Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #16
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
My airmesh burned thru in a sub 40mph crash. Wayne is passionate about his gear but there's probably no other "reputable" manufacturer out there who lies/exagerates as much as Wayne does.
His isn't near as strong/durable as he says - it just seems like it because its so uncomfortable.
All the other "worthless" gear on the planet isn't as bad as Wayne would like you to believe it is.

It certainly wont dry in minutes like he claims and it certainly wont keep out the rain without a liner for 30 minutes like he claims.
There are no returns - just passionate speaches about why his gear is the best on the planet, how awesome his stitching (which comes undone in under a year) is. He sent mine in grossly the wrong size and even the wrong color though he had it written down correctly. He wont offer any return on it though precisely because it is a "custom size" and "custom color".

No one disagrees that he's not a nice guy/passionate guy if you're interested in his product or praising it.

No one pushing him to fix mistakes he's made disagrees he's extremely flamable and nearly impossible to work with.

Careful when dealing with Wayne! It's a lot of money to spend on a suit you don't even know how it's going to fit!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #17
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,672
Lot's of folks disagree. http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...id=2&Itemid=23

And note the guarantee:

Warranty
• Customer Satisfaction 100% Guaranteed on all standard sized, standard color jackets.
• To support the claims made by Motoport about Kevlar, and to confirm the protective/long lasting qualities of clothing made from Kevlar, this garment has a 7-year warranty.
• IF YOU EVER CRASH, AT ANY SPEED, IN A MOTOPORT KEVLAR GARMENT (SUIT, JACKET, PANT, OR SHIRT) AND MOTOPORT CAN'T REPAIR IT, MOTOPORT WILL REPLACE THE GARMENT FOR FREE.

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...d=27&Itemid=23

Sorry you had a bad experience.
NoVa Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #18
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 892
Kevlar is not as abrasion resistant as Cordura....

Kevlar is fantastic in tension, but not in abrasion.

Material physics is material physics.

There is a reason why most non-leather suits are made from Cordura.

Cheers.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #19
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

agreed, but nylon is even worse. . ..
Old 04-30-2012, 04:54 AM   #20
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
Lot's of folks disagree. http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...id=2&Itemid=23

And note the guarantee:

Warranty
Customer Satisfaction 100% Guaranteed on all standard sized, standard color jackets.
To support the claims made by Motoport about Kevlar, and to confirm the protective/long lasting qualities of clothing made from Kevlar, this garment has a 7-year warranty.
IF YOU EVER CRASH, AT ANY SPEED, IN A MOTOPORT KEVLAR GARMENT (SUIT, JACKET, PANT, OR SHIRT) AND MOTOPORT CAN'T REPAIR IT, MOTOPORT WILL REPLACE THE GARMENT FOR FREE.
http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...d=27&Itemid=23

Sorry you had a bad experience.
I don't know what % of Wayne's sales are "standard size/standard color" but everyone I know whose bought from him has ordered the "custom size" stuff which of course doesn't qualify.
I think all the kevlar gear is "custom"? No?

As to the 2nd hilighted part Wayne does not give out free gear. Period. He's blatantly said he's never not been able to repair something. That in itself doesn't attest to its durability - think about it; he'll charge you what it costs to build a new jacket/pants to "repair" it before giving you a replacement for free!
Old 05-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #21
Wayne at Motoport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Out of millons of customers ricky has been the worst

It is impossible to make every customer happy, Ricky's is one of these customers. Since I'm the only one to give the other side of the story, following are my brief replies to Ricky's lies and exagerations in red:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
My airmesh burned thru in a sub 40mph crash. No hole burned through our airmesh. 1/8" scuff only. On the crash article Ricky wrote he claimed the speed was over 40 mph and it was the worst crash of his life, with head injuries.Wayne is passionate about his gear but there's probably no other "reputable" manufacturer out there who lies/exagerates as much as Wayne does. Please prove one lie or exageration I make, while you Ricky lie and exagerate in every link written.
His isn't near as strong/durable as he says - it just seems like it because its so uncomfortable. Another lie. I prove how strong and durable are gear is with testing and thousands of riders crashing.
All the other "worthless" gear on the planet isn't as bad as Wayne would like you to believe it is. Please show me any other motorcycle apparel that has the same armor coverage, protection, tear/abrasion/seam strength, versatility in hot/cold/wet weather, long lasting and best guarantee

It certainly wont dry in minutes like he claims and it certainly wont keep out the rain without a liner for 30 minutes like he claims. On our Hang tags in the garments, on our web site, papers sent with the gear Motoport explains that when the outer shell of the material starts absorbing water, spray on Fabric Guard 303. Ricky was told this numerous times and he completely ignors.
There are no returns If you order a custom Jean Pant and a custom Kevlar Shirt, with custom pockets in custom colors, like Ricky, wear the gear for many months, crash in the gear, it is non returnable. Ricky is upset because he wanted to return the Kevlar Shirt and Kevlar Pant for a full refund after wearing for many months and crashing in it. just passionate speaches about why his gear is the best on the planet, how awesome his stitching (which comes undone in under a year) Another lie. After his crash he tore a thread, no seam separation, not one failure in the gear.. is. He sent mine in grossly the wrong size and even the wrong color though he had it written down correctly. Another lie. Fit was fine, he made a mistake on the knee/shin armor placement. We sent two pockets in the wrong color and we replaced. He continued wearing the gear even after the crash. He wont offer any return on it though precisely because it is a "custom size" and "custom color".

No one disagrees that he's not a nice guy/passionate guy if you're interested in his product or praising it.

No one pushing him to fix mistakes he's made disagrees he's extremely flamable and nearly impossible to work with. Not once in the history of Motoport have I been flamable with a customer. Ricky calls me liar and claiming I exagerate, and then he lies and exagerated all through his links. Ricky is the flamable person here. He called and yelled at me on the phone numerous times.

Careful when dealing with Wayne! It's a lot of money to spend on a suit you don't even know how it's going to fit!
If I had just one customer a year like Ricky I would shut down my business. Just go to the Search window here on advrider, type in Motoport or Cycleport and read thousands of stories from happy customers. Hundreds of stories from customer that have crashed in our gear with little to no injuries. After crashing in some cases numerous times and the gear still holding up. These stories validate my cliams, and prove that Motoport makes by far the best motorcycle apparel in the world.
Wayne at Motoport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #22
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
I've met Wayne. Pretty neat owner. He's a rider, former racer, who manufactures moto gear that simply works. To hear him talk about stitching, and the importance of doing it right, with the correct stitch and the correct thread material, sold me on the crashworthiness of his products. I love my motoport air mesh kevlar, wouldn't trade it for anything.

Glad you weighed in. Figured Ricky was a bit disgruntled. . ..
Old 05-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #23
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 380
I talk from first hand experience. Motoport gear saved my hide when I had a front tire blowout and was sliding down the road.
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #24
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Funny,. I crashed at about 55mph and while my airmesh took a beating. It didn't, "burn through"......In fact the accident happened on a Sunday. I sent the gear for repair on a Monday and I got it back on the following Friday...........Now thats some awesome customer service!

Note: Wayne, if you are reading this. Its nice that you have improved the website. But, have someone check it for dead links and spelling errors (which are plenty).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
My airmesh burned thru in a sub 40mph crash. Wayne is passionate about his gear but there's probably no other "reputable" manufacturer out there who lies/exagerates as much as Wayne does.
His isn't near as strong/durable as he says - it just seems like it because its so uncomfortable.
All the other "worthless" gear on the planet isn't as bad as Wayne would like you to believe it is.

It certainly wont dry in minutes like he claims and it certainly wont keep out the rain without a liner for 30 minutes like he claims.
There are no returns - just passionate speaches about why his gear is the best on the planet, how awesome his stitching (which comes undone in under a year) is. He sent mine in grossly the wrong size and even the wrong color though he had it written down correctly. He wont offer any return on it though precisely because it is a "custom size" and "custom color".

No one pushing him to fix mistakes he's made disagrees he's extremely flamable and nearly impossible to work with.

TallRob screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 04:24 PM
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #25
go gonzo
The Mustard of Pants

Oddometer: 192
I'm happy with my one-piece.

It's the only pic I've got.
go gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #26
jknight611
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Happy with mine....

Have about 60,000 miles on my Marathon mesh jacket and the pants, no problem, cool (er) in the hot, warm with the layered liners. I bought a set of the pants for my wife, like and trust them that much!! Never been swimming with mine but it seems to dry fine... Only one thing, if you are a dual sport rider (or faller) the open mesh seems to hold the dirt in the mesh more than other suits I own. I just rinse with a garden hose when I return home. It is a "I'd buy again" category.

Jay on the South Coast
jknight611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #27
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
my eyes my eyes!!! They burnnnnnnnnnnnn
Quote:
Originally Posted by go gonzo View Post
i'm happy with my one-piece.

it's the only pic i've got.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #28
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Yea,I'm glad Wayne posted also!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #29
smoky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Kevlar mesh jacket, stretch Kevlar pants.

Best gear I've owned.

Wayne was easly to work,with too.
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #30
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Wayne actually hasn't looked at my gear - he wont. When I tell him for instance the velco is falling off, (and I am looking right at as it is in my hands) he tells me it is not because a.) he uses the best velcro on the planet and b. he just got a suit in to restitch the velcro after 27 (I think is what he said) years.

Of course I tried to return the gear before the crash.

And really important is that Wayne's gear is so, so much better than nothing! I absolutely believe you Kainic when you say it "saved your hide" - it made a HUGE difference when I crashed as oppossed to wearing nothing. However, as far as my shoulder and elbow, a cheap Joe rocked jacket THAT FIT certainly would have done better for impact protection. Wayne often doesn't get it right the first or second time even when he does the measuring himself. How big of a deal that is certainly depends on if it is a primary suit or a second/third suit, or how far away from him you live.
Ordering from him is not like going into a shop where you can try on a jacket and see how it fits.

For me, since I didn't "bow" to Wayne and admit that his sizing mistakes were really mine quickly enough he wouldn't work on it. As far as armor placement goes he insists anyone in my country could get it altered in 5 minutes and tells me it not true when I tell the reality is I"ve been to about 20 taylors and no one wants to work on that fabric.

So Wayne's gear is definately better than nothing, but of course it's not the only stuff out there, it's not the best stuff out there, it certainly is not the most comfortable out there, and you'd be high to think it's going to fit better than something you can try on and judge then and there how it fits. But you do get to pay more for it though!

Here's a motoport airmesh (according to Wayne stronger than the stretch) after a 40 mph dump. The owner had a good attitude and thought Wayne's gear did pretty all right FOR A MESH JACKET. Of course it's better than a flannel shirt! And its probably as good as many other mesh jackets. It just isn't the best stuff out there, and certainly not the best for the money.

Here is my burn thru that happened at about 40 mph. Wayne says this damage isn't serious and that what burned thru is not the abrasion part of the jacket. I find that to be bogus as what is left feels very thin, and if that thin stuff is what is protecting our hide and next to our skin why wouldn't he leave that heavy, nasty uncomfortable shell off?

I'm taking the time to post this as Wayne is a semi snake oil salesman and I'd rather not see others get burned by him. I say "semi" as his product is a legitimate product that does something but it's not nearly as good as he claims, ECSPECIALLY in comparison to all the other gear that is out there. As you can see from his previous post, he tends to not only exagerate what his product can do but really dis all the other gear out there on the market leaving you a moron if you chose anything else.