ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #91
Schannulleke
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 205
I agree with bigdave-gs,


KTM and their bikes are very good but not perfect and how come that every bit of criticism in this subforum is declared as being a troll? I love the bikes that KTM makes, but as a motorcycle manufacturer they score bad points when it comes to listening to their customers and improving the things the customers indicate. Things like side stand mount, fuel pump, water pump, clutch slave, oil change and air filter change without tank removal should be improved during the years.

Will this keep me from buying their bikes: no, the bikes are too good for that
But it will without a doubt bring the bikes to a higher level of quality and would make them truly awesome and reliable.
Schannulleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #92
bigdave-gs
Explorer
 
bigdave-gs's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schannulleke View Post

KTM and their bikes are very good but not perfect and how come that every bit of criticism in this subforum is declared as being a troll? I love the bikes that KTM makes, but as a motorcycle manufacturer they score bad points when it comes to listening to their customers and improving the things the customers indicate. Things like side stand mount, fuel pump, water pump, clutch slave, oil change and air filter change without tank removal should be improved during the years.

Will this keep me from buying their bikes: no, the bikes are too good for that
But it will without a doubt bring the bikes to a higher level of quality and would make them truly awesome and reliable.
I forgot about the side stand. I'm fixing to buy a 990 Adventure R and sell my old 04 BMW R1150 GS Adventure, but have been hesitant because of complaints about maintance, FI issues, fuel milage, side stand issues, ect here on Orange Crush. My knees are getting to where my BMW's weight kills my knees when I ride it off road, so I'm looking at the 990 for a lighter bike. My Beemer weighs 600+ lbs and the 990 Adv R weighs less than 500 lbs. Plus I like the 21" front wheel over the BMW's 19". I just wish it held more gas, I will miss my 7.8 gallons.
__________________
It is said, some lives are linked across time, connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages.

Currently riding a 2004 R1150GS Adv. but a very long list of others over the 30 + + years of riding
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #93
superpimp
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 52
Wow she not really nice looking design wise in my opinion.
But that's a personal thing i guest.She doesn't have that dirtbike essence to her like the old adv had.
superpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #94
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Oddometer: 613
??

Is there any more news on this? Would be interesting to see some more info
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #95
AlphaDogDaddy
AlphaDogDaddy
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Hunt, Texas & Durham, Maine
Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by superpimp View Post
Wow she not really nice looking design wise in my opinion.
But that's a personal thing i guest.She doesn't have that dirtbike essence to her like the old adv had.
I agree. Like it or not, the current style is far more distinctive than all of the other "Adventure" bikes.
AlphaDogDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #96
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogDaddy View Post
I agree. Like it or not, the current style is far more distinctive that all the other "Adventure" bikes.
There may be two versions. There was mention of a 1290 Adventure and a 1090 Adventure R on the USA dealer powerpoint (see post 39). For the 690 the R designation indicated the more offroad version (versus the original 690e).

Maybe the 1290 will be more street oriented to compete with the Super Tenere (with appropriately sized wheels) and they will retain a dirt version which keeps the 21/18.

Anyways, it's all a guess.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #97
Chuckracer
More Ride, Less Google
 
Chuckracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Lowville, NY
Oddometer: 6,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schannulleke View Post
I love the bikes that KTM makes, but as a motorcycle manufacturer they score bad points when it comes to listening to their customers and improving the things the customers indicate.
Show me one manufacturer who is any different?
__________________
2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure
2001 Scorpa SY250

"
The average pirate doesn't come off any where near as precious as the self absorbed element in the OC these days." ~ Douf
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #98
bigdave-gs
Explorer
 
bigdave-gs's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
Show me one manufacturer who is any different?
Victory Motorcycles ! ! ! A smaller company than KTM but they listen to their customers, even had a Q & A open house a few years back to see what the customer market was looking for in a big cruiser. Why can't KTM, BMW, Yamaha, Suzuki....ect, for the Adv market do that? ? ? If your going to go to all the trouble to design and manufacture a new bike for the fast growing ADV market, why not ask the future customer base what they are looking for in an ADV motorcyle ? I know you can't please all the people out there, but I bet they could learn a few thing from guys and gals that ride these beasts.
__________________
It is said, some lives are linked across time, connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages.

Currently riding a 2004 R1150GS Adv. but a very long list of others over the 30 + + years of riding
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #99
Nomadix
Adventurer
 
Nomadix's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Standing directly above the centre of the Earth
Oddometer: 22
Dirtbike shmirtbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpimp View Post
.....She doesn't have that dirtbike essence to her like the old adv had.
That's because it isn't intended to be a dirt bike. Who in their right minds would try to design a dirt-bike that is bigger and heavier than a 990? This bike will be a dirt tourer at best - along the same lines as the Ducati Multistrada.

KTM have a responsibility to their shareholders, and are currently designing bikes for the market rather than for purpose. And the market sector that will be interested in this bike, is the same market sector that has no interest in doing oil-changes at home, let alone under a baobab tree in Malawi. The service agents will enjoy charging extra for the time it takes to strip the thing for maintenance.

Hang on to your 990. It doesn't look like there'll be a viable successor any time soon.
Nomadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #100
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
Why can't KTM ... for the Adv market do that?
If you're waiting for the KTM truck to pull up outside your Starbucks and start soliciting opinions your probably going to have a wicked buzz

I'd like to know who's opinion Victory consulted on this, maybe they need to stop visiting the blind home but I bet it has an easy oil change.

crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #101
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Central NJ
Oddometer: 9,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
...I'd like to know who's opinion Victory consulted on this, maybe they need to stop visiting the blind home but I bet it has an easy oil change.
Fwiw, the 2 people I know who have them absolutely love them for how they do their intended job. It's pretty ugly to me, but the 950/990 is considered pretty ugly by an awful lot of people who don't have them.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #102
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Central NJ
Oddometer: 9,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
Show me one manufacturer who is any different?
Well, Ducati for one. The biggest complaint owners and prospective owners had was short (and expensive) valve maintenance intervals. Ducati basically doubled it over the past 3-4 years. And basic reliability was another hot point with prospective owners; and Ducati has made great progress over the years wrt basic reliability.

Somehow a lot of KTM owners think that pita maintenance and some shoddy design issues are badges of honor. They're not- they're a sign that the manufacturer either can't (financial reasons) or won't (not a high enough priority) fix the issues, and push the problems off on the owners. Right now I guess enough people think it's worth it, but everyone knows how quickly things can go from all right to "uh oh". KTM was on the ropes not too long ago and it wouldn't take much to put them back on them.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #103
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11
 
FINNDIAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Wawa, ont, Canada
Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
Victory Motorcycles ! ! ! A smaller company than KTM .
as Polaris Industries' motorcycle division with 2011 sales of 2.657 billion $ there is no small company to Victory.

Ktm is small.
__________________
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #104
bigdave-gs
Explorer
 
bigdave-gs's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Well, Ducati for one. The biggest complaint owners and prospective owners had was short (and expensive) valve maintenance intervals. Ducati basically doubled it over the past 3-4 years. And basic reliability was another hot point with prospective owners; and Ducati has made great progress over the years wrt basic reliability.

Somehow a lot of KTM owners think that pita maintenance and some shoddy design issues are badges of honor. They're not- they're a sign that the manufacturer either can't (financial reasons) or won't (not a high enough priority) fix the issues, and push the problems off on the owners. Right now I guess enough people think it's worth it, but everyone knows how quickly things can go from all right to "uh oh". KTM was on the ropes not too long ago and it wouldn't take much to put them back on them.
+1
__________________
It is said, some lives are linked across time, connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages.

Currently riding a 2004 R1150GS Adv. but a very long list of others over the 30 + + years of riding
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #105
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer
 
pebble35's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Jersey, Channel Islands
Oddometer: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadix View Post
That's because it isn't intended to be a dirt bike. Who in their right minds would try to design a dirt-bike that is bigger and heavier than a 990? This bike will be a dirt tourer at best - along the same lines as the Ducati Multistrada.

KTM have a responsibility to their shareholders, and are currently designing bikes for the market rather than for purpose. And the market sector that will be interested in this bike, is the same market sector that has no interest in doing oil-changes at home, let alone under a baobab tree in Malawi. The service agents will enjoy charging extra for the time it takes to strip the thing for maintenance.

Hang on to your 990. It doesn't look like there'll be a viable successor any time soon.
My 2007 Adventure is up to 37,000 miles now - just trying to decide whether to get another 990 later this year to carry me well into the future before it disappears from the range.................
__________________
Proud to be supporting Pyndon
www.lyndonposkittracing.com

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014