User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #16
kmequint
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
1983 xl600r

Here's my old school steed....All I can say just enough power to do what I want, easy to ride, easy to maintain, easy to repair..

Wrong year but close enough

kmequint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #17
wiswoodsguy OP
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Ooooh. Those 690s look sweet indeed.

'10 Husaberg FE450 here. It is the "perfect" serious trail bike for a vet class B level old guy

Smooth motor, both power wise and vibration wise. The FI is always right on the money, regardless of my ever changing elevations here in Colorado. It steers very lightly, craves nasty rocky single track, does sick wheelies and has a gear in the box for every occasion. I love the thing.

MAN I love those Bergs !! Great looking bike

I need to ride one to compare it to my 520 - probably not too much different, if at all seeing is they is all KTM too - but they do look Sexy. I also like the Ape 5.5 and the Beta's - Loves me sum expensive euro dirtbikes
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #18
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
01 klr 650 for me.

it can go wherever i care to take it, from twistys to singletrack.

I can always pick it up when i take it somewhere i shouldn't have.

it has just about as much power as i have skill....i would be over my head with a ktm 690 in the dirt, and im trying to go slower and see more anyway. too many of my past trips were just a blurr of trees. i just rode the tet and tet-s from Albany to Miami...a 3k+ mile trip and i have like 3 memories. i was just going too fast..not stopping enough. too busy going fast and trying not to fly off into the scenery.

I can fix it...all of it....though ive never had to...it just keeps on putting.

its like a lego bike...i add stuff, take it off, add other stuff...i enjoy that.

when it dies...ill just pick up another for 2k and transplant all the good bits on it and away i go.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #19
Duken4evr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmequint View Post
Here's my old school steed....All I can say just enough power to do what I want, easy to ride, easy to maintain, easy to repair..
Ah, the '83 XL600. To this day I think the early XLs are the best Japanese dual sport ever made. Able to cruise easily on the highway, quite competent off road, and bombproof reliable. Due to the time of my life I owned it (mid 20s, single, carefree punk) my '83 XL600 was probably the most fun bike I have ever owned. A few pics then, from the way back machine!

Said earlier the 'Berg does sick wheelies? Nothing compared to the XL. Solid and perfectly controllable power and perhaps aided by the fact I was a crazy young punk. Did 5 gear mono jobs on that thing, literally for miles Funny factoid though, the current 'Berg responds better to stand up wheelies, while the XL was good to go just sitting down, with an easy to monitor balance point. Quite sure that even though it has been almost 25 years, given a 15 minute reacclimation time, I could still ride wheelies for miles on a good running XL600 :)

Most pics of me on my XL have the front end in the upright and locked position. We just rolled that way!

Mods to the XL consisted of an XR500 suspension (longer travel, gotten from a completely blown up donor bike) and a Supertrapp muffler. Did something with the twin carbs too - bent the tang so they basically opened together. This made for barkier low end wheel lifting response. It had 40K miles on it when I sold it. Never a single problem of note. Always ran synthetic oil as the engine has minimal finning and is a hot runner, but other than that, just ordinary maintenance and no special care. I rode the hell out of that thing and it earned my respect and admiration. Bought it for $1,200 back then with maybe 3,500 miles and sold it for $800 with 40K miles. Good times...

Duken4evr screwed with this post 04-24-2012 at 07:41 PM
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #20
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,375
There is no right or wrong answer to the original post. It's subjective.

"ride what you have" comes to mind. Or, ride what's "paid for".

The KLR is my select-choice of affordable donkey-two wheeled jeep "crap moving device"

Not a precision instrument. It's the home made hammer of motor bikes. The tool you grab when you dont want to scratch something nice. It's unsophisticated (spelling?) and I like that.

If it was in a cigarette advertisement, I would select it because it fits my personality, and it makes me smile.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #21
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
I own a DR 650. 2008 model in black and white...which they say is the fastest :)

I bought a DR because I was looking for a reliable ride with the ability to handle some nice upgrades to make it unique. Is it the best thumper? Well...that is completely subjective. I think it will do everything that I ask it to and will perform well within my abilities.

In a perfect world I'd definitely own two bikes or even three. However since this is reality and everything costs money....the DR was the best bike I could find to spend MY money on.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #22
wiswoodsguy OP
Kmart shopper

I was never looking for the perfect answer, just wanted to know why YOU loves your wagon

Yeah, it's subjective
Old 04-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #23
wiswoodsguy OP
Kmart shopper

Kickin it old skool

Here was one of my first Thumps - 88 XT 600 - donned the comfy couch. I traded a mountain bike for it (Cannondale so not a cheapy) - put on over 10K whilst I sheltered her. What it lacked in suspension it made up for in torquey motor - my first wheelie machine. Riding it on single track was a nightmare - even jeep trails proved to be hideous - she loved the gravel and pavement she did. Throw the wife on back and we could explore the inner depths of middle earth - created lots of fond memories on this bike. I sold it back to the original owner - he still has it and would sell it back if I wanted. I actually really miss this bike due to its big fat comfy red seat - ALL DAY COMFORT I do not miss the brakes thou - cuz it really never had any worth mentioning - especially the rear drum. I could slow the beast down - but was not the bike to do stoppies on The only other flaw that this bike had, was that there was no e start in that year - and she was a brute to fire up at the start of each season. My right leg still aches when I think about kickin that monster slug of a piston till it fired. It had to be a day that all the stars were aligned - then she cooperated - and probably the biggest reason I sold it. The next owner had the timing re-set and fixed the starting issue - from there on out she was prob-free.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #24
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
I really like this thread... I'm in the market for my first DS and enjoy hearing the specifics of each make/model. I started a thread in Thumpers called "Buying my first DS... Help!" last week... check it out if interested to read about my predicted riding scenarios and feel free to offer some advice if you'd like! I think I've pretty much narrowed it down to a DR650 or pre-'08 KLR650... but am still open to suggestions and opinions.

By the way I like seeing those pics of the old XL... My dad had a '87 (I think?) XL350 and I always loved riding it around... My first experiences with a DS.

Thanks!
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #25
INTMD8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
To this day I think the early XLs are the best Japanese dual sport ever made.
Nice pics! I have an absolute blast on my XL. I went through the mechanicals and it's been a great machine. Powerful and it is rather good at wheelies I've been considering buying a street bike but I keep thinking I won't use it much when I have a good running XL sitting there.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #26
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,657
In the beginning, I was a little unsure that this 2010 Husky TE450 was gonna fill the bill for me, but I think it's been working on me now for over a year, and I've come around to think it's the perfect thumper dual sport for me. 2 quart oil sump is as big as my Versys capacity. The gear box is a little too close ratio but in the rough stuff, I ALWAYS have a perfect gear. With a 1t bigger CSS, I run 65mph at 6000 RPMs. I have 8000 miles on it now and it's one tough SOB, runs like a scalded dog, EFI has been flawless, after sorting out a bad fuel pump and replacing the pump strainer and fuel filter at 6000 miles. It has electric and kick start. It's expensive staying in a fresh 140 rear DOT knobby, but hey, it's gonna spin when I gas it so.....

AustinJake screwed with this post 04-25-2012 at 10:24 AM
AustinJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #27
LostHighway
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Klr650

It's the best 'cause it's cheaper than most. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to run. Goes perhaps not as fast, but just as far. I don't cry when it tips. I never need to fix it. I ride 400 km between fill-ups. No one ever tries to steal it, yet I still get the "thumbs up" at stoplights. I modify it endlessly. I find information about it everywhere. Everyone knows it. Most love it. Those who don't... secretly do. The KLR650. The best thumper ever made.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #28
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 401
Good gawsh, I think you were just the last straw to convince me to go down the street and get one after I sell my R1150R
Ricky Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #29
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Ride The World? Where Do You Venture To?

Seems to me the KLR guys are the ones here so far who "get it". As mentioned, all very subjective. BUT ...
This forum ... last I checked .... is called Adventure Rider ... Ride The World.

I love dirt bikes ... but how far will you get on a dirt bike? Can you carry 60 to 80 lbs. of gear off road and ride 10 hours a day, rain, shine or dark? The KLR can, and so can my DR650 or XR-L, or XT. I've ridden dirt bikes since age 10, raced a bit, rode AMA Enduros. But we're on a Travel forum here, no? Not the time to focus on race bikes really or doing wheelies.

My DR650 is a budget travel bike, not a race bike ... , not fast, not sexy, but reliable as a stone, cheap and simple to service and goes good on just about any "road". It's seen at least part of the world, fully loaded in all kinds of conditions ... including 3 major tours through Baja. It rarely travels in a pick-up truck or Van ... and has never, ever broken down. But it's only got 45,000 miles, so a mere youngin'.

I'd like to see more members here ... especially the young guys ... go somewhere. See how you do in Bolivia or Mongolia (on your race bike if you like). Girls go RTW SOLO, why so few of you doing it.

I did it all in my 20's (1970's) and put off school and family to itch the travel bug. Get it!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #30
wiswoodsguy OP
Kmart shopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Seems to me the KLR guys are the ones here so far who "get it". As mentioned, all very subjective. BUT ...
This forum ... last I checked .... is called Adventure Rider ... Ride The World.

I love dirt bikes ... but how far will you get on a dirt bike? Can you carry 60 to 80 lbs. of gear off road and ride 10 hours a day, rain, shine or dark? The KLR can, and so can my DR650 or XR-L, or XT. I've ridden dirt bikes since age 10, raced a bit, rode AMA Enduros. But we're on a Travel forum here, no? Not the time to focus on race bikes really or doing wheelies.

My DR650 is a budget travel bike, not a race bike ... , not fast, not sexy, but reliable as a stone, cheap and simple to service and goes good on just about any "road". It's seen at least part of the world, fully loaded in all kinds of conditions ... including 3 major tours through Baja. It rarely travels in a pick-up truck or Van ... and has never, ever broken down. But it's only got 45,000 miles, so a mere youngin'.

I'd like to see more members here ... especially the young guys ... go somewhere. See how you do in Bolivia or Mongolia (on your race bike if you like). Girls go RTW SOLO, why so few of you doing it.

I did it all in my 20's (1970's) and put off school and family to itch the travel bug. Get it!
Not to start a pissing match here old buck - but every time I leave my garage on one of my three bikes - its always an adventure. It really doesnt matter if Im going around the block or riding cross the state - its still got some sort of distance between Point A and Point B. Two of my Orange "dirtbikes" have plates and are capable of legal roadway travel - and even one has the cajones and the stamina to traverse the pavement(with copious amounts of gear - just as much as any KLR can stack on) My stock tank might not hold as much fuel as your DR or the comparable KLR - but it can reach a respectable distance between stops - and sometimes those stops can add another story that bodes very well with the adventure Im on.

Get off your soap box old man and realize that this here thread is to educate the masses of people, who dare to read it, on the many different bikes that could possibly adorn his/her garage. What you decide to own is purely what suits your needs - there is no perfect bike out there - but there are many that can put a huge smile on that ugly mug of yours. If your DR pleases you sooo much - then that is the best bike for you my friend - enjoy it well.

And if you truly have ridin round da world - I applaud you for your efforts. Some of us can only dream of doing that due to the constraints of our economic handcuffs. And if you didnt travel like you think you has - then shut the hell up old man and stop reading Peter Egan's travel log

I gotta go now and clean the bugs off my headlight