User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
GreatWhiteNorth OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,576
DMC Enduro sidecar - mods?

Was wondering what guys have done for mods to their DMC Enduro sidecars... particularly with regards to storage solutions. I bolted in a racing seat, bolted on the windshield, and a couple of ammo cans, and still intend to hang a Kolpin gas can (already purchased) on it somewhere. Also mounted an auxiliary light and LED marker light (I want cars to see me!) on the front. No idea how many of these Enduro sidecars Jay has sold, but I sure like mine. Interested in seeing what others have done with theirs.

GreatWhiteNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
GreatWhiteNorth OP
Beastly Adventurer

Wow!

152 views (as I write this) and no responses whatsoever! Bueller? Bueller?

I dunno - how rare are these Enduro sidecars? No one use 'em for travelling? I'm hoping to get a little backwoods camping in with mine in my (semi) retirement.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
Not sure what you are doing for panniers...but.
If you wanted to make a small bracket, you could mount the Kolpin between the bike and the car.
I haven't had good luck with Kolpin tanks, they have leaked on me.
Switched to Rotopax and haven't had a problem yet.
Good luck.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
I keep breaking mine. Bent the sidecar axle once and just blew out the shock during this ride a few weeks ago. Maybe "Enduro" is a little optimistic?

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 650/719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
GreatWhiteNorth OP
Beastly Adventurer

Offroad

VACommuter - Just started trailing with mine recently. The wife is a little reluctant, so I've been slowly working up the "roughness" of the overall experience and pointing out the wildlife & birdwatching get back to nature angle. A few days back I was zipping back along a trail and hit a good bump with the sidecar wheel (was hidden in tall grass - didn't see that coming!) - it really kicked the car up. She thought that surely it bent the rim, but it was fine. Jay (from DMC) has said that initially they used Harley sidecar axles? ...which had some failures. Maybe yours was one of them? You ever load the bike & sidecar down with gear and take it backcountry camping?

BeeMaa - I just mounted side racks this last weekend. I bought a set used off eBay. They came with ABS plastic support racks for soft luggage (not mounted yet). I'll get that sorted out soon enough, and buy some dry bags to strap into them. I've got a trip to the Rockies planned for last 2 weeks in July, but will likely take the Goldwing rig instead (better to eat the miles up).
Old 04-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Hogslayer
motomaniac

Oddometer: 140
Hey GWN....

I'm glad you started this thread I just recently started looking into sidecars and kind of was interested in the DMC Enduro Hack. I see quite a few being used on the KLR but was thinking of trying one on my DR sometime in the future.

So I hope there are riders out there that might have one on a DR and tell how they like it or not,I will be checking to see if that combo is very common. I see allot of nice GS/GSA rigs but that combo is way out of my price range.....
Hogslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
GreatWhiteNorth OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, they're nice.

Hogslayer, I PM'd Jay himself today here... he said they've only sold about 30 or so Enduro sidecars, mostly on KLR's. Obviously they haven't caught on quite yet (shame). They'd be a great match on a DR650. I find the KLR lacks oomph. I'll be looking into a 685 or 705 kit at some point in the future, and maybe even a 2nd engine to play with (build up). I've read a bit about the DR having more power to start with, and delivering more horsepower gains from hop-up. Adding a sidecar soaks up a surprising amount of power - the extra weight and drag, both from the sidecar tire scrubbing slightly and air resistance. Must say tho, the Enduro rig makes zipping down a gravel road amazingly stress free... it's really in it's element on smooth gravel, and tearing thru fields! Reasonably stable and safe feeling I find... once you get used to riding/driving a rig. They are quirky to say the least!
Old 04-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 898
We have only sold a couple of these for DR's We have also sold our M72D for DR's The DR works well as a sidecar bike.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,168
The 685 is a big improvement as is a heavy duty clutch and springs. Gearing down and keeping the rpms up will make a huge difference. I think many people ride their rigs at much too low of engine speed,thinking they are doing the engine a favor. Once I get going I don't like to let the engine drop below 3 grand. 4000 to 5000 rpm seems to be the sweet spot for the KLR and it really doesn't complain at 6000 or a little more. Naturally you want to keep an eye on your oil levels and keep the valves adjusted. Roll the throttle on a bit and you may be surprised how the performance improves. Too low of rpm and you have neither pulling power nor snap. The bike will lug down at the first sign of a hill or headwind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
Hogslayer, I PM'd Jay himself today here... he said they've only sold about 30 or so Enduro sidecars, mostly on KLR's. Obviously they haven't caught on quite yet (shame). They'd be a great match on a DR650. I find the KLR lacks oomph. I'll be looking into a 685 or 705 kit at some point in the future, and maybe even a 2nd engine to play with (build up). I've read a bit about the DR having more power to start with, and delivering more horsepower gains from hop-up. Adding a sidecar soaks up a surprising amount of power - the extra weight and drag, both from the sidecar tire scrubbing slightly and air resistance. Must say tho, the Enduro rig makes zipping down a gravel road amazingly stress free... it's really in it's element on smooth gravel, and tearing thru fields! Reasonably stable and safe feeling I find... once you get used to riding/driving a rig. They are quirky to say the least!
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:00 AM   #10
GreatWhiteNorth OP
Beastly Adventurer

