User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 06:02 AM   #1051
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,783
Laugh New Bike!

I think they pretty well sold all the 990s they were going to sell to the faithfull. Now they need to sell more bikes to stay in business. I"m willing to bet they will sell more of the new version world wide than the old one. Also willing to bet the new one will be better overall. A lighter bike is always better in the dirt but you have to look at the big picture. And probably 80% of the riding is pavement so streetier maybe good for sales. More power for sure. Also willing to bet it will still be pretty dam good in the dirt. The windshield was the biggest downfall for me in the long run.This bike has something different that has to work better. The original seat on my 06 950S was awful. This one looks better. Comfort can't be totally overlooked. Funny how we all bash most new bikes when they first come out and then slowly change our minds after they get tested and then see a few around. And then end up buying one and realizing, WOW, this is really nice.
Happened to me one the new 06 KTM, then the new 08 GS12 and now the new 12 S10 Yammie. Try it, I'm sure you'll like it. Bikes are always getting BETTER!
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:30 AM   #1052
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Interesting data point: In Austria - arguably the most KTM-loyal country on the planet - the 1200GS has always been outselling the 990 Adventure by 300-400%, in fact the KTM just barely sells as much as the monstrous 1200GSA...

I think that ratio is going to improve a hell of a lot with the 1190, as useless as those 150 horses are in the dirt.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #1053
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
... I guess all the guys who are drooling should have been lined up to buy the SMt990s but they didn't???
Not necessarily, I bought a 990 and a 19/17 wheelset.

(already have a 950SM)

wpbarlow screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 06:58 AM
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #1054
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,080
The rumors of a 800 twin were started by the same riders who were sure a 690 Adv was eminent! Yes it would be nice to see, but it is just wishful thinking right now!

Hey, I get what the bike is to all the Captain Obvious imposters! No Chit!

I could have made a short list of areas for improvement based on my needs/wants/desires and point of fact, this bike meets none of them. As the 990 evolved it got lower and lower too. Not for me, thanks!

I am selling my SE, cause after 5 years I'm ready for something new and I'm tired of riding a bike that splays my legs like I'm at a gynocologists office for a battery of tests and that won't let me slide forward to corner. This bike will lock you into one place while seated too, one of my biggest gripes about the "real" Adv.

I've had, lets see here,,, 10 new KTMs. Yes, at least ten, probably forgot a few.

Ten KTMs since 1998. My kids have owned another dozen, starting from 50cc thru 65 to 125, 250s and 380s. No shortage of KTM fanaticism in this household. Hey, maybe this is a reciep for them to grow and become Honda. That'll be a sad day in my opinion but great for them I guess?

Haven't you got an already watered down, once legendary brand from what BMW did to Husky to keep you streety adventure guys happy?
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #1055
Duk
Starting Over

Oddometer: 8
Just heard that these bikes won't hit the U.S. until late 2013 as a 2014 model.
Duk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #1056
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,574
Quote:
The rumors of a 800 twin were started by the same riders who were sure a 690 Adv was eminent! Yes it would be nice to see, but it is just wishful thinking right now!
+1

I don't understand why is everybody so sure about KTM producing a ~800 twin?!

In the past ten years, KTM developed "only" 2 multicylinder engine.. The LC8, and the RC8.. IMO it takes years to develope a new engine, and there are no official info about this (only rumors on some forums).. So don't you guys think that if KTM would make a ~800ccm twin in a couple of years, we would already have some info about it?

I don't think this engine will exist in a matter of years..
Just my 2 cents..
Old 10-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #1057
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Haven't you got an already watered down, once legendary brand from what BMW did to Husky to keep you streety adventure guys happy?
The 900cc sub 400lb 100hp bike (the Nuda IIRC)? I remember the spec sheet was pretty damn good if you could get past the looks but the US never got it. The rest of the world can buy them... Are they selling and is there a dirt version yet? That may be a good indication of the Adventure middle weights prospects.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #1058
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
+1

In the past ten years, KTM developed "only" 2 multicylinder engine.. The LC8, and the RC8.. IMO it takes years to develope a new engine, and there are no official info about this (only rumors on some forums).. So don't you guys think that if KTM would make a ~800ccm twin in a couple of years, we would already have some info about it?

Just my 2 cents..

You'd think the dealers were accepting deposits by the way this phantom 800 twin has been bandied about!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #1059
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
The 900cc sub 400lb 100hp bike (the Nuda IIRC)? I remember the spec sheet was pretty damn good if you could get past the looks but the US never got it. The rest of the world can buy them... Are they selling and is there a dirt version yet? That may be a good indication of the Adventure middle weights prospects.

I was thinking of the + 400 lbs 650 Husqvarna singles!!! Man, it hurts to ever see that on the screen!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #1060
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
+1

Just my 2 cents..
I dont understand why people think they want it (800).

Whats the big differences between the 950/990 and what a 800 would be. Weight saving would not be much.

Restyle the 990 to look like the current Dakar bikes, and you'll have a beautiful bike that will kill the GS and Tiger 800's, AND still be lighter.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #1061
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
I was thinking of the + 400 lbs 650 Husqvarna singles!!! Man, it hurts to ever see that on the screen!
Oh, well those are budget entry level bikes... Not a performance bike that would compete with a KTM offering, more like compete with KLR and XR650L.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #1062
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,667
Quote:
They are indeed producing it. Late last year or so, they invited a number of accomplished racers to have a go with it, for which they promised secrecy and no pics taken. I know one of them. He went there, he saw it, he rode it. Only thing nobody knows is when it will be released on the market. I guess not before current stocks of 990 are sold. The version he rode looked similar to 690 rally, but nobody knows if this is the final design. He said it will be 100 crank hp and a bit lighter than the SE.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #1063
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
Oh, well those are budget entry level bikes... Not a performance bike that would compete with a KTM offering, more like compete with KLR and XR650L.

Yeah, I know what they are, I just never thought I'd see the day the gunsight logo would adorn such a friggin pooch!

KTM isn't immune either, the new 350 playbikes and the injection of the scooter genetics will corrode the name eventually. Hey, it's business, I get it. Doesn't mean I'd jump for joy if the new EXC500 got morphed into a CRF230L fighter, even if it meant more sales!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #1064
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
They are indeed producing it. ...
That makes it official- I read it on the internet.

So, it will be a potentially slightly more powerful (only with fuel injection as all the real hard core adventure riders want), potentially slightly lighter (at least until the bike gets accessorized) 950SE.

But it will be styled like a rally bike so everyone can tell it's cool, and that makes it much better.
Posers
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #1065
DavidD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by randel View Post
Look at the german website http://www.ktm.com/de/travel/1190-ad...alkulator.html
All the missing parts you were complaining about are already available as extras - proper skid plate, acrapovic exhaust, higher windshield, bigger footrests, luggage and so on. Looking good for me!
Price for 1190R is 14890 EUR, while 990R is available for 1000EUR less - not bad at all.
This is fun............................................... ........if a little expensive:

http://www.ktm.com/gb/travel/1190-ad...alculator.html

I got up to 16,424!! Looks good quality kit though, especially the Akrapovic - and you only need one of them!! Saves a few $ though

Counting the days until I can go to the Milan show and can see it for real - though riding one will take a while longer.
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote