User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
ramblerdrver OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
"new" 1971 Yamaha AT1

Recently aquired a 1971 Yamaha AT1 125 (photo below...hopefully!). Runs and is complete, except for the side emblems and the "guts" in the exhaust. First 2-cycle bike I've had since the late 1960's.

A couple questions...it has Auto-lube but I'm not sure it's working. Therefore I'm running a 32-to-1 oil mixture, using outboard 2-cycle oil. Is this a good mix to use...or should it be richer or leaner? Is there a good way to check if the Auto-Lube system is working?

The exhaust is VERY noisey. Hopefully I have a good complete exhaust coming from eBay tht will make it quieter and keep th neighbors from throwing rocks at me. if not, does anyone cut these apart and rebuild them with the proper baffles and silencers?

Finally, a question that has nothing to do with motorcycles...anyoneelse out there know what the "OCCO" on the red OCCO sign stands for?

ramblerdrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,935
It's easy!!!!!!

Put your pre-mixed gas in the bike.......

Pull the auto-lube hose off.........

Start the bike and rev it up..........

Clean-up the oil that came out of the tube with shop rags......

Put hose back on and run bike with straight gas in the tank.....

Easy!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,513
I would use a better grade of 2 stroke oil, outboard engine rely on water cooling too.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,002
the thing looks incredibly stock. looks like the screw is missing on the back of the exhaust so the baffle might be missing = loud.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
the thing looks incredibly stock. looks like the screw is missing on the back of the exhaust so the baffle might be missing = loud.
I may be wrong, but my 76 DT125, has not only the expansion chamber part of the muffler, but a spark arrestor muffler thingy that attaches to it, routes inside the rear shock and out closer to the rear of the fender. You might be missing the actual muffler.

Looks nice, i gottta get mine running again!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfab View Post
I may be wrong, but my 76 DT125, has not only the expansion chamber part of the muffler, but a spark arrestor muffler thingy that attaches to it, routes inside the rear shock and out closer to the rear of the fender. You might be missing the actual muffler.

Looks nice, i gottta get mine running again!
on this model it should just have an internal removable arrestor/baffle. that one will be loud
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
Bud Tugly
Gnarly old curmudgeon

Oddometer: 233
Agree about the baffle likely being missing. The first thing lots of folks used to ddo it take them out, and without it the bike is very loud and lacking a spark arrester. You're also missing the tank badge, but it looks amazingly complete otherwise.

The autolube system is usually very reliable and is likely working OK but nake sure you check it to be sure. Running premix is fine for racing where you're running WOT most of the time, but if you're just putting around you'll foul plugs a lot more often than with the autolube system (in my experience).

Keep the air filter clean, use an excellent grade of oil, and those things will last a long time.
Bud Tugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
Droz88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Nice bike!

As far as the autolube goes just make sure the throttle cable which runs to the oil pump is adjusted correctly. That way at least you know that the correct oil/gas ratio is being delivered at all RPM's. Probably would be a good idea to disconnect the pump and take it apart and clean it along with replacing/cleaning the hoses. That way you'll know that there isn't any debris anywhere clogging or restricting the oil flow.

I have the service manual for this bike in a .pdf file if you'd like I can upload it.
Droz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
ramblerdrver OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droz88 View Post
Nice bike!

As far as the autolube goes just make sure the throttle cable which runs to the oil pump is adjusted correctly. That way at least you know that the correct oil/gas ratio is being delivered at all RPM's. Probably would be a good idea to disconnect the pump and take it apart and clean it along with replacing/cleaning the hoses. That way you'll know that there isn't any debris anywhere clogging or restricting the oil flow.

I have the service manual for this bike in a .pdf file if you'd like I can upload it.
I did check the oil pump today and it does seem to be working afterall.

I do have a Chilton's Manual covering this model (among many other) but it does leave a lot to be desired, so I would definitely appreciate getting a more factory published manual. How do I do this...send you a personal message with my email address?

And speaking of the Chilton Manual, I was reading a description in it of how to bleed the oil pump and the description doesn't sound exactly correct. It says..."remove bleed screw, then turn the pump starter plate until no more oil comes out". Shouldn't that be "till no more AIR comes out"?

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:48 AM   #10
Droz88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Sent! Good luck.
Droz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
ramblerdrver OP
Adventurer

[QUOTE=ramblerdrver;18534539.

I do have a Chilton's Manual covering this model (among many other) but it does leave a lot to be desired,

And speaking of the Chilton Manual, I was reading a description in it of how to bleed the oil pump and the description doesn't sound exactly correct. It says..."remove bleed screw, then turn the pump starter plate until no more oil comes out". Shouldn't that be "till no more AIR comes out"?

Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dros88 for the upload of the Yamaha manual covering my AT1.

I looked at what Yamaha says concerning bleeding the oil pump and it says "...remove the bleed screw then turn the starter plate until no more air comes out with the oil..."!!! Quite a bit different then what the Chilton manual says!!!
Old 04-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #12
Hunsta
Have guns will hunt

Oddometer: 5,457
Nice bike
As for the "Occo" sign. All I got as probably did you is air coolers and beauty products. And I used Occo oils. Occo petrolium products. And Occo pruducts.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #13
ramblerdrver OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunsta View Post
Nice bike
As for the "Occo" sign. All I got as probably did you is air coolers and beauty products. And I used Occo oils. Occo petrolium products. And Occo pruducts.
I put the question about the "OCCO" sign out to see if there might be any others on here who might be from Iowa, USA...especially NE Iowa and remember the product. "OCCO" stands for Oelwein Chemical Company, which sold farm feeds and maybe other farm products like seed, etc. Oelwein being Oelwein, Iowa...a small town in NE Iowa. Wouldn't mean much to anyone unless you grew up a block from the distributor in Oelwein and watched a lot of OCCO trucks go by in the 1950's. It may no longer be in business or maybe under another name.