Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #1112
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
But we need a more dirt-oriented bike, so

I think youll have to beef up that subframe. Your Grande Starbucks cup when placed on it in your weekly parking lot chit-chat... ah, "ride", will break that one Commander.
Just sayin....

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #1113
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
I think youll have to beef up that subframe. Your Grande Starbucks cup when placed on it in your weekly parking lot chit-chat... ah, "ride", will break that one Commander.
Just sayin....
That's a dirty stinkin lie!
You know I only go to Dunkin Donuts!
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #1114
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidD View Post
This is Looks good quality kit though, especially the Akrapovic - and you only need one of them!! Saves a few £$ though
Actually you're gonna need lots of them. One per drop exactly unless you manage to drop the bike on it's left side

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #1115
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,134

I'm free now to shoot from the hip at will.......

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #1116
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
So development stops at conception???

Other than addin FI which was a basic, bolt on affair and reliability updates, it hasn't changed, has it?

Do you concede that a new SOHC head would shave rotating mass? Delete a pair of cams and the gear drive, thats significant. That the cases can be far lighter? Check out the rest of the line, the EXC lost huge weight just from the new cast cases. The LC-8 could lose twice that if not more. That a remote oil tank could be lighter and located AWAY from rock strikes? That the rider ergos could be better?
Actually it got some improvements.. Lighter crank to say the least, or resolved reliability issues like the WP shaft.. But yes, it surely can be improved more - maybe for the price of giving up it's characteristics..

I'm not sure, but wouldn't an SOHC engine have a bigger (taller) cylinder head by the way, also wouldn't it be prone to more errors, like the LC4's seizing cam follower bearings or the constantly failing auto decomps?

I personally like the material of the engine, as it won't break instantly when you fall over with the bike on a piec of wood or something.. (yeah, I know it's already quite soft, as the sidestand can still crack it, or a well arranged impact on the foot brake lever - but imagine if it was thinner / poorer material.) BTW the cam covers are made from magnesium alloy:)

I also agree that one can relocate the oil tank, but then you'll need an oil cooler as well.. So you may loose let's say.. 3-4lbs from the font - maybe less?
Change the plastics to CF (like on the KTM Rally bikes?)? That would make a big loss in weight, but it would cost as much as a 690RR.. So still no good. The engine and the frame together are like 80kgs (176lbs) or less.. So it's less than half of the bike's weight.. See, reducing the engine's weight by let's say 10kgs (22lbs) will still keep the bike above 200kgs (440lbs).. Okay, the oil tank thing would remove another 4lbs, so 436lbs total.. It's not the engine (nor the frame) that makes this bike heavy IMO!

Imagine if KTM has stopped the production of the 640 Adventure - which would be more cost efficient to restart (with the current 690 LC4 engine), and never made a similliar bike since, why would they design a brand new (or a derated, or smaller displacement 9x0 V-Twin LC8 engine) for lots of money, instead just factory transforming a 690E into a 690ADV which they already have an engine for?

I guess the market needs some time.. Like 5-10 years to realize, that besides of today's so called "DS" bikes, there is a need for a bike or bikes something like the 640ADV or the 950ADV/990ADV or the 950SE was - maybe somewhere in between these bikes, and will fill this currently developing hole somehow:) - but this won't happen tomorrow IMO.

Schannulleke: The Highland V-Twin is an unreliable bike as I've heard.. Even compared to KTM

Sumi screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 04:47 PM
Sumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #1117
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbx2001 View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I recall the 550 V-twin as having horrendously frequent maintenance intervals, which would be a deal breaker for me. I do very much like the basic idea of a lightweight V-twin, but am willing to have it weigh an extra 10 pounds for greater reliability.
The maintenance intervals are primarily a function of the oil capacity... it holds 1.2 L of oil, similar to any real off road race bike. Viscosity breaks down fast and as it overheats and to a lesser extent experiences more shearing due to high revving engine speeds... also because you have more blow by with 2 rings you get more gas contamination. All par for the course for what it is (an actual race engine)... add a 3.5L oil capacity, taller pistons with a 3rd ring and you are back to 3k mile change intervals. Analogous to KTM's 690 compared to say the 500EXC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbx2001 View Post
I would like to see a (minimum) 100,000 mile V-twin engine, with little maintenance required beyond infrequent oil, filter, plug, clutch plate changes etc. I much prefer riding bikes to fixing them / performing maintenance on them.

Cheers.
I'm sure lots of guys want to score with supermodels, while still being poor dumb fat and ugly, but it isn't realistic. There is no free lunch in the universe. You want 100k mile no brainer reliability, you have to accept low compression, slow revving, over-built mass. Everything is a compromise, and engine design parameters too are a continuum of compromise.

wilmar13 screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 04:48 PM Reason: typo
wilmar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #1118
DavidD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
Actually you're gonna need lots of them. One per drop exactly unless you manage to drop the bike on it's left side
Don't worry its ok I always fall off to the left.........................but just in case I don't the luggage rack will save the Akra

Case Carrier for Aluminium Cases

Sturdy luggage rack system to accommodate the aluminum case. Easy assembly without changing the passenger footpegs. Optimal load transfer over existing mounting points on the chassis.
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #1119
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post

i'm sure lots of guys want to score with supermodels, while still being poor dumb fat and ugly, but it isn't realistic. There is no free lunch in the universe. You want 100k mile no brainer reliability, you have to accept low compression, slow revving, over-built mass. Everything is a compromise, and engine design parameters too are a continuum of compromise.
+1
Old 10-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #1120
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,080
The new cases on the singles are lighter and stronger. The SOHCers would be just as tuff as anything else, the EXCs have been running them all along and suffer no such bearing issues. Lots has happened since the original LC-4s!

KTM has developed alot of new designs, the plastic subframe fuel tank, the Husaberg 70 degree engines, the tool free airfilters, easy access to regular wrenching items. Wouldn't you like to pop off the seat with a button/pull loop and release the airfilter by moving a wire clip aside?

If they had built "that" bike, dropping just 30 lbs even, with more room for a rider to get forward and the same power, or even 15 HP less to the 2004 levels, the collective would not be crying that it wasn't a 150 HP rocket! They'd be saying the original 990s were too fast anyway!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #1121
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,450
http://www.cycleworld.com/wp-content...1200GS_011.jpg

The NEW KTM 1150 is looking better all the time.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #1122
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten View Post
I did not see a picture posted so...

Good argument for soft bags.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #1123
SF_Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Asymmetrical panniers

Would drive me totally insane to have the side cases of such different size. I know it's mental, but so am i.
SF_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #1124
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
Still room for improvement... I mean just for comparison the SXV 550 v-twin weighs 70lbs with transmission (you can carry it around in your arms, it is almost comical how light it is) and puts out 70hp at the WHEEL! This is a DOHC v-twin too, which isn't the lightest way to design a two cyl engine... a couple tweaks to improve the sealing areas internally and add some piston skirt for more stability and you have a reliable engine with two stroke power density... No reason KTM can't raise the bar from the mark set by the LC8 and create a 100lb robust powerplant.

Sorry, couldn't resist

I sure had fun with that engine.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:38 AM   #1125
MartinPetren
Swedish Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Was this posted? Plenty of pictures..

http://blog.derestricted.com/photogr...88381481237582