Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #61
Vbird
In Room 237

Oddometer: 784
Has anyone tried a dual rating bag yet? Looking at Mountain Hardware Flip bag. Supposedly, whichever side is facing up determines temp rating- 35 or 50. Great idea or marketing BS?

Vbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:48 AM   #62
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbird View Post
Has anyone tried a dual rating bag yet? Looking at Mountain Hardware Flip bag. Supposedly, whichever side is facing up determines temp rating- 35 or 50. Great idea or marketing BS?

Had that exact bag for ages and loved it. Only got rid of it to get something more roomy.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #63
Vbird
In Room 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Had that exact bag for ages and loved it. Only got rid of it to get something more roomy.
Thanks. Seems like the bag I take on a tour is either too hot or too cold some nights
Old 05-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #64
BoxerDoc
Still a nOOb

Oddometer: 107
This year I decided to upgrade from Thermarest inflatables to Nemo's Cosmo Air with the Pillow Top and a Fillow pillow. This combo made for the best sleep I've ever had while camping.

While poking around for that, I found out that Nemo is making a foray into sleeping bags.

The Nemo bags are set to be released in 2013, but they are making a small run available on a special website. You must pre-register for one to reserve it for this year.

I chose the Strato Loft 25. It's a rectangular down bag that the Cosmo pad will slide right into. I like the design with the dual side zips you can peel it open and sit up, regulate temperature or zip two of them together. The footbox is waterproof where it's likely to come in contact with your tent walls and condensation. Anyone whose used a Nemo single wall tent will likely appreciate this. Best of all, they say you can just roll it up with your sleeping pad inside. I really like that idea. It should cut down on the hassle factor to break camp in the morning.
BoxerDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #65
Greg Pinch
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Nemo sleep system

Hello,

I am considering ordering the same Nemo system as you have ordered.
Strato Top
Cosmo Air & Pillow top pad
Filo pillow

Was wondering if you have received it yet?
If so, how have you found it?
How is the pack down size?
Did you get the regular Filo pillow or the larger Luxury Filo pillow?

Thanks for your help.

Greg Pinch
greg.pinch@rogers.com
Greg Pinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #66
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626

Big Agnes

Mine(Red/Grey)
15 Degree Encampment (synthetic)
Insulated Air Core Pad
Sleeping bag liner

Hers
LuLu 15 Degree Bag
Insulated Air Core Pad
Memory Foam Pad Cover.
Sleeping Bag Liner

The 2 Dry bags on the back hold each sleeping bag, Pillow, Pad, liner.

My only complaint is that the sleeping bag doesnt follow me if I curl up. So when I move back to a laid out position, the sleeping bag is a bit cold. The liner helps a bit with that.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #67
GRN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Many good manufacturers, I like Mtn. Hardware. I prefer synthetic fill for use above freezing temps, down sux when it gets wet.
GRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #68
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
A $20 sleeping bag from walmart is what I use. Planning to upgrade soon to something that will keep me warmer at 30 degree.. I woke up once freezing !

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #69
Vbird
In Room 237

Used the Flip this past Summer/Fall and it worked very well. Nice to carry one bag that works on warm or chilly nights. Only real problem-as mentioned earlier- is that it's a little tight and narrow even for me (5'9, 150).
Old 01-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #70
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,373
I bought a LaFuma Down 600 bag about 6 years ago that has served me well. I bought a Thermolite liner to use with it when I went t o Alaska and it worked quite well. Mornings last year in Gunnison were in the low 30's and I survived that. Can't ask for much more than that. If I use the bag it came in, it will pack down to the size of a grapefruit. Mostly though, I just stuff sack it into my Watershed bag.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #71
Phineas Whipsnake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I'm an old guy now (68) just got back into mc camping in the latest phase of life. Tried mummy bags - way too confining for me, though warm & compact. Got a REI Radiant "Long & Wide" down bag, I' m now happy, comfy, & warm. I use it with a Exped Synmat 7 pad, and am finally where I can sleep comfortably. I think most sleeping bag makers make a 'semi-rectangular' bag, which, unless you're a skinny teenage athlete, will be much more comfy than the minimalist mummy bags for us old semi-fat guys. For MC camping, a bit more weight is more acceptable than volume, so choose accordingly.
Phineas Whipsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #72
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Mummy bags come in many different sizes, depending on the mfr. REI has a pamphlet which compares all different bags, giving their chest/hip girth, packed size, weight, etc. Those can vary from really tight to loose enough to roll over in. My preference is the loose ones. Also many down bags now come with DWP(Durable Water Proof) treating on the outer shell.

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #73
2MnB
Missing

Oddometer: 130
Mont bell. Super spiral. Packs small