Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #121
Taurkon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
I'm not seeing much here regarding the reliability of the 350EXC. I am seriously considering picking up a couple of these bikes for my wife and I for some dual sport riding, but have a few questions:

1. Year of bike?
2. Real world valve adjustment intervals?
3. Oil change intervals?
4. What mileage do you have on your 350EXC ?
5. Any significant issues related to mileage?
6. Maximum time you have spent on one ride on the tarmac?

Really appreciate those of you who can provide this feedback. Living in Canada, I loose almost 6 months of riding due to weather, and am thinking of hauling the bikes to warmer US destinations during the winter months in my covered utility trailer and then spending a week or so riding. For example, I'd like to ride the Mojave Trail this February or March and sometimes the big adventure bikes (990A and F650GS) are just a bit too much, especially for the wife. They are also much more costly to repair when you are constantly dropping them.

Cheers!

2007 KTM 300 XCW

Taurkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #122
calltrex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I'm in canada

I love the 350

Just upgrade the fuel filter and just ride for a long time.

Easy maintenance

2012 KTM 390 EXC-F
Old 01-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #123
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurkon View Post
I'm not seeing much here regarding the reliability of the 350EXC. I am seriously considering picking up a couple of these bikes for my wife and I for some dual sport riding, but have a few questions:

1. Year of bike?
3. Oil change intervals?

Really appreciate those of you who can provide this feedback. Living in Canada, I loose almost 6 months of riding due to weather, and am thinking of hauling the bikes to warmer US destinations during the winter months in my covered utility trailer and then spending a week or so riding. For example, I'd like to ride the Mojave Trail this February or March and sometimes the big adventure bikes (990A and F650GS) are just a bit too much, especially for the wife. They are also much more costly to repair when you are constantly dropping them.

Cheers!
I'd like to hear some feedback, too. My impression so far is that the new KTM's are better than those from 2000-2006 in a Dual Sport role. However, they still seem to be primarily race bikes that CAN be dual-sported, and not dual-sports from the wheels up.

The 350's have DOHC valve trains, while the 500's are SOHC. How much more difficult are the DOHC valves to check and adjust clearance?

The 500's seem to do better on the highway. Any 350 owner's have an opinion here? Higher revs?, more vibes? There is some information on the 500 thread but not much direct comparison. Everything I've seen so far suggests that for a few more dollars and only 9 lbs. more weight, the 500 is the better DS, especially on the highway. Also, that the new 500 is a more mellow torque hit than previous bikes, and isn't as tiring to ride as a 525/530. Anyone want to chime in with another (350-EXC-F) point of view?

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #124
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVTuga View Post
How i did it ???
Nice work!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #125
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurkon View Post

1. Year of bike?
3. Oil change intervals?

Cheers!
I bought a 2013 350 exc-f about 2 months ago. 1300 miles right now on it and every one of them is a total blast. I am still adding mods to the bike to suit my needs. I get about 50-58 mpg. I ride forest trails and pavement. I have taken it to 68 mph with stock gearing and stock DOT knobbies. I have spent a couple hours straight riding at 55-65 mph. Is it super plush and smooth at that speed for that long?..of course not. Its a dirt bike. Would I do it again for that long and more?.. Absolutely its still a blast to ride cause its a dirt bike.

I added a 20l KTM tank, Seat Concept seat (Its a absolute must if your ass ever plans to even touch the seat for any amout of time), KTM hard parts skidplate (Works great/is a pain in the ass to put back on every oil change though), RTE Top rack with side panniers from www.Globetrottin.com, Rotopax 1 gallon water and 1 gallon gas cans will be here in a couple days to attach to the Top Rack via the Rotopax panels from Globetrottin (my brother rides a 2 stroke so we can't syphon gas and mix easily on the trail and I drink water like a fish),
Just got the HDB Top clamp/lowers/ultimate handguards from paul at www.Highwaydirtbikes.com. Powerlet added into the top clamp to charge my Iphone and GoPro, also can charge my battery without removing seat from the powerlet. Hardwired my Montana 650 as well. Next step is to mount my Pelican case to the top rack to lug around my DSLR and 70-300mm lens around safely. (I shoot a lot of stills and video wherever I go). Here's a pick from a couple weeks ago from a day trip across the valley. Saddlebags are Wolfman e-12 with a Lowepro lens case and tossed my DSLR into my Wolfman Enduro tank bag.
[IMG][/IMG]
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #126
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
I have the same questions about reliability, fuel mapping and wether or not a dual map switch will work with the 350 EXC-F... but I'm going to get it anyway. I have a deposit on one but am just waiting for it to come in. I'm what's called an exploratory style rider. Just like to have fun with no aspirations of being the next David Knight. The 350 will be pefect for me. My 450X is a handful in the woods. This should be more enjoyable.

Sounds like the Euro map is the way to go. I wouldn't mind a map that reduces power and response too for the really technical or slippery stuff. I'm considering the plastic TM Designworks skid plate instead of aluminum this time around. The stock handguards have to go too. I crash so Pro-Bends are a must to save my levers.

The waiting is frustrating.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #127
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,081

Nice set up banhxeo
Honkey Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #128
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
DV - What 5 watt LED did you buy to replace the stock headlight? Link please
congrats crawdaddy!!! sounds like you're putting that poor old wrr out to pasture...

led bulb? Sicass, but not finding it in their current online catalog, might drop steve a note....my guess is wasn't the best chinese build quality, nothing a little RTV couldn't fix though...mine is still working

'14 KTM 1190 Adv, '12 KTM 350EXC, '09 Yamaha WR250R
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #129
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,560
Just got the HDB Top clamp/lowers/ultimate handguards from paul at www.Highwaydirtbikes.com. Powerlet added into the top clamp to charge my Iphone and GoPro, also can charge my battery without removing seat from the powerlet.
[IMG][/IMG][/QUOTE]

Very nice. I'm in the process of almost exact same setup. Can you go into more detail on the HDB setup, pics, how its wired and what not? Thats the last piece of my puzzle.
wizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #130
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

This is the ADV top clamp, 2.5" lower clamp setup with the KTM comp. housing. I do not have a stering stabalizer as of yet, A 7/16" plate is offered at HDB for the scotts stabalizer if you have one or plan on getting one you might want to do it all at the same time as the M10 screws will line up a bit different I believe. Paul is really helpful at answering q's too as well as the 500exc forum has great q and a. The plug you see in the pics is my battery tender jr. attached to Powerlet cable. I had a friend actually do the wiring on the bike, he added an inline fuse on the Garmin hardwire and used the supplied Powerlet fuse and wiring harness from this kit http://www.powerlet.com/product/powe...48-harness/159.

Something to note..If you plan on using a Powerlet in your top clamp, consider having HDB add the mod to the top clamp for the Baja Designs ignition switch(its a larger hole than the powerlet) I wish now I would have gone that route.
Also by raising the height with the lowers and the computer housing the brake line was just short enough to potentially cause problems so we added a 2" longer brake cable which you see running across the top of my top clamp( couple of zip ties tonight and its secure)
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
Old 01-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #131
vladg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
. Hardwired my Montana 650 as well.
How you hardwire your Montana with protection case? I have the same one but I use Garmin cradle to use bike's 12V to power it for long trip.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #132
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by calltrex View Post

Just upgrade the fuel filter and just ride for a long time.
can you pls explain more detailed why/what/when/how? just got my new 350 waiting in the garage

cheers
steve
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #133
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladg View Post
How you hardwire your Montana with protection case? I have the same one but I use Garmin cradle to use bike's 12V to power it for long trip.
I use this Gizmovest. Its durable, doesn't slip out of your hand while your holding it and it attaches to my RAM mount great to keep it right where I want to position it. http://www.gizzmovest.com/CRStage.cf...2&MainNav=True

This is what my hardwire looks like..http://www.mountguys.com/ProductDeta...31-00&click=21

BanhXeo screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 03:24 PM
Old 01-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #134
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
led bulb? Sicass, but not finding it in their current online catalog, might drop steve a note....my guess is wasn't the best chinese build quality, nothing a little RTV couldn't fix though...mine is still working
I exchanged emails with Steve from Sicass this morning......here's his feedback on the 5W, " We do have those, in fact we were the ones that had them custom made. We found that the light did not give a good enough beam to ride at night, It is super bright if you look at it oncoming but not a good enough beam to ride with. Also when we had them out for a brief period one of our customers got a ticket riding with it on the road, LED,s are illegal for DOT . So we pulled them and are sitting on 200 of them. How many do you want, we will sell to you at your own risk.they are 24.95 each."

I bought one just for the hell of it......also bought their ~$15 Halogen step up bulb ( www.sicassracing.com P/N 21-301)

Maybe I'll step up and get the Baja Designs Squadron set up at some point.....but that's ~$375 after you buy the dimmer and I rarely ride at night.......First things first......In the short term I'm spending my extra farkle $$ on setting up the suspension......I'm ~235 w/o gear.......NOT your average 165lb. Austrian rider........so I'm getting new springs up front (.46 vs. .42 stock) and a new straight rate spring in the rear (76 vs. 69 stock) and a GPR (http://www.gprstabilizer.com/shoppin...s_ktm_xcw_2012 )
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #135
calltrex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I would use 48 front at least and 76 rear

I'm 210lbs