Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #1261
Katze
Full Time Rider

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Do the new bikes come with a fully stocked chase truck with unlimited sponsorship paid parts and team of mechanics???
Yes, It's an option in 2013. KTM sells it for and extra $700K per year.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #1262
weld86
Weld86 Motoparts

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
What's this tells you? You can be quite confident that KTM is reading his thread very carefully.
I think we should initiate a Group Buy!!!

Kidding aside. I'm knd of excited about the 1190. If it matches the Multi in performance. The BMW in comfort. It will be a great bike! I would buy one. I'll be looking at it real hard.
We can only hope that after the success of the 1190, KTM turns their attention to building the 350lb 700ish cc twin dirt lovin' traveler that we want. If they build this. I'll buy one and so will my riding buddies.
weld86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #1263
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
I have no doubt, the 1190 will be far better than MS; it's KTM at the end of the day.
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #1264
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katze View Post
Yes, It's an option in 2013. KTM sells it for and extra $700K per year.

And back ordered for 7 months...
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #1265
ALLAWYN
Letsitle

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
Not fat at all

For the life of me I can not understand the negative comments especially between hard core KTM lovers over an adventure tourer that looks like this. The only wrong in this photo are the snake skin tyres instead of propper knoblies.
I will ride this bike where any 600cc+ bike is ridden, by any rider, on any make on an adventure tour, read multipale day/km excurtion, and I mean adventure like we have it in Africa, 14+ days in the most secluded, extreme 2 track roads of any surface.
There is a difference between enduro/rally racing and adventure touring, the bike is desighned for the latter…..
ALLAWYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #1266
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Well i think with almost 240,000 views on this thread,They are aready doing something right.
And i am very interested in this new bike. I think instead of throwing the new bike under the bus, people should give it a chance first before mouthing off how its going to suck in the dirt.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #1267
jadoca
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
This looks like a real winner for KTM. To bad we won't see it in the US until 2014, so I have been told.....
jadoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #1268
rockycraig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
europe to us

Is my thinking correct to say if it sells in europe for a year then they bring it to the us the next year all the bugs would be worked out so I can buy it right away(after a test ride of course)????. I don't like to buy first model year.
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #1269
Chartan
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Want one

This bike is good from my point of view.
I was comsidering a larger bike suitable for touring anyway.

I was at Intermot and the 1190 just felt so right to sit on :-)
Really looking forward to a test ride.
Shame about the looks, the 990 adventure is still the coolest looking bike to my eyes. And the standard version just looked silly with all those colors. So R for me when/If I order one.
1190 adventure R and 690 Enduro R would be a perfect pair
Old 10-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #1270
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,186
To me the 1190 makes sense. 70% of my riding is two-up mostly looking for a gravel or dirt road. So mostly pavement. More power and better mileage would be key. I think it looks good and would buy one. But I have no plans to get rid of my 990. Love that bike, the power is fine even two-up, looks great. I like how the HD guys don't know what to make of it. My wife and I where at a restaurant/bar the other day when about 8 Harleys pulled up and the guys and gal where looking it over. One guy even tried to lift his leg like he was getting on and nearly fell over. I really like that. The guys where kinda cool when they came in and saw us. Asked if it was a BMW.

To me, where I live, a 700-850 adventure/dirt bike makes no sense. And probably where 75% of the people that live in the US for that matter. I would much rather have a 1190 and a 350-450 or 500 EXC for the dirt. Now if I lived out west (which I hope I will next year) the 700-850 might make sense if I could only have one bike, but for me I don't think so. I hope they do make it.

If KTM wants sales like BMW they will need to increase their dealer network. Some KTM dealers are not places that the casual buyer might just stop in and drop $17K. Where most BMW shops are more upscale. I do know a guy who had a HD and was driving past a newish BMW shop saw the bikes out front and stopped in. Had no clue about adventure bikes but though they where cool. The salesman kept pushing him to take one for a test ride. The KTM shop, unless you had $100 bills hanging out of your pocket, you're not getting a test ride. He decided to take a ride, and was told to be back 30 minutes before they closed. That would have been about a four hour ride. Now this guy looks like any hard working construction worker heading home from work, even though he is loaded. He got back and talked price on a GS and pulled out $500 from his wallet and said I'll be back tomorrow to pick up the bike. There is no way he would have stopped at the KTM shop. Two of his Harley buddies have bought BMW's too, a GSA and a RT. I don't see KTM getting guys like that.

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #1271
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Personally I dont think that pipe dent is a result of a crash as the HFL article suggests. That bash looks much more like a rock bash through some rough stuff. Especially since there is no header protection on those bikes...yet.

It is NOT impossible that the dent is from a crash, but that would be a wierd angle and spot for a bike that big to hit on the ground. JMHO though and that means nothing. It looks to me like a big hard landing in some rocks took its toll.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #1272
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadoca View Post
This looks like a real winner for KTM. To bad we won't see it in the US until 2014, so I have been told.....
My dealer said it would be a 2014 model, so available around June/July 2013. 8-9 months sounds a lot better, if that is true. Better get your pre-orders in, or you might be waiting till 2015.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #1273
ChR1s
Spherical Bastard

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee2 View Post
...He got back and talked price on a GS and pulled out $500 from his wallet and said I'll be back tomorrow to pick up the bike. There is no way he would have stopped at the KTM shop. Two of his Harley buddies have bought BMW's too, a GSA and a RT. I don't see KTM getting guys like that.
Good point, with regard to marketability. Price the bike high enough, and put the boutique experience burden on the dealers, and KTM might be well on their way towards compelling potential buyers to consider the GS and Multi as alternatives. Growing the brand?

I was recently considering swapping my 990A for a Super Tenere. With the release of the 1190, I'm now less interested in the ST. Conversely, I'm now looking at that Duc.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #1274
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee2 View Post
If KTM wants sales like BMW they will need to increase their dealer network. The KTM shop, unless you had $100 bills hanging out of your pocket, you're not getting a test ride. He decided to take a ride, and was told to be back 30 minutes before they closed. That would have been about a four hour ride. Now this guy looks like any hard working construction worker heading home from work, even though he is loaded. He got back and talked price on a GS and pulled out $500 from his wallet and said I'll be back tomorrow to pick up the bike. There is no way he would have stopped at the KTM shop. Two of his Harley buddies have bought BMW's too, a GSA and a RT. I don't see KTM getting guys like that.
KTM has a long way to go when you compare them to BMW which has the best dealers hands down. I've ridden across the country a few times and when I've had an issue with the bike the KTM dealers are about as unhelpful as can be - "What do you mean make an appointment for next week?". I'm used to BMW where if you are on a tour and have an issue you're taken care of immediately - they value and respect "riders". KTM just hasn't figured that out yet and they still operate like they're selling big mx bikes. It doesn't help that the bikes share space with quads, snow blowers and jet skis half the time.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #1275
EdGear
Edventurer

Oddometer: 534
From the KTM EU sites you can get Technical details for the 2013; 990, 990R, 1190 and 1190R.
Then you can read all the feature descriptions to get more details and check with the photos.
Then you can put together something like this. Some of the differences are bold font.
There are big changes to the instrument cluster which I did not capture.

Update
X means the 990 is the baseline for KTM comments.
X+Y means the 990R map consumes more fuel than the 990 (tribal knowledge)
X-20% is KTM's statement that the 1190 gets 20% better fuel efficiency than the 990
2006 KTM 640 Adventure - sold :(
2002 KTM 400/453 EXC

EdGear screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 09:38 AM
EdGear is offline   Reply With Quote