ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #1441
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!
 
Yellow Pig's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Kalifornia
Oddometer: 7,055
As a donor engine I propose (in no particular order):

1- Honda TRX700 engine:

All-new 686cc SOHC liquid-cooled fuel-injected four-valve single-cylinder four-stroke powerplant generates huge torque and the highest peak output in its class.
PGM fuel injection system with 44mm throttle body for excellent cold-weather starting, lower maintenance and consistent performance at high altitudes.


2- Kawasaki Versys Engine:

649 cc, Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder parallel twin, 64 HP, with 6 speed tranny.


3- Honda CB500 Engine:

499 cc Aluminium liquid-cooled eight-valve parallel twin with balancer shaft. 57bhp, with 6 speed tranny.


4- Kawasaki EX 500 Engine:

498 cc Liquid cooled, four stroke, parallel twin cylinders, DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder w/ 6 speed Tranny. 60 hp, 46 Nm
__________________
So Many Idiots, So Few Comets!!!!!!!!!

Yellow Pig screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 09:35 AM
Yellow Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #1442
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer
 
mousitsas's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 2,681
I think a bullet proof 690 with:

1) a blue printed engine and possibly better balanced (or vibration insulated)
2) a wide gearbox
3) sorted Fi and pump (or even a good carbie)
will be just perfect and still able to put 65 hp on the back wheel and will be way lighter than a twin.

I don't see the point to loose the awesome feeling of a single cylinder engine on the dirt, when you can make this very engine capable on the highway. Any private affair into building a twin will yield another SE, maybe slightly lighter but way more expensive.
If the petrolhead approach is taken, then take an RXV550 apart, study the engine and improve it to be reliable.

Everything is there, just not perfect. Take one and make it perfect rather than re-inventing the wheel.

ps I have seen an RXV with a versys engine on the net.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #1443
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?
 
Hondo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Denver, Colorado
Oddometer: 9,201
What I am going to look into is upgrading my 2011 Adventure engine from a 990 to an 1190-

Pistons, increased bore and the 1190 map?

This would be very interesting...
__________________
KLRWorld.com Forums - Nighthawk Forums

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #1444
kennyd
kennyd
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: kamloops b.c.
Oddometer: 231
highland engines

Highland will produce engines in 750cc 950cc 0r 1150cc www.highland.se They have regrouped after tragic loss of top 3 executives in a fatal plane crash. they are willing to supply this type of project. It sounds like this thread needs to be given its own title now!
kennyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #1445
KMC1
There is no spoon.
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Greater SLC
Oddometer: 2,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
As a donor engine I propose (in no particular order):

1- Honda TRX700 engine:

All-new 686cc SOHC liquid-cooled fuel-injected four-valve single-cylinder four-stroke powerplant generates huge torque and the highest peak output in its class.
PGM fuel injection system with 44mm throttle body for excellent cold-weather starting, lower maintenance and consistent performance at high altitudes.


2- Kawasaki Versys Engine:

649 cc, Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder parallel twin, 64 HP, with 6 speed tranny.


3- Honda CB500 Engine:

499 cc Aluminium liquid-cooled eight-valve parallel twin with balancer shaft. 57bhp, with 6 speed tranny.


4- Kawasaki EX 500 Engine:

498 cc Liquid cooled, four stroke, parallel twin cylinders, DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder w/ 6 speed Tranny. 60 hp, 46 Nm
Not trying to bust balls, but why would I want any of these ideas when I can just go buy brand new 500exc or a used 530exc if I want to save a few grand and probably get it already farkled up? The 500/530 is about 50ish horsepower and 260 lbs.....
Maybe the idea would be to take an RC51 vtwin and stuff it into a 500/530 chassis?
__________________
Obama says adding $4 trillion to debt is unpatriotic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kuTG19Cu_Q&sns=em

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #1446
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Oddometer: 715
Outlook not so good

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyd View Post
Highland will produce engines in 750cc 950cc 0r 1150cc www.highland.se They have regrouped after tragic loss of top 3 executives in a fatal plane crash. they are willing to supply this type of project. It sounds like this thread needs to be given its own title now!
Talking with people who have ridden these machines it seams they are a long long way from any type production or even functionality for that matter and last I looked they have made no progress in the past few years these bikes also Came with a $20k price tag

If more power is what you want I do know that big bore kits are in the works for the 990 950s
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #1447
Schannulleke
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 208
Platform:
- KTM 690
- Aprilia RXV5.5

Engine:
- Highland 750 twin (as mentioned above)
- Maybe an idea for a very compact engine: Rotax E-tec 800R or E-tec 600 H.O.
Schannulleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #1448
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.
 
v8toilet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Northwest U.S.
Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
I think a bullet proof 690 with:

1) a blue printed engine and possibly better balanced (or vibration insulated)
2) a wide gearbox
3) sorted Fi and pump (or even a good carbie)
will be just perfect and still able to put 65 hp on the back wheel and will be way lighter than a twin.

I don't see the point to loose the awesome feeling of a single cylinder engine on the dirt, when you can make this very engine capable on the highway. Any private affair into building a twin will yield another SE, maybe slightly lighter but way more expensive.
If the petrolhead approach is taken, then take an RXV550 apart, study the engine and improve it to be reliable.

Everything is there, just not perfect. Take one and make it perfect rather than re-inventing the wheel.

ps I have seen an RXV with a versys engine on the net.
I would buy a 690 that was more reliable in a heartbeat. I don't need or want a more complex twin. Give me 60hp and bulletproof @ 300 lbs.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #1449
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny
 
Sporting Wood's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Horneytown, NC
Oddometer: 880
My CRF450x almost cracks 65hp...heavily modded though still proven reliable, weighs about 250-260, has soft bags, a tag, e-start, just enough lights to make it legal( sort of).

I' m thinking the deal is to simply keep the 950, lightly mod it for weight as time goes by, and be f'n happy with it. 20 years from now we'll be like those cranky old bastards who ride airhead GS's and think they're the best thing there ever was.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #1450
mookymoo
Mookish Mook
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Either UK or Australia ...
Oddometer: 4,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post

Flanny is beating around the bush.

The shop exists, the person who can build this exists and Chris, Flanny and I are seriously considering building the bike. Chris has built several custom engines: a Rotax single with a Ducati top end, a fully billet engine case for a TZ250 and finally has been working on his own design 600 V-4 for several years. We have multiple CNC's and all the skills in the world it make it happen. It seems like there are a lot of people that want a 700cc V-twin and so we're considering building it. It would be a custom crank and case running a pair of KTM 350 cylinders and it would fit into a 690 chassis. It can be done - it won't be cheap. It would be cool. Think the Bimota of dirt bikes.

I think this is going to need it's own thread.

Gregor

Looking forward to it!
mookymoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #1451
CosentinoEngineering
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 183
>>Give me 60hp and bulletproof @ 300 lbs.

How about 90Hp, 310lbs and nuclear blast resistant? The twin can be very close to the weight of a single and yet have other benefits too: no counterbalancer, lighter crank, smaller torque pulses so the internal parts don't have to be as beefy and maintenance intervals can increase, less overall vibration transmitted to the frame and rider, better fuel efficiency, and the list can go on.
__________________
Chris
moto2-usa.blogspot.com
Check out my products 10% off for ADV rider members
CosentinoEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #1452
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Not trying to bust balls, but why would I want any of these ideas when I can just go buy brand new 500exc or a used 530exc if I want to save a few grand and probably get it already farkled up? The 500/530 is about 50ish horsepower and 260 lbs.....
Maybe the idea would be to take an RC51 vtwin and stuff it into a 500/530 chassis?
Every time I ride my Rally Moto Kit fitted 530, I think it is "almost" perfect. (for me, of course)



More oil capacity, and an "even" wider spaced gearbox, plus maybe the ability to carry a bit more (my Wolfman Enduro bags allow me to carry camping gear, but it has to be super-light stuff), and I'd get rid of the 950 altogether. With the fairing and custom seat, it's every bit as comfy as my 950 Adventure cruising down the road, but my speeds are definitely lower on the tarmac.
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #1453
YOGOI
Prick
 
YOGOI's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Logan, Utah
Oddometer: 3,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Every time I ride my Rally Moto Kit fitted 530, I think it is "almost" perfect. (for me, of course)



More oil capacity, and an "even" wider spaced gearbox, plus maybe the ability to carry a bit more (my Wolfman Enduro bags allow me to carry camping gear, but it has to be super-light stuff), and I'd get rid of the 950 altogether. With the fairing and custom seat, it's every bit as comfy as my 950 Adventure cruising down the road, but my speeds are definitely lower on the tarmac.
A sign of old age, wise, but...
__________________
Any bike can be taken off road. The question is; How much fun did you have doing it?

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #1454
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI View Post
A sign of old age, wise, but...
True.
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #1455
KMC1
There is no spoon.
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Greater SLC
Oddometer: 2,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Every time I ride my Rally Moto Kit fitted 530, I think it is "almost" perfect. (for me, of course)



More oil capacity, and an "even" wider spaced gearbox, plus maybe the ability to carry a bit more (my Wolfman Enduro bags allow me to carry camping gear, but it has to be super-light stuff), and I'd get rid of the 950 altogether. With the fairing and custom seat, it's every bit as comfy as my 950 Adventure cruising down the road, but my speeds are definitely lower on the tarmac.
Simply awesome looking bike! I've got my 530 set up similar to yours, but not quite as "adventure" - yet....I use it for the trail bashing rides, but there are times I wish I could take it further/longer....of course it does eat rear tires like they're candy though..... Could be the wheelies....

Throw on an oil cooler and then talk to these guys: http://www.globetrottin.com/ To set it up with some racks for carrying your gear....you can pack it like its a 950 with one of those racks on it.
__________________
Obama says adding $4 trillion to debt is unpatriotic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kuTG19Cu_Q&sns=em

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014