User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #1036
jpcussen
Jpcussen Cape Town

Oddometer: 23
Garbage can

I dont get the shift - perhaps because the 990 was too much in a class of its own and they were not capitalizing from a business perspective on the GS riders who want a more road oriented bike.

The amount of times that I have dropped my "awesome" 990 because it desires to go where no GS could every go... that garbage can on the side wouldn't last 5 mins... The twin pipe look on the 990 was awesome. I don't get it

Did they really ask their customers what they want - current 990 owners??
jpcussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #1037
Yascher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerger View Post
Exactly. I've been drooling over the 950/990 Adventure for years now. Never could get myself to sell the 1200GS, because even though its not nearly as good off-road its that much better on. But as I kept trying to make my GS more dirt worthy it became obvious that it will never even get close to what the KTM can do in the dirt. I will admit that when I read that the new GS will have a wet clutch I got right out excited thinking finally the GS will be more dirt worthy, but then the BMW guys screwed it up, put fatter even more dirt unfriendly tires on the new cow, made no mention of lower gearing for off-road and to put the coup the grace on it made the diameter of the front forks smaller. This new 1190 looks like it will still be much more dirt worthy than the GS, but should be just as good, maybe even better, than the GS on road.
150 ponies is out of GS range anyway)))
Yascher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #1038
jpcussen
Jpcussen Cape Town

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
The percentage of riders who take 990's off road is tiny, like probably less than 3-5% and that would be generous but the percentage of photos of people doing crazy things is like 90% - how many times are we gonna see that same photo of Jimmy Lewis jumping that same log? Another hundred?

Gregor
Gregor - Its obviously different where you live... in South Africa we buy 990's to ride OFF road... You rarely see people commuting on 990's and I cant believe that the riding mentality is that different in the States.... I would say that 80% of 990 riders that I know plan trip, ride them, ride them well... we go into the dunes, the mountains, single track you name it... and now KTM expect me to consider buying that big lug of a bike with terrible ground clearance and a wanky big exhaust to fullfill my adventures??... no thanks.

Of course smaller bikes are easier, and they have their place. I also ride enduros and I completely believe that there are horses for courses... but I can also vouch that the 990 rides like a big enduro bike, and surprises me regularly when pushed.

People who dont want to take their DS bikes of road should be buying road bikes... or a Multistrada... but personally I cant believe your stats and I think you should be giving your fellow 990 rides some more credit!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #1039
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcussen View Post
People who dont want to take their DS bikes of road should be buying road bikes... or a Multistrada
Just to clarify; off road to me means a trail. As in it isn't conceivable as a road. If a jeep can go on it, it is a road. Paved, unpaved, rutted to hell... it is still a road.

I can understand in Africa or places out western US or Austraila, you actually have the kind of open terrain that is accessible and there is no road per se where you can ride a 500lb motorcycle that "feels like a dirt bike". Unfortunately many of us live near in heavily wooded areas with lots of dense vegetation, the only off road places to ride are trails that are much better on a 250lb motorcycle that "actually is a dirt bike"

I ride my RC8R on dirt roads to connect paved segments, and it works for that, but the heavy front weight bias makes it a lot more difficult and sketchy. A Multistrada is only marginally better; while it may have more relaxed geometry and ergos, it still has a 17" front wheel. Sorry but saying if you don't ride off road you should get a road bike is ridiculous, road bikes just don't handle unpaved roads and double track well at all.

This 1190 Adv is the first bike I know of that has serious muscle, reasonable weight, and a 19" (or 21") front wheel. Makes it the only option for real world adventure performance riding. I get that this is not the type of bike to replace the current 990 for serious off road riding of a 500lb bike... and most likely so does KTM. So everyone shitting on the 1190 because you lament the loss of the 990, realize the 990 isn't gone yet, and KTM has not stated this is the replacement... stop being so damn negative and optimistically hope for the smaller lighter 800. Geesh.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #1040
Meico640
Banned

Oddometer: 264
Oz

Gotta love being in OZ

A country the size of the states with 20 odd million peeps = lottsa space for BIG 990ADV's & 640's

E mail me for pics !!!!
Meico640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:30 AM   #1041
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
What many people here are not realizing is that Europe is still the biggest market for KTM, and there is almost no legal off roading here any more unless you are on private land (in which case you are likely to trailer your real dirt bike there). For gravel and unpaved roads which you are more likely to find the 1190 will do it just fine.

KTM is already making more money from street bikes than they do from offroad bikes, and growth in that segment is also 3x as much (H1 2012 numbers). Since they are in the business to make money and not to please a niche group (the hard core off road 950/990 riders), more power to them if the 1190 outsells the old Adventures as I expect.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:51 AM   #1042
jpcussen
Jpcussen Cape Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
Sorry but saying if you don't ride off road you should get a road bike is ridiculous, road bikes just don't handle unpaved roads and double track well at all.
Howzit bud - I am not saying that you should take an R1 off-road!... I am refering to the guys who purely ride their DS bikes on TAR... unpaved roads can still be alot of fun on a DS bike, at least you still feel a little adventure.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:04 AM   #1043
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Will KTM still sell the 990 adventure in 2013? Are they selling the SMT or super moto in 2013?
Old 10-04-2012, 03:58 AM   #1044
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Gregor - Its obviously different where you live... in South Africa we buy 990's to ride OFF road... You rarely see people commuting on 990's and I cant believe that the riding mentality is that different in the States.... I would say that 80% of 990 riders that I know plan trip, ride them, ride them well... we go into the dunes, the mountains, single track you name it... and now KTM expect me to consider buying that big lug of a bike with terrible ground clearance and a wanky big exhaust to fullfill my adventures??... no thanks.
As Lukas says, this is a bike for their big markets which is the US and Europe. Those that ride the 990's off road here are more likely to live in rural areas like you but most of our population lives in cities. The east coast is also almost completely paved compared to the west coast (yes dirt exists but not in the epic way of the west). They were smart. They built a bike to crush BMW in the Dakar and then they rode that success until now. The market has recognized where most people live and ride and the product cycle requires a model to reflect that. It's still the most off road capable machine you can buy so it's not like they abandoned their roots, they just evolved like the market.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:23 AM   #1045
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
Excellent point!
Not true. As soon as the current 990's leave the dealer floors, then the 800 will appear and no more 990 ever after.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:00 AM   #1046
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
I dont get the shift - perhaps because the 990 was too much in a class of its own and they were not capitalizing from a business perspective on the GS riders who want a more road oriented bike.

The amount of times that I have dropped my "awesome" 990 because it desires to go where no GS could every go... that garbage can on the side wouldn't last 5 mins... The twin pipe look on the 990 was awesome. I don't get it

Did they really ask their customers what they want - current 990 owners??
Yes I think you're right, yet I consider the new model a very good prospect for anihilating the equivalent competition. It's faster, more offroad worthy and overall a better bike (in paper). Heck, it's even lighter than the current 9x0's. Adventure riding (at least for most riders in Europe) consists of many Kms on paved roads and about 10-15% off roading so I say this one is hitting bullseye...(nevertheless, I hope they make it tough enough to withstand enough abuse without troubles which is always a concern with more complicated bikes)...
Old 10-04-2012, 05:02 AM   #1047
randel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Look at the german website http://www.ktm.com/de/travel/1190-ad...alkulator.html
All the missing parts you were complaining about are already available as extras - proper skid plate, acrapovic exhaust, higher windshield, bigger footrests, luggage and so on. Looking good for me!
Price for 1190R is 14890 EUR, while 990R is available for 1000EUR less - not bad at all.
randel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:43 AM   #1048
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
So what's that skid plate bolted to, the engine case? I see no frame members in that area.
this is the accessory skid plate
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #1049
Portman
Portman

Oddometer: 46
Combined ABS

Ineteresting.

Just read that the bikes have COMBINED ABS, which, in their words, deploys the back brake when the front is applied.

This sounds a bit like Honda's early implementation of this scheme as I beleive their later versions also apply the front brake (although at a reduced force) if the rear is applied.

Having never ridden a Honda with this set up can't comment on how such a system works in practice, but road tests indicate it is very good. Don't know about off-road though, but the KTM info does say the ABS can be switched off (apparently as well as having an off-road mode).

Can't wait to read a thorough test ride report.
Portman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #1050
SigPig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
The bike is very nice and all but I am going to wait for a bike that may never come to be.

950/990 styled KTM 790 Adventure R.
SigPig is offline   Reply With Quote