Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #256
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
The computer housing rises above the mask because I added a 2.5" lower clamp.
The dimmer switch can be seen from the picture over the top of the unit. It is very very stable with the mask extensions from BD. With the stock headlight it sat flush against the computer housing and didnt cause any problems. Hope it helps
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #257
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Getting bored of reading about the 350 EXC-F. I've had a deposit on a '13 for 4 months now. Would be nice to ride one someday...if any dealers will actually get one anytime soon. What's up with KTM USA and the lack of available product...other than SX and XC models?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #258
The Draft
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Has anyone put 17inch rims (second set) and set up like a supermoto for the street when your not getting dirty?
The Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #259
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Oh great! Now I need to tell my wife that my shiny new dirt bike needs a new headlight too!

Thanks for the pictures guys, nice bikes! Can't wait to ride mine.

Oh, any tips for moving the indicator lights safely? The wiring gives enough room to top mount the computer I take it? I wish there was more depth to the metal where the indicators live. If mine were hanging out in the breeze, I KNOW exactly where the first tree-branch I ran through would end up! Right in the most expensive spot that's where.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #260
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider View Post
Getting bored of reading about the 350 EXC-F. I've had a deposit on a '13 for 4 months now. Would be nice to ride one someday...if any dealers will actually get one anytime soon. What's up with KTM USA and the lack of available product...other than SX and XC models?
It's simple economics, really. The 500 is outselling the 350 by almost 3 to 1. And they are selling everything that they can make. So we wait for the next "batch".

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #261
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
I just put a deposit down on a 350 EXC-F, and all of the reviews I have read said that it was just an amazing machine. What surprises me is that, unless there is another 350 EXC-F thread around here somewhere that I do not see, this thread is not very active, and the 350 EXC-F does *not* seem to be a very popular machine.
The 500EXC-F thread is 10x as long as this one! (18 pages vs 229 pages!)
What is going one here?? Maybe I should switch my deposit to a 500 before it is too late...
Old 03-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #262
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,334
Would bet they're selling a lot more 500's, but that doesn't mean anything. They're so similar, don't even know that there really needs to be two separate threads anyway.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #263
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
...this thread is not very active...
This is ADV Rider.....lot's of folks ride big burly bikes and don't want to be seen on a mere 350cc machine.......whatever, some us have discovered what the others are missing........sometimes less IS more.....
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #264
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Good observations, I guess. Has anybody here had any serious ride-ablity or reliability problems with their 350's? I have seen a few comments that seem to indicate that the biggest issue is re-mapping the ECU. Whether the issue is forfeiting the warranty, or figuring out which map is the right one, or getting your dealer to cooperate at all, remapping seems to be the one hurdle that people have had trouble with. Yet others say that the bike is just fine as-is (as long as the muffler screen does not fall out in the first 50 miles).
I am asking these questions because my purchase is not final yet, but it will be tomorrow. I want to ask my dealer if he indeed will be cooperative when I want to re-map, before I pay him. This is a big dealership, so I would have to imagine that their service dept. has the XC-1 re-mapping tool.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #265
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
This is ADV Rider.....lot's of folks ride big burly bikes and don't want to be seen on a mere 350cc machine.......whatever, some us have discovered what the others are missing........sometimes less IS more.....
Even on KTMtalk the 350 EXC does not appear to get a whole lot of attention. maybe that is a good thing? Is there another, more active discussion board for the 350 EXC's?
Old 03-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #266
Capp
Resident

Oddometer: 87
What dealer did you purchase your bike from? I traveled to MA from Long Island to get my bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
Good observations, I guess. Has anybody here had any serious ride-ablity or reliability problems with their 350's? I have seen a few comments that seem to indicate that the biggest issue is re-mapping the ECU. Whether the issue is forfeiting the warranty, or figuring out which map is the right one, or getting your dealer to cooperate at all, remapping seems to be the one hurdle that people have had trouble with. Yet others say that the bike is just fine as-is (as long as the muffler screen does not fall out in the first 50 miles).
I am asking these questions because my purchase is not final yet, but it will be tomorrow. I want to ask my dealer if he indeed will be cooperative when I want to re-map, before I pay him. This is a big dealership, so I would have to imagine that their service dept. has the XC-1 re-mapping tool.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #267
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
In desert racing, the 500 has a higher top speed on the straighter, flatter sections. The 500 has more torque, so lugs down better and requires less shifting. It also carries momentum better through sand. Used as a dual-sport, the 500 runs more easily (less rpm, wear & tear) at highway speeds, yet is only 9 lbs. heavier. Given that the cost is almost identical, most Americans (bigger is better) choose the 500 (by about 3 to 1 as noted above).

For me, however, even the 350 is more bike (engine) than I will ever use effectively. Only more street-friendly manners would tempt me to a 500.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:37 AM   #268
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capp View Post
What dealer did you purchase your bike from? I traveled to MA from Long Island to get my bike.
Valley Motorsports in Northampton. I know that a lot of people go to Cliff's...
Old 03-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #269
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
In my case, I am looking for a street legal bike that is at home in tight technical, rock, root, and rut infested single track. I value nimble handling and easy to modulate power over outright thrust. I think I made the right decision . Snowing here again this weekend so I guess I'll have to wait some more to find out!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #270
Scubatoe
Trained monkey

Oddometer: 189
I spent the last year saving my tax free income while on vacation in tropical Afghanistan anticipating picking up a 500EXC upon return.

I waited an entire week after making it home before visiting Reno KTM, only to be told they were expecting their next shipment in a few months.

In the meantime, I came across this thread and you lot convinced me that the 350 is more what I'm looking for to replace my 625SXC.

Thursday, I dropped in to Reno KTM again to pick up a new HD 18" tube to replace the one that was lost to what can only have been a samurai sword lying on the trail, based on the damage it did, during my celebratory return ride in the desert between 29 Palms and Yuma.

Lo and behold the KTM gods indicated their favor by laying a mysterious shipment of orange bikes at Reno KTM mere hours (or days...) before my arrival.

Long story not so short, I will be picking up my new 350 XCF-W next week. Thanks for the insight, gentleman, and the laundry list of shit I now have to buy and bolt on.

Cheers,
Scoob

P.S. - in case you missed it, Reno KTM now has a few 500 & 350 EXCs and XCF-Ws in stock.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Scubatoe is offline   Reply With Quote