Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #1321
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Oddometer: 18,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
The Karoos do pretty well off road, the problem is that you will be lucky get more than 2 tanks of gas out of a rear with 150 HP!
I got good performance on and offroad with a Scorpion rear and Karoo front.

The Karoo wasn't fantastic on the road but I did find it to be consistent at least, so you could work with its weaknesses.
Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #1322
TakSD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
The Karoos do pretty well off road, the problem is that you will be lucky get more than 2 tanks of gas out of a rear with 150 HP!
The new ones I saw look to able to handle the power a bit better... dont forget even the new GS has more bhp... 125!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #1323
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Yep.

I don't see a problem with KTM adding a luxury touring bike, it's a cool looking bike! Not sure how much of a PITA it's going to be to do Maintainence, valves and stuff though.

But for going seriously offroad, even the 950/990 is a garbage scow. Who wants to throw a $14,000 / 600lb (loaded) beast onto the ground at regular intervals anyway? But to take long trips and be able to get out back to the best fishing spots, camping spots, etc, ok, I can see that. If I want to go hardcore offloading, even a 500 is a lot of bike.

I like the new 1190, and if its going to be 150hp it's going to rule the roost in the adv big bike category.
Hey, I'd not have a problem with it either if they still built an improved 990! And some guys actually ride these bikes off road, real off road.

By improved 990 I don't mean more, more, more! I mean less, less, less! 15 other guys and myself thought that open class adv bikes were great for todays Scrub Pine Enduro in NJ sand and I'll bet to a man none of them thought another 50 HP or 25 lbs would be a good thing to add to their bikes today!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #1324
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Keyboard Dakarists usually are
Win
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #1325
Salvo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
The "Latte" Crowd

[QUOTE=KMC1;19814780]Yep.

"But for going seriously offroad, even the 950/990 is a garbage scow. Who wants to throw a $14,000 / 600lb (loaded) beast onto the ground at regular intervals anyway? But to take long trips and be able to get out back to the best fishing spots, camping spots, etc, ok, I can see that. If I want to go hardcore offloading, even a 500 is a lot of bike."

Exactly KMC1, like a KTM Adv 990 was such a great bike to toss around the woods or dessert.

From my comments elsewhere on advrider.com on this same topic:
"I used to ride and love motocross and enduro, grew up with the nostalgia of that type of bike, love that comfortable riding position, already have a street bike, want a fun-to-ride all arounder. Something as comfortable to commute to the office with as well as take a nice weekend (or longer) road trip possibly with the guys or with the wife. Needs to be pannier capable, must have a great motor ready to cruise at highway speeds (and then some), decent mileage, reliable as all heck cuz I might neglect it some between dealing with work and the kids, adventure styling cuz its cool, thats what I want. Will I be off-road ride deep in the jungle/dessert, not likely, nor would I want a +500lb beast - of any brand mind you - for that anyway . Plain and simple, the SUV of the motorcycle world as it's been reffered to" .

So for wanting more even though you're not likely to ever take it off road is for poser squids cuz there not wrestling a 500 lb machine off road? The way I see it - if your wrestling some 500lb machine off road you made the wrong choice. These are great times for motorcyclists, do I want more power, yes, do I want more braking, yes, do I want lighter, yes, do I want more of more, absolutely, and I want it now. Can't wait for the KTM 1290 and hopefully Honda will get off its arse and bring something comparable to the US.
Salvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #1326
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Alot of riders wanted less and do use these off road. Look at the other thread with the poll numbers! Sounds like you defined yourself as a street riding adv poser squid and then slammed them?

My 950 has been 95% off road use and its been fun. A new one that weighed 380-420 lbs would have been better.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #1327
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
15 other guys and myself thought that open class adv bikes were great for todays Scrub Pine Enduro in NJ sand and I'll bet to a man none of them thought another 50 HP or 25 lbs would be a good thing to add to their bikes today!
An rxv 550 would be much faster than a 950 in the open class if you wanted to be competitive. Just sayin...
Old 10-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #1328
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
An rxv 550 would be much faster than a 950 in the open class if you wanted to be competitive. Just sayin...

If it finished!

But, alas, at under 700cc it wouldn't qualify and my 530EXC is plenty fast enough for the standard open class vet racing I do.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:10 AM   #1329
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,233
Agree with Nav...

Quote:
Hey, I'd not have a problem with it either if they still built an improved 990! And some guys actually ride these bikes off road, real off road.

By improved 990 I don't mean more, more, more! I mean less, less, less! 15 other guys and myself thought that open class adv bikes were great for todays Scrub Pine Enduro in NJ sand and I'll bet to a man none of them thought another 50 HP or 25 lbs would be a good thing to add to their bikes today!
I thought the 950 SE was taking the Adventure design into the right direction... but for some reason the market just didn't follow. Or that the SE was just too far ahead of it's time.

I hope KTM doesn't give up on this direction. It has a lot of downstream potential, at least in my view.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #1330
Dodraugen
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Anyone know what colours the new 1190 Adventure comes in? The "R" model preferably....
Dodraugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #1331
DirtyRoadie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I want an 1190 really bad. How come the only KTM dealers near me sell only offroad only motorcycles? Even the dealer where I bought my 990 says he can no longer sell street leagal KTMs.
DirtyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #1332
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRoadie View Post
I want an 1190 really bad. How come the only KTM dealers near me sell only offroad only motorcycles? Even the dealer where I bought my 990 says he can no longer sell street leagal KTMs.

It's all part of KTMs strategy to go "upscale" and leave their loyal dealers and customers behind. My dealer is awesome, Town & Country in Hamburg, NJ, and can't sell them either. If this is what they are bringing no loss anyway.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #1333
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
It's all part of KTMs strategy to go "upscale" and leave their loyal dealers and customers behind. My dealer is awesome, Town & Country in Hamburg, NJ, and can't sell them either. If this is what they are bringing no loss anyway.
Interesting how Chile is such a different market. KTM dealers in Europe sell very few Adventures, being the Duke their best seller; if you go to any KTM dealer in Chile you'll see a couple of Dukes and lots, lots of Adventures, clearly their best seller even ten years after it was introduced.
We are lucky in terms of freedom to ride offroad, and since Chile is such a long country where you can travel hundred of miles on and off road makes the Adventure a perfect bike.

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #1334
rotten
LOST AGAIN

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post
If you really want to go off road the upper limit is the KTM 690 enduro. Add just some sand or mud and any bike bigger than the 690 start having problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj2eshF0El0
in this video it doesn't seem the guy on the KTM super enduro is having any problems at all... none! I'd say its just a bit larger than the 690. Typically its not the bike, I know that to be true with my skills or lack of..
rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #1335
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,521
jeez, you guy still complaining and trying to figure out why the 1190 is not your replacement for your 950/990??? starting to sound like a bunch of bmw whinners. it's a new bike for a different segment. is that so hard to comprehend? if everyone love there 950/990 so much over this bike then keep riding it for many years to come. no one is putting a gun to your head to upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
I did a quick and dirty photoshop to show the difference below the axles of the 990R and the 1190R.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote