Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 02:45 AM   #676
Nomadix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence FFM View Post
.......... KTM has acknowledged that the big sales pie is not the classic LC8 market but rather the soft adventure market. ...
Exactly! The way people go in this thread, you'd think that they expect this to be a replacement for the 990. It is not.

In case there are some that still haven't noticed, KTM manufacture a variety of bikes, from very small to quite fat, and it so happens that even though most us who lurk in the Orange Crush forum are not interested in the very fat ones, the market is hungry for them. The BMW 1200 outsells the KTM 990 many times over, for the simple reason that most motorcyclists are not like our small and elite group of hard-core Chuck Norris kicking, Rambo flicking, round the world adventurers. Most motorcycles in this sector are purchased by people who want to tour comfortably, two-up, on tarred roads, with the ability occasionally to venture onto gravel roads. This is where the market is, and the market is what the shareholders are interested in.

And none of this is to say that the 990 is the be-all and the end-all. It too is a compromise. As a dual-sport bike, it has to be.
Nomadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:39 AM   #677
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadix View Post
Exactly! .....you'd think that they expect this to be a replacement for the 990. It is not.
Thats the point isnt it? KTM have been signalling their intention to move out of the enduro/adventure market for some time...the non existant 690ADV has astonished the fans, the media and even their own dealers! It is hard to see how the 990A will continue for much longer as it will indirectly be in competition with the 1190R especially for development dollars....lets hope it stays....who knows?

Its pretty obvious who the 1190 is aimed at thanks, and it isn't the 'ready to race' crowd who up until now were KTM's target market. Of course they will continue to make hardcore bikes but most of us here have a leaning towards more off road focused adv bikes, which is the market they seem to be squezzing!
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:49 AM   #678
Salvo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Bluhduh 2013 KTM Adv - this is it!

Psyched to see the new Adv, gotta say like the 150hp. Nice job motorcycledaily.com

Of course not here till 2014, WTF!
Salvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:50 AM   #679
Salvo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
check it out:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2012/...-ducatis-lead/

Ducati did it first with the Multistrada. Design a relatively light, upright and comfortable adventure touring chassis and place a full blown superbike engine inside. KTM will be following suit when it replaces the 990 Adventure (a bike that makes less than 100 hp) with the 1190 Adventure next year.
Borrowing the big V-twin from its RC8 Superbike, the 1190 Adventure is expected to weigh close to 500 pounds while generating roughly 150 hp. Not your father’s BMW GS.
There will be both a standard and an R model, differentiated largely by wheel size (19/17 on the standard and 21/18 on the R). Just as Ducati does with the Multistrada, expect KTM to tune its superbike motor for peak power and torque at lower rpm levels.
Top drawer features should include Brembo brakes, ABS and traction control, as well as ride-by-wire throttle, adjustable windscreen and selectable power modes.
Full details should be available in early October at INTERMOT, but we expect KTM will make the bike available in Europe next year, but will not bring the 1190 Adventure to the U.S. until the 2014 model year.
Salvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #680
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
this thing will probly shred 990 on and off
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:52 AM   #681
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadix View Post
Exactly! The way people go in this thread, you'd think that they expect this to be a replacement for the 990. It is not. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
...Its pretty obvious who the 1190 is aimed at thanks, and it isn't the 'ready to race' crowd ...
As I've said, the bike looks great from a spec pov. I don't know (and neither do any of you) how it will actually perform, but can't see it being a disappointment in any respect.

In all seriousness- how do you see the new bike as being in any way less "adventuresome" or racy than the previous ones? From specs it's at worst the same weight (with crashbars and a skidplate) despite having a whole lot more features. And isn't more for less or same weight one of the tenets of racecraft.

Don't like ABS? Disable it. Don't like traction control? Disable it. Like the idea of less power? Run it in low mode. Need more suspension travel than the "R" has? Easily remedied. Want a less comfortable seat? Take padding out. Want more helmet wind turbulence? Stick your head out the side. Need maintenance to be more difficult? Do it with your eyes closed.

