User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
2whl-hoop OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
'84 rz350-what's it worth?

Non runner, but it turns over. It looks like it got dropped on right side, there's a small dent on the tank where the right bar likely hit it, and the rear brake pedal is folded back.

The handlebars are bent, there's no kick stand. I think the fairing on the headlight is not original because there are scratches on the left side. Front fender, side and rear plastics look to be ok. It looks fairly dirty and oxidized in the pictures. Sorry the photo's so small.

2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,530
The question is whats it worth to you or me? I shoot for a buck a cc but have been known to pay more. What are they asking?

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
Beat up and not running $500 up to a grand.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
2whl-hoop OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
The question is whats it worth to you or me? I shoot for a buck a cc but have been known to pay more. What are they asking?
The guy i spoke with on the phone said $2k, but he hadn't sent me the pictures yet. I had a couple of these in the early '90s, but I have no idea what they're going for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Beat up and not running $500 up to a grand.
That sounds reasonable to me.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
gplracing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
As anotherguy said $1000 if a far price.

Glyn
gplracing@hotmail.com
http://goo.gl/AazM9
gplracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,377
Had an 84 . I'd be more concerned with plastics and other damages. Motor stuff should be pretty easy if you can wrench.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
whisperquiet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
I sold my non-running yellow 1984 RZ350L (it lost the coolant/seized/holed the right piston) for $2500.00 with a clear title. The bodywork/seat/plastics/gas tank were all in very good shape + the bike had Toomey pipes and the airbox kit. It looked very good and I had spent a considerable amount of cleaning time on it to remove 27 years of built up dirt/gunk.

They are a cult bike that have a huge following.

Go here for the RZ crowd....... http://www.rzrd500.com/phpBB2/index....1bcce03e4b52b7
whisperquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,450
About $2500-$3000 not running you will steal it for that, I paid $2500 for my 79 Daytona Special, it only has 6K miles and been sitting for 26 years, I have dumped about 2K into it to get running. I bought new carbs, pipes, seals brake lines air filter and intakes, plus lots of little things, they add up

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #9
scrambler73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
RZ's are weird bikes when it comes to putting a "value" on them. They are all over the board price-wise. Ive seen beautiful, great running bikes sell for $2000.00, and then a few months later a pile of garbage in 10 different colours sells for the same amount.

Ultra low mile bikes are in a world of their own, but IMHO are still grossly undervalued. In the $4-$5k range.
The most Ive ever seen one sell for is $7000.00...and that was for an NOS (NEW) bike.

I think I recognize the bike in the photo. Is the seller in the North Metro? If so, I looked at it a few years ago when the price was $1500.00.... I walked due to the condition and lack of title. It needed EVERYTHING from cosmetics to tires, pitted fork tubes and on and on.... Just start making a list of the "needs", add it up and if its more than you can buy a nice "finished" bike for... walk away as well..

If its not the same bike I am thinking about, do you have any larger photos? 2g's is too much IMHO on just the info and small photo.

I know of one for sale that is in really nice shape for $3000.00.. Id say a "7" out of 10. It has some miles on it and needs tires, but overall a nice running/looking bike.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #10
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
The best way to value it is to try and determine how much you will need to put into it to get it running and back into cosmetic shape.
Without knowing how many miles are on it, the condition of the frame, electricals etc, it is difficult to give you much of an opinion.
Recent RZ's from 1983- 1984 with under 20,000 miles and in clean condition, have been selling in the $4-$5,000 range. With under 12,000 miles and in very clean condition from $6-$7,700 or so. (Don't ask, suffice to say I am a RZ fanatic and follow and keep all ebay auctions plus listing from various sources including raresportbikesforsale.com...)

This much I do know. If you can put it back into nice shape for 5g's or less, you will be riding one of the most fun bikes imaginable.
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #11
2whl-hoop OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler73 View Post

I think I recognize the bike in the photo. Is the seller in the North Metro? If so, I looked at it a few years ago when the price was $1500.00.... I walked due to the condition and lack of title. It needed EVERYTHING from cosmetics to tires, pitted fork tubes and on and on.... Just start making a list of the "needs", add it up and if its more than you can buy a nice "finished" bike for... walk away as well..

If its not the same bike I am thinking about, do you have any larger photos? 2g's is too much IMHO on just the info and small photo.

I know of one for sale that is in really nice shape for $3000.00.. Id say a "7" out of 10. It has some miles on it and needs tires, but overall a nice running/looking bike.
The seller is south of the metro. I asked about the title and he said it was clean. The pictures opened up in my email quite a bit larger, but when I uploaded one to photobucket, this is the size it is. I know you can reduce the size with photobucket, but I don't know if you can enlarge them.

It shows about 8700 on the odometer.

If you want to pm me the info on the one you know about for $3k, I might like to take a look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
The best way to value it is to try and determine how much you will need to put into it to get it running and back into cosmetic shape.
Without knowing how many miles are on it, the condition of the frame, electricals etc, it is difficult to give you much of an opinion.
Recent RZ's from 1983- 1984 with under 20,000 miles and in clean condition, have been selling in the $4-$5,000 range. With under 12,000 miles and in very clean condition from $6-$7,700 or so. (Don't ask, suffice to say I am a RZ fanatic and follow and keep all ebay auctions plus listing from various sources including raresportbikesforsale.com...)

This much I do know. If you can put it back into nice shape for 5g's or less, you will be riding one of the most fun bikes imaginable.
The seller sent me eight or ten pictures. The bodywork except for the headlight fairing looks pretty good, but all the bare aluminum parts are oxidized as well as the brake calipers and reservoir on the handlebar. The turn signals are later model Yamaha, not the originals. The close up of the guages show a film of dust and dirt, so it looks like it's been sitting for quite awhile.

There's no paint on the cylinders, so it's at least had some top-end work, but I bought a running RZ in '93 that only made it about 5-10 miles before it broke a piston, which fouled the crank. Tearing the motor down revealed a bunch of crap done by the previous owner that needed fixing, including replacing one of the cylinders. I spent as much rebuilding it as I paid for it, and it blew up two more times before I gave up on it (partly due to my ignorance about 2-strokes). A non-runner is more appealing in some ways because I know I'll have to tear it down, but I don't want to pay a premium without knowing what the condition is inside of it.

I emailed an offer of $800 and got no response, I guess he thought it was too low . I may try to look at it sometime this week, but I know I won't pay $2k for it.

Here's a head on picture, you can see the whole fairing is lopsided and the bar is bent. There are only two or three screws holding the windscreen on.

2whl-hoop screwed with this post 02-18-2012 at 12:51 PM
Old 02-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
scrambler73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
wow...I just did the completed Ebay check and looks like prices on the nicer bikes are FINALLY starting to get to the point where they belong.

as for the RZ for sale, Its been a while (last summer) since I talked to the guy, but I'll find out if its still for sale and shoot you a PM.

oh, and you mentioned a "dent in the tank"..... RZ's pretty much come standard with those dents...lol

If you rotate the handlebars even slightly back, turning lock to lock causes the switch pod to smack into it. Yamaha didn't quite put enough steering stop on them.

scrambler73 screwed with this post 02-18-2012 at 09:51 AM
scrambler73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #13
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
You are the only one that can make the call. If you have the expertise to rebuild the engine obviously you are going to save a lot right there. The body work in one piece also makes a big difference.
Oxydization on exposed aluminum, the calipers and reservoir...hell my '90's got a little over 10,000kms and has and is experiencing that. Calipers and reservoirs are cheap to replace though (and a good idea to upgrade) and you can't stop almost 30 year old aluminum from degrading. Personally I don't and wouldn't worry too much about that.
Without seeing the bike and having a chance to inspect it but knowing what you have shared... I'm thinking $1,000 to $1,500 tops.

But you know there is one thing you can't put a price on and that's the enjoyment and satisfaction you will have putting it back together and riding it afterwards.

I know you also won't want to hear this but.... nothing wrong with waiting a couple of months and seeing what else pops up. I know there aren't a lot of RZ's out there but they do have a strange way of popping up now and then. Usually right after you pick up a fixerupper....
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #14
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,450
Quote:
You are the only one that can make the call. If you have the expertise to rebuild the engine obviously you are going to save a lot right there. The body work in one piece also makes a big difference.
Oxydization on exposed aluminum, the calipers and reservoir...hell my '90's got a little over 10,000kms and has and is experiencing that. Calipers and reservoirs are cheap to replace though (and a good idea to upgrade) and you can't stop almost 30 year old aluminum from degrading. Personally I don't and wouldn't worry too much about that.
Without seeing the bike and having a chance to inspect it but knowing what you have shared... I'm thinking $1,000 to $1,500 tops.

But you know there is one thing you can't put a price on and that's the enjoyment and satisfaction you will have putting it back together and riding it afterwards.

I know you also won't want to hear this but.... nothing wrong with waiting a couple of months and seeing what else pops up. I know there aren't a lot of RZ's out there but they do have a strange way of popping up now and then. Usually right after you pick up a fixerupper....

You are so true about the satifaction, and also the money thing but the feeling of having done all the work and the enjoyment of ridding it is priceless

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
whisperquiet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:

The reason I sold mine for $2500.00............the new owner is having a full blown high HP engine build and won't have to put a lot of money into the cosmetics. Here is the thread on my old bike...........BTW, the new owner was initially po'ed when he stated looking it over at home as it does need a crank/piston kit/bore to get it running on a basic level.
They are great bikes (I previously owned a pristine 1985 red/white/blue one with the Toomey kit), but are fragile IMHO.
I just did not feel like messing with my latest RZ after it seized/holed the piston.

http://www.rzrd500.com/phpBB2/viewto...t=7343&start=0
whisperquiet is offline   Reply With Quote