Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #46
PTRadam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd View Post
Webb has some experience with Aussie riders, so he should do just fine dealing with a menopausal head case.

I always thought Bret Metcalfe seemed pretty level headed. Or where you talking about someone else.
PTRadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #47
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,597
Rattray in for injured Villopoto.

http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/su...ace-villopoto/
zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #48
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen View Post

He'll be racing for first guy after Stewart and Dungey. Make Milsaps and company work for what they get.

Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #49
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
Did you miss this year's supercross season?????

I have always heard, "it is not the bike, it's the rider." I know that at this level, a well-set up bike can certainly help, but I think JS7 showed that he does not have his head in the game. He just does not give a shit.
this is pretty much his last chance to show the doubters (me included) they are wrong.

a 450 MX title would certainly go a long way towards proving he isn't done yet.

with Reed/RV out he couldn't ask for a better situation.

if he fails and hints that bike set up bike is to blame you can officially stick a fork in him.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #50
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,162
Quote:
I have always heard, "it is not the bike, it's the rider."
I guess you missed all those years the Honda was too stiff to be competitive?

That Stewart is done is only your opinion, regardless of whether you state it as fact. He won 2 more SX races this season than most of the field has won in their entire career.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #51
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
Quote:
Did you miss this year's supercross season?????

I have always heard, "it is not the bike, it's the rider." I know that at this level, a well-set up bike can certainly help, but I think JS7 showed that he does not have his head in the game. He just does not give a shit.
I don't know about that. He could have stayed home and sat on the couch all summer and collected a big fat pay check from the JGR team where he would have got paid the same whether he raced the outdoors or not, then made the switch to Suzuki in the fall, and never have to risk defeat in MX, and the egg on his face that would bring. But he's really put it all on the line, taking a massive pay cut from the well funded JGR to go race with Suzuki which didn't even have enough money to commit to a multi-year deal with Roger, arguably the best team manager in MX past, present, and future.

So if he really didn't give a shit, why would he give up the comfy couch cushion and big wad of cash to go grit it out in the outdoors, and the effort that requires, the risks it exposes him to both mentally and professionally, etc, etc?

Love or hate him, win or lose, seems like you'd have to acknowledge at least that.

That said, this is his last chance to either put up or shut up, as they say. If he does poorly, he's got to be thinking about retirement, and be remembered as tarnished at best. But if he comes out and kills it like he used to do, that's not going to be very good PR for Yamaha, that's for sure.

Personally, I think he will do OK. But Dungey is no slouch - he would have won last year's MX title if not for running out of gas on the last lap at Texas. Not to mention starting nearly a lap down at Southwick because the bike wouldn't start. Dungey is easily Villopoto's match outdoors, and Reed's too, so just because RV and CR are out, doesn't mean the competition is not there. Even if both RV and CR were there, my money would still be on Dungey. I wouldn't be too surprised if either one of them won the series, but I'd have to give the edge to Dungey for his consistency, fitness, work ethic, and DeCoster in his corner, and the fact that JS hasn't raced more than one race outdoors in 4 years. What JS has going for him is the raging fire in his belly to prove himself after being knocked down a few notches these past few years.

I doubt either one of them is going to run away with it, though. Hopefully the racing is good, I think it will be.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #52
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Stewart racing for no salary

50 minute interview with JS from yesterday:

One notable is that he's racing for no salary from Suzuki, so he's basically riding for free, aside from his own personal sponsors. Just thought that was interesting, not something you see too often.

http://www.pulpmx.com/moto_show/arch...ow-stewart.mp3

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 05-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #53
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
50 minute interview with JS from yesterday:

One notable is that he's racing for no salary from Suzuki, so he's basically riding for free, aside from his own personal sponsors. Just thought that was interesting, not something you see too often.

http://www.pulpmx.com/moto_show/arch...ow-stewart.mp3
I read that his gear sponsorship is $2.5 million, alone!
Old 05-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #54
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,365
Interesting listen. Good find.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #55
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJxr View Post
didnt barcia run a 450 at unadilla last year?
I saw that race in person and was very impressed with his ride.