Roger that!

Hi RedMenace (Vern) - exactly what I'm discovering. I was letting 'er rip the other day on gravel and was a little surprised by the jam it had if you rev it out. I think I've perhaps read so much on the oil consumption issue, and how it's attributed to high rpm highway running, that it subconsciously motivates me to cruise at lower rpms. Mine uses a little bit of oil, but it's not bad. I ordered a 14T front sprocket - that should make a difference!

Question: did you build your "adventure" sidecars yourself? They are a nice design (I like what I see)..
Old 04-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,686
How long does it take to disconnect those enduro hacks?
I'm thinking of getting one to haul around camping gear and my pressure washer.
Other times I'd just like to pull it off for around town.
It will be going on a 2012 BMW F650 twin.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #12
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

4 easy to get at bolts and the sidecar is off. 10 minutes with hand tools, less then one with air tools.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
Old 04-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
Hogslayer
motomaniac

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
I hear what you are saying I would think dragging a hack around has to hurt your performance, it would be used mostly for back roads and hauling extra fuel and camping gear around plus I would think a hack might be better in the winter up here when the roads get iced up, this year I took a couple good spills when I came across a couple good ice patches in the road. Knobby tires work great in the snow and mud but didn't realize if you hit ice your better off with street tires on....I've never been thrown off a bike so fast in my life with no control at all like riding on ball bearings to skechy for me, thats why Im sort of looking into a hack .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydmc View Post
We have only sold a couple of these for DR's We have also sold our M72D for DR's The DR works well as a sidecar bike.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
I really like the look of the M72D and Ural sidecars but would think the poor DR would strain big time trying to push one of those around. I would like to see a setup like that though if someone has that rig, I want something small and lite to haul camping gear around in the woods I hate strapping and unstrapping crap all over the back ,with a back pack on I have to stand most of the time because all the gear I carry shoves me forward in the saddle and makes it uncomfortable.
Hogslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #14
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogslayer View Post
I hear what you are saying I would think dragging a hack around has to hurt your performance, it would be used mostly for back roads and hauling extra fuel and camping gear around plus I would think a hack might be better in the winter up here when the roads get iced up, this year I took a couple good spills when I came across a couple good ice patches in the road. Knobby tires work great in the snow and mud but didn't realize if you hit ice your better off with street tires on....I've never been thrown off a bike so fast in my life with no control at all like riding on ball bearings to skechy for me, thats why Im sort of looking into a hack .

I really like the look of the M72D and Ural sidecars but would think the poor DR would strain big time trying to push one of those around. I would like to see a setup like that though if someone has that rig, I want something small and lite to haul camping gear around in the woods I hate strapping and unstrapping crap all over the back ,with a back pack on I have to stand most of the time because all the gear I carry shoves me forward in the saddle and makes it uncomfortable.
I built this unit for a XR250...Its light enough to to pic up & carry...Build link at the bottom..

By petenz at 2012-04-18
Old 04-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #15
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

I have found that our M72D sidecar works better on the road then the Enduro on the KLR better areodynamics.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jay@dmcsidecars