User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
DavePave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Thumbs down Tub drains

Just curious..... I bought a sidecar many months ago I am still messing around with ....

It has about 14 1/2" holes in the bottom that I assume are water drains.

Before I fill most of them in.... How many drain holes in yours ???? THANKS for any replies!

Yes, I know, I still need to finish off my DR650 suspension thread. I made the mods & doing well - just need to write it up.
DavePave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
MIXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
I have 3, possibly more

The only ones I have are from the builder screwing up his assembly and mounting the seat poorly. He had to re-do the mounting and left some holes unfilled.

I've thought about fitting a boat drain with the rubber flap tube that self-seals, but haven't got around to it yet.

You should only need a maximum of one in each corner at the low points, or maybe just one up front and one towards the rear. I use some perforated EVA mats on the floor, so the water should always be underneath any seating or flooring carpet anyway.

Stuff can get wet in mine, but it's either water-proof or sealed in containers, so it doesn't matter.

MIXR screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 04:51 PM Reason: typo
MIXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:30 AM   #3
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,092
I don't believe I have any, but I will need to verify it.

Why so many holes?
Someone go a little nuts with a drill or what...
Good luck with it.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
DavePave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tub Drains

THANKS for all of the replies.

I am not sure why I have so many holes. It's an old Chinese CJ sidecar from some time in the late 70's or early 80's. Squared off design, not like the BMW knock-off. Like their police bikes have.

The reason I asked is, I am using it on a DR650 and plan to be making a few back-road water crossings in the future. I don't want it to fill up, but want it to drain at a reasonable rate - should I somehow get it partially flooded.

I too thought about fitting a self-sealing (or manual) FRP boat plug. Maybe I should install a bilge pump too

I do plan to plug the holes, just thought I'd get other people's take on it..... before I do a lot of work, then find a reason to un-do it....

Thanks again, Dave
Old 04-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
MIXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Another possibility

It may be that a previous owner had a steel plate bolted down for fixed ballast if they usually ran without a passenger. Not something you would want to come loose. Or a different chassis was fitted at some time. Lots of possible reasons, but just fill all the holes you don't need and leave one or two as drains. Very little water will get in during a water crossing if you stay in motion, and it will be useful to have a drain for the bit that does.
MIXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
kailuasurfer
Dreamer

Oddometer: 339
My Ural tub has holes and is coated with Line-X inside. With the seat out, it makes a great cooler for my drinks.
kailuasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
My Ural has a bunch of holes in the tub floor, when new they all had nice little rubber plugs in them. I quickly learned that having a few open as a drain was nessary here in the PNW. As time went by, I removed more and more of them until they were all gone. No water comes in them, they let any rain or water from a crossing drain out quickly and help air circulate to prevent condensation.

I see no good reason to plug them.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
Leaf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
The PO of my Velorex had some kind of snarl of electrical stuff in the trunk. Instead of cutting one larger hole and installing a wiring grommet, (s)he drilled a separate hole in the tub for each wire. -_-'

Fortuitously, they're all in the bottom. I thought about bondoing them closed, but decided to leave them for drain holes. May drill one near the front if I ever find water standing in it.
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
DavePave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tub Drains

On second thought, I think I'll just leave them as is and monitor things for a while before I plug them. THANKS for all of the thoughtful responses.

Dave