If he does ride a 450 outdoors I predict him being a threat.

Didn't see too much bouncing the 450 off the rev limiter like he did on the 250 either.

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #56
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post

So if he really didn't give a shit, why would he give up the comfy couch cushion and big wad of cash to go grit it out in the outdoors, and the effort that requires, the risks it exposes him to both mentally and professionally, etc, etc?
because he's not very bright?

as far as the "effort" required. sorry. I (and probably you too) have friends who bang nails into wood for a living and they're pushing 60 now. talk to them about effort. when James Stewart is ready to hump 2 packs of shingles at a time up a ladder onto a roof. repeatedly, I'll consider it effort.

Until then him and the rest of them have it pretty easy all things considered.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #57
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
Entirely plausible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
as far as the "effort" required. sorry. I (and probably you too) have friends who bang nails into wood for a living and they're pushing 60 now. talk to them about effort. when James Stewart is ready to hump 2 packs of shingles at a time up a ladder onto a roof. repeatedly, I'll consider it effort.

Until then him and the rest of them have it pretty easy all things considered.
No disagreement on that for sure, but I was speaking in relative terms. Relative to sitting on the couch and collecting a pay check for doing essentially nothing. The point is, it sounds like he wants to be out there, as opposed to just cashing a pay check.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 05-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #58
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
Exact opposite maybe???

As I understand it, JS7 made/makes far more dough from outside sponsors than from the company that supplies the motorcycles (he is reportedly riding MX for free.) It could be possible that his other sponsors told him to shit or get off the pot. JS7 realizes that his potential for earning the lifestyle that he has become accustomed to is coming to an end and it is time to put something in the bank for the future.

That would be very smart.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #59
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Predictions

Villopoto out yet another series due to injury. Gotta admit, I'm not terribly surprised, but at least he wrapped up the SX championship before it happened. Not a contender.

Canard out. I love that guy to death, but again, not terribly surprised about that one either. Not a contender.

Reed out with injury. A bit out of character for him, usually solid and consistent when he was content finishing second. But after a some late career tastes of victory after a mid-career lull, he pushed to the ragged edge trying to keep up with the Ryans, his consistency took a nose dive these past couple of series. Not a contender.

Stewart is a recovering couch potato. Recent history repeating itself demands that he will underperform.

Grant is made of glass. Likely won't last to mid-season.

Short, hmmm. Maybe a win. Doubtful he puts two together.

Alessi, a possible contender. But again, history is not on his side.

Milsaps might do something. He seems to be riding pretty well and has some momentum going, maybe the confidence he needs to get some good results.

Regal, Rattray, Metcalf - the best of the rest.

Am I forgetting anyone?

Oh yeah, that Ryan Dungey kid. He just might quietly pull off another MX championship.

All joking aside, I can't wait for it to get started and hope the racing is close and the championship comes down to the last turn of the final round.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 05-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #60
SGrider
376 miles to Chicago

Oddometer: 873
I sometimes think Stewart believes the fastest man on the planet hype, but while he was fucking off new riders have come along with amazing resolve and stamina, by that I mean Dungey and Villipoto and there are so many coming up the pipeline that aren't going to see him as unbeatable. Even Chad Reed who it seems was starting to see the end of his career coming stepped it up a notch and started riding much harder than he used too because the window for winning is shrinking everyday.

He is still fast but I just don't think he has the focus necessary to actually challenge for a championship anymore, even with so many fast guys out injured. Dungey will be there every week and doesn't have a history of faceplanting, and just from the Monster shootout up till now you can see how much the KTM has improved. Plus it has likely motivated everyone at KTM to work ever harder now that they know the bike and rider are winners.
SGrider is offline   Reply With Quote