Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2014, 03:00 AM   #1396
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,629
I managed to get the plug out. There's no hole in the plug itself so I cleaned it and the plug hole in the stator cover. I put blue loctite on it and tightened it down pretty good. I'll see if it leaks tomorrow.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #1397
LU-E
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
T Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider1 View Post
I bought mine from Blais racing services, link: http://blaisracingservices.com/

It doesn't remove the T.

I don't understand why someone would want to?

Unless your bike is different than mine, the T is integral to the cooling system.

Does anyone have "real life" experience or data that shows removing the thermostat is a bad thing? I ask because I've read a lot of peoples opinions on this, but have yet to see anyone post any personal negative experience regarding thermostat removal.

My issue comes after installing an Acerbis tank, my thermostat housing hits both my tank and my radiator, eventually it will destroy my radiator.

I'm not trying to start a "thermostat war" here, I would just like to see if anyone has actually removed their t-stat and has had a negative effect.

LU-E screwed with this post 03-15-2014 at 03:59 PM
LU-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #1398
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by LU-E View Post
Does anyone have "real life" experience or data that shows removing the thermostat is a bad thing? I ask because I've read a lot of peoples opinions on this, but have yet to see anyone post any personal negative experience regarding thermostat removal.

My issue comes after installing an Acerbis tank, my thermostat housing hits both my tank and my radiator, eventually it will destroy my radiator.

I'm not trying to start a "thermostat war" here, I would just like to see if anyone has actually removed their t-stat and has had a negative effect.

As u know from above I've removed my bike's Tstat and I have a direct, in the radiator hose, real time temp readout that I can monitor while riding. If I'm cruisin' say 30 mph or greater I see the temp run around 160 degrees F. This is with an OAT around 80 degrees as it was today. When running slow of course the temp bumps the limit I have set on the controller for the fan and the fan kicks ON. With the fan running the temp stays around 220 but can go up (I've seen 240) if you're really working the engine and slow speed.......we do have a little bit of sand here in the desert.

So.....bottom line....I don't see any downside to having no Tstat for the weather and conditions I ride in anyways. The factory Tstat is a 158 degree unit.

Dave
Old 03-16-2014, 03:36 AM   #1399
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
Dave, did you have a temp gauge in before you removed the tstat? I know on some race cars, we'd actually see higher temps without a thermostat.
thetable is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #1400
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
Dave, did you have a temp gauge in before you removed the tstat? I know on some race cars, we'd actually see higher temps without a thermostat.
Yes I did and haven't noticed any differences to tell ya the truth......but I've only got about 500 total miles on the bike.....about 400 with Tstat.

I plan on riding a moderate amount here in the next couple/three months before the heat arrives and of course will be monitoring water temps and will report anything unusual.

Here's the unit that I use from TrailTech: http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gau...rature/722-eh5

And here's a really cool option to replace the thermostat and has a built in temp probe.....but don't know if it would fit with aftermarket gas tank like my Acerbis 3.0 gallon: http://www.trailtech.net/thermostat-...its-ktm-models

Dave
Old 03-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #1401
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,753
I don't see how removing the thermostat in a place like Nevada would be a problem. However in places that actually see cold temperatures I would think the engine would never get up to temp which is not good either. A couple weeks ago I was riding on the frozen trails and it was 7 degrees F. Even WITH a T-stat it took a while to get some heat in the radiators.
JMHO of course.

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:45 PM   #1402
LU-E
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
I don't see how removing the thermostat in a place like Nevada would be a problem. However in places that actually see cold temperatures I would think the engine would never get up to temp which is not good either. A couple weeks ago I was riding on the frozen trails and it was 7 degrees F. Even WITH a T-stat it took a while to get some heat in the radiators.
JMHO of course.
Keeping the thermostat in makes sense to me if I was riding in 7 degree weather, a majority of my riding is in Utah, Arizona, Nevada, and California, where I don't do a lot of riding with weather below freezing. I think I will buy a temp gauge like the one Rider1 uses to at least monitor my temps.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:38 PM   #1403
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by LU-E View Post
Keeping the thermostat in makes sense to me if I was riding in 7 degree weather, a majority of my riding is in Utah, Arizona, Nevada, and California, where I don't do a lot of riding with weather below freezing. I think I will buy a temp gauge like the one Rider1 uses to at least monitor my temps.

Thanks for the replies.

That sounds like a smart plan

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:58 PM   #1404
dionbilt
energetic beginner

Oddometer: 256
We drag race, and you dont need a thermostat for a race engine. But one thing on those motors, if the water flows too fast it cant transfer the heat properly. So we knock the center out to slow the water down. I would guess this might be the same concept for a bike. We also put a water wetter product in the radiator to help break the water tension, since we only run strait water.
dionbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #1405
jeffjones
"offroad shit"

Oddometer: 159
anybody looking for a good deal on a steering stabilizer? I bought a new scotts setup, but before I mounted it I mounted up this GPR v3 setup I just took off a 06 300 xc and go figure it fit good and worked properly mounted up (only thing I was unsure of was the frame tower pin mount really)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321355200670...witem=&vxp=mtr
Old 03-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #1406
Crab bait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
I took my 350 xcfw out for a 2 hour mudfest today. 3000 feet of elevation gain with a lot of roots, rocks and deep drainage ruts. What a great bike!
Crab bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #1407
bendbiker
n00b

Oddometer: 2
globletrottin rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
Did you sell Globetrottin rack and will you share your thoughts about it? I need a rack for the multiday adventures with my week old 2014 350EXC!!!
bendbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #1408
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
After 80 hours I finally had to replace the Headlight bulb. The hi beam went out at around 50 hours and the low beam went out tonight as I was headed down the street to the barracks tonight. It has been replaced with one of the Sicass Racing bulbs and I'll see how long it lasts in comparison.
JonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:15 PM   #1409
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,629
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #1410
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,231
Headed out on an "overnighter" this past weekend......5.3 gallons, camping gear, and no particular destination......

http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote