. I don't think they "sold out" or anything; I am also a loyal KTM owner. If the 1190 leans more to the touring market then I hope they leave some room in their lineup for the off road adventure crowd. Maybe a 690 adventure would fit the bill. Otherwise I will be sad.
PopsicleMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #629
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
I think that R is one sweet looking bike....I just may become a regular in the OC again
Way better looking than Mutli IMO.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #630
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Oddometer: 18,756
My biggest problem, based on photos alone, is the central fuel cap. Not having to remove the tankbag to fill up is one of the aspects of the 990 I really liked beyond its competitors.

Seems petty, but if you're doing a long trip with lots of fill ups it makes a big difference.
Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote