Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #211
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Draft View Post
Im going tonight to pick up a 350 exc-f after ridding one last night at the dealer.

I also road a 350 xcf-w

I like the low end grunt of the xcf-w but I was not able to get it up to 60 to see what it felt like.

The exc-f was great at 60.
If I drop one gear in the front on the exc-f would it feel like xcf-w down low and would the crusing speed at 60-65 still be ok.
The XCF-W comes stock with crazy low gearing (13-52).......I have mine set at 14-50 which seems pretty good (to me) for general dual sport use.....

I believe the EXC comes stock with 14-52 in 2013 (I believe it was 14:45 in 2012)

I put a 14T counter sprocket on my XCF-W immediately.......but 14-52 still seemed a bit low........I'm pretty happy with 14-50....
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com

Crawdaddy screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 11:10 AM
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #212
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Im going tonight to pick up a 350 exc-f after ridding one last night at the dealer.

I also road a 350 xcf-w

I like the low end grunt of the xcf-w but I was not able to get it up to 60 to see what it felt like.

The exc-f was great at 60.
If I drop one gear in the front on the exc-f would it feel like xcf-w down low and would the crusing speed at 60-65 still be ok.
I've been using a 13/48 for the past 1500 miles and like that combo. Still can run 65-70 mph and have great use of bike off road. Stock chain works with this also.
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #213
The Draft
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog86 View Post
I've been using a 13/48 for the past 1500 miles and like that combo. Still can run 65-70 mph and have great use of bike off road. Stock chain works with this also.
On the street with 13/48 gearing 65MPH is not a problem.
The Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #214
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Has anybody here richened up their 350? I was thinking that I would send my throttle body off to bestdualsportbikes.com for their Magic Mod before I even rode it, but it does not sound like anybody here has richened up their 350 at all... I was also going to purchase an FMF "Snap" intake wing, just because I have read so many good things about it (or fab up my own).
How about the stock battery? Is it holding up for most of you guys?
I am hoping that my dealer will throw me a 13t counter shaft sprocket for free, because, by the sound of it the stock 14/45 (2012 EXC model) gearing will be way too high for New England.
What did you guys receive in the KTM goodie bag when you received your bikes?
Old 03-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #215
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

I also saw this on the Enduro360 web site:

"There is a charcoal canister and fresh air pump, each located under the tank. Removing these might cause a poor running condition as they are designed to work together. For example, the gas tank breather hose is on a vacuum to recover fumes. These fumes are fed into the air intake and on to the cylinder. Removing the hoses that route this will cause a lean running condition."
Old 03-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #216
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
I also saw this on the Enduro360 web site:

"There is a charcoal canister and fresh air pump, each located under the tank. Removing these might cause a poor running condition as they are designed to work together. For example, the gas tank breather hose is on a vacuum to recover fumes. These fumes are fed into the air intake and on to the cylinder. Removing the hoses that route this will cause a lean running condition."
The Euro spec map for the ecu fixes this problem. Make sure the dealer knows this a "race use only" bike and they can set you up.
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #217
Big Augie
Transient

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog86 View Post
The Euro spec map for the ecu fixes this problem. Make sure the dealer knows this a "race use only" bike and they can set you up.
Wink, wink.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:33 AM   #218
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like most of the posters in this thread have not done *anything* to richen up their 350's...
I am also a bit puzzled as to whether most people here have removed the smog equipment, of if they have just left it intact. I would like to remove it, just to unclutter the engine bay. If it helps the bike run better, that would be good. I saw that Bestdualsportbikes has a free kit, and I also found the Blais racing kit, the comes with a long, pre-bent, molded hose, for something like $40. This kit comes with the rubber cap, a screw and fiber washer, and the hose that connects to the exhaust manifold. The free BDSB kit does not address the exhaust side, it seems.
Again, I have not taken delivery of my 350 yet, but I am trying to gather as much accurate information as I can, so I can get it ready to ride ASAP.
I really do appreciate everybody's input.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #219
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like most of the posters in this thread have not done *anything* to richen up their 350's...
I am also a bit puzzled as to whether most people here have removed the smog equipment, of if they have just left it intact
After delivery of my EXC, I left my engine stock for a number of rides so I could get a sense of what it feels like from the factory. On slow single track mine was popping on decel, typical lean behavior, and on big hit throttle sometimes there was a bit of a delay. Also the little screen on the back muffler blew out after my first or second ride, that made the bike run even more lean.

So I followed in the footsteps of e-tickets de-smogifyin posts. Not a big job, I just plugged the SAS tube (left canister attached to exhaust) , removed the canister and hoses, then plugged the intake manifold with a screw from my tool kit bits. I used a little ATV on the intake manifold screw to avoid any leaks. Lots of good pics in e-tickets posts.

This cleaned up the popping noises and throttle response was improved. I think this is probably what a stock xcf-w feels like after delivery. After a number of rides, I still noticed it was running a bit lean, so had my local dealer flash the ECU with the unrestricted EU...0701 map. This was the ticket for my bike. My average gas mileage now after the mods is around 45mpg (5.22 L/100km), not bad, and it runs perfect for my taste.

'14 KTM 1190 Adv, '12 KTM 350EXC, '09 Yamaha WR250R
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #220
dvwalker
Working to ride

Crawdaddy, thanks for the life line pics, you have some nice riding in your area. Now if the weather gods would just let Spring begin in my neck of the woods. Still too much snow in the hills.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #221
The Draft
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
I am also a bit puzzled as to whether most people here have removed the smog equipment, of if they have just left it intact. I would like to remove it, just to unclutter the engine bay. If it helps the bike run better, that would be good. I saw that Bestdualsportbikes has a free kit, and I also found the Blais racing kit, the comes with a long, pre-bent, molded hose, for something like $40. This kit comes with the rubber cap, a screw and fiber washer, and the hose that connects to the exhaust manifold. The free BDSB kit does not address the exhaust side, it seems.
Again, I have not taken delivery of my 350 yet, but I am trying to gather as much accurate information as I can, so I can get it ready to ride ASAP.
I really do appreciate everybody's input.
I went to the dealer last night and test road the 500exc and loved the power and filled out all the paper work down to my final signature.
At the last second I decided to go with the 350exc-f. The reason of coming off a 450 sx-f and looking for something more forgiving in the woods made we switch.
With the right gearing (still trying to figure that out) I'm excited about it.

Have not taken delivery of it and trying to get everything in line with your guys help!
The Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #222
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
I used a little ATV on the intake manifold screw to avoid any leaks.

like this?

Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #223
dvwalker
Working to ride

Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #224
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,205
Quote:
....looking for something more forgiving in the woods.....with the right gearing (still trying to figure that out)..... trying to get everything in line with your guys help!
I think the 2013 350 EXCs come with 14/52 gearing as opposed to the 14/45 gearing the 2012 EXC came with.......you might find that gearing perfect "as is".......my 2012 XCF-W came with 13/52 which was way too low for basic dualsport......I switched counter sprockets immediately and went with 14/52....still a bit too low (for me)......I settled on 14/50 (for now)......steel counter/rear sprockets are cheap.....mess around and find out what combo works best (for you)....
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #225
Capp
Resident

Oddometer: 87
My 2013 350 EXC came with 14/45 gearing also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
I think the 2013 350 EXCs come with 14/52 gearing as opposed to the 14/45 gearing the 2012 EXC came with.......you might find that gearing perfect "as is".......my 2012 XCF-W came with 13/52 which was way too low for basic dualsport......I switched counter sprockets immediately and went with 14/52....still a bit too low (for me)......I settled on 14/50 (for now)......steel counter/rear sprockets are cheap.....mess around and find out what combo works best (for you)....