User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
asrvivor OP
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Sidecars and ATGATT

As I sit here and wait for the call that my Ural is ready and on the way I am watching videos and daydreaming. One thing I noticed is in many of the videos no one wears a helmet. Is this common practice with sidecar rigs? I would say at least 50% of the videos I watch have riders and passengers without helmets. Is there a feeling of indestructibility on a sidecar rig? What is the law for us in the US (mainly Oregon) pertaining to sidecar rider and helmet? Isn't it required for the passenger?

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,247
2 wheels or 3 wheels I'm a fan of ATGATT. If you're not experienced driving a sidecar rig and you get in over your head, you and your monkey will be glad you have on all the gear.

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,962
This is a really good topic! I was ATGATT on my GS for years, so when I got a hack rig it was natural to wear the same gear. In fact, it felt downright UNnatural to not wear all the gear. I really don't care what others wear or don't wear as I consider that a personal choice; whether they be power rangers or pirates they'll not influence my choice.

I worked three years in a military ER, which probably colors my experiences a bit. I'd never go without a helmet, a jacket, gloves and boots. And before getting the hack I'd never gone without motorcycle pants as well. But it seems to me that crashes on a hack would typically result in less abrasion type injuries and more blunt trauma. I don't think my Stich would offer a lot more protection from blunt trauma than a pair of Levis. So now and then I putt around town in jeans, jacket, boots, gloves and helmet.

It feels a tad liberating.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by asrvivor View Post
As I sit here and wait for the call that my Ural is ready and on the way I am watching videos and daydreaming. One thing I noticed is in many of the videos no one wears a helmet. Is this common practice with sidecar rigs? I would say at least 50% of the videos I watch have riders and passengers without helmets. Is there a feeling of indestructibility on a sidecar rig? What is the law for us in the US (mainly Oregon) pertaining to sidecar rider and helmet? Isn't it required for the passenger?
In Oregon and most other states sidecars are considered motorcycles and must meet all the same legal requirements. You are required to wear helmet when operating a sidecar in Oregon.

There may be slightly less risk on a sidecar compared to riding a motorcycle, but the ground is just as hard. Wearing good gear is prudent. We all have to make our own decisions when managing risks, but indestructability is not one of the features of a sidecar
Old 04-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,387
Well said RedMenace. I like to dress for the crash myself. I have seen first hand not only how hard that ground is, but how FAST you meet it!

asrvivor, welcome to the fold...

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,462
And to add to what Red Menace, if your state law says that the passenger on a motorcycle has to wear a helmet, well guess what you're sidecar passenger is a passenger on a motorcycle. Helmet required.

As for ATGATT, when I'm sidecaring I'm AATGAATT--that's Almost All the Gear Almost All the Time. I do feel a little less exposed to low sides etc so I will sometimes wear a deerskin glove instead of an armoured glove, and I will sometimes wear jeans (short rides, around town) instead of legitimate riding pants. And I usually wear my Nolan Trilogy which qualifies as a full face helmet but really it isn't--it's a 3/4 helmet with a sturdy chin bar. That's the Nolan I'm wearing there in my avatar.

But riddle me this, asrvivo, where you seeing these vids with no helmets?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 AM   #7
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
Wife and I are both ATGATT with our RoadCrafters and full face Arai's.
Have done just the jacket of the RC on short errands, but I just don't like the feel.
Call it more comforting to be uncomfortable sometimes.
Cheers.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
NitroMax
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Atgatt !
1200 cc Z1000 dragbike (1976)
300 cc MZ transporthack (1989) winterhack
900 cc BMW R 90/6 hack ( 1976) summerhack
750 cc BMW K 75 RT ( 1993 ) daily driver

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter ( Mark Twain )
NitroMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
asrvivor OP
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
And to add to what Red Menace, if your state law says that the passenger on a motorcycle has to wear a helmet, well guess what you're sidecar passenger is a passenger on a motorcycle. Helmet required.

As for ATGATT, when I'm sidecaring I'm AATGAATT--that's Almost All the Gear Almost All the Time. I do feel a little less exposed to low sides etc so I will sometimes wear a deerskin glove instead of an armoured glove, and I will sometimes wear jeans (short rides, around town) instead of legitimate riding pants. And I usually wear my Nolan Trilogy which qualifies as a full face helmet but really it isn't--it's a 3/4 helmet with a sturdy chin bar. That's the Nolan I'm wearing there in my avatar.

But riddle me this, asrvivo, where you seeing these vids with no helmets?
Good responses guys. I have been searching a lot of youtube and other sites for vids of Ural riding. Most of the none atgatt I see I should say is overseas stuff ( overseas from the US). And a lot of it seems to be where the person/s are negotiating tough terrain. Like they take their gear off (especially helmet and jacket) to navigate a difficult section. Just trying to understand the thought process before I get my rig. Maybe I am being overly cautious in my thinking, it not like the thing hauls ass, but I feel wearing gear all the time makes me feel safer and more in control. Maybe just a mind thing, but when riding without gear on I always feel less in control. Or maybe it's less comfortable because I started from day one riding with all gear, and riding without is like riding as a noob again.

So this may be a stupid question. In the experience of peeps that have been riding these sidecar rigs for a while, what is the most common crash or get off that happens? When offing the bike, what hits first most often? ie: Shoulder, head, hands? Is it like dumping a 2 wheeler or are they different in how they throw you?

Thanks John

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
Very, very different.
Billtr96sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by asrvivor View Post
GSo this may be a stupid question. In the experience of peeps that have been riding these sidecar rigs for a while, what is the most common crash or get off that happens? When offing the bike, what hits first most often? ie: Shoulder, head, hands? Is it like dumping a 2 wheeler or are they different in how they throw you?

Thanks John
Boy, that's a really good question. I have no idea. Hope some of the long-timers will know the answer. I would guess a rollover of some sort, or a collision into the left-side guard rail on a right hand turn (or the other way around for Brits and Aussies.)
Old 04-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,338
I am ATGATT on two wheels and usually on three. Sometimes on three wheels, I will forego the overpants and just wear jeans, but I always wear the rest.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
Motomuffin
CSMC

Oddometer: 539
I have done both... I LOVE my Davida helmet, and was wearing it on my r75/6 when I wrecked last summer. I ruined the helmet but didn't even get a headache. I think if you're used to being super-safety-gear-guy then you'll feel naked w/out it.
I'm weird... but you might already know that!
Old 04-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I would just go with what you normally wear when riding.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #15
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Since I am usually going much slower on the ural I prefer a 3/4 with shield to my ff that I wear on other bikes.