C'mon tell the truth-- you're upset because it's lost "the look" and people won't be able to tell how special you and your bike are at a glance

wpbarlow screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 07:12 AM
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #682
BillyD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence FFM View Post
As much as the doctored photos of the various KTMs amuses me too, I think everyone has to accept or acknowledge that for all purposes, an RC8R could just as easily be inserted in the images. KTM has acknowledged that the big sales pie is not the classic LC8 market but rather the soft adventure market. In this market the new bikes are going to give the established bikes a serious run for their money.

Am I happy that KTM is moving in this direction? Sort of. If it ensures the survival of the brand of course it's good. If it means that we will never see another bike like the Adventure LC4 or LC8, or the SE950R, well, they can't take the 07 990 they sold me back!
+1

Despite the fact I will not likely buy an 1190, I hope it is a tremendous sales succes.

Why?

Because hopefully it will free up development funds for projects of more interest to me (i.e., 690 Adventure). I've been hyper critical of KTM in the past about the 32m Euros they squandered on that fancy go-cart when their bread and butter products needed refinement and the 690 Adventure segment languished.

Nor do I agree that slow sales of the 640 Adventure is a good predictor of 690 Adventure sales. Arguably, the 640A and it's associated vibration was well past its prime when it was discontinued in 2007. No wonder they only reportedly sold 150 in the USA, but guess what, they probably only imported 150. So, what's the cause and effect? Kind of hard to sell more than 150 if no more exist...

So here's hoping the 1190 is a huge sales success!

Edit: BTW, the more I look at the pictures, the more I like the 1190 looks.

KTM '08 690 RFR, '08 990Adv S (carbs), '07 640Adv, '03 540EXC, Ducati 851, Moto Guzzi 850 Lemans, Ercole & 2VT and Yamaha RD350.

BillyD screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 06:58 AM
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #683
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
As I've said, the bike looks great from a spec pov. I don't know (and neither do any of you) how it will actually perform, but can't see it being a disappointment in any respect.

In all seriousness- how do you see the new bike as being in any way less "adventuresome" or racy than the previous ones? From specs it's at worst the same weight (with crashbars and a skidplate) despite having a whole lot more features. And isn't more for less or same weight one of the tenets of racecraft.

Don't like ABS? Disable it. Don't like traction control? Disable it. Like the idea of less power? Run it in low mode. Need more suspension travel than the "R" has? Easily remedied. Want a less comfortable seat? Take padding out. Want more helmet wind turbulence? Stick your head out the side. Need maintenance to be more difficult? Do it with your eyes closed.

C'mon tell the truth-- you're upset because it's lost "the look" and people won't be able to tell how special you and your bike are at a glance
+1 and it looks completely badass. Only time will tell whether it will sacrifice much off-road. Its only marginally heavier but far more refined and powerful. IF its fueling is good and range is good, Ill be interested for sure. 40 mpg x 6.3 gallons = 252 miles. Just needs a skid plate.

jimmex screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 07:39 AM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #684
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Great day that was!

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #685
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
Great day that was!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #686
ALLAWYN
Letsitle

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post

+10000

The most beautiful bike ever, I like 150hp, I like traction control, I like abs, and and I love the dirt mode, I like the new suspension.

I won't sell sell my 990R because the new 1190R is to beautiful to ride, my name is on the list and at least for the first few months I won't ride it, only look at it and listen to the new Acro's

There is nothing that this new 1190R can't do that my 690R and 990R are doing now

I live in the 21st century, bring it on
ALLAWYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #687
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Oddometer: 18,756
God bless the Starbuck's crowd!

When they all sign up for the 1190 I see a wave of well priced, well farkled, gently used 990s hitting the market.

Thanks KTM for bringing goodness to us all!

Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #688
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Do you think that the new bike will be able to jump the log like my KLR650 did?

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #689
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Elephant View Post
God bless the Starbuck's crowd!

When they all sign up for the 1190 I see a wave of well priced, well farkled, gently used 990s hitting the market.

Thanks KTM for bringing goodness to us all!

So just because somebody likes the new bike makes them "Starbuck's crowd?"
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #690
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Oddometer: 18,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
So just because somebody likes the new bike makes them "Starbuck's crowd?"
God bless the sense of humourless!

Bringing kneejerk reactions to Orange Crush since 2003!

Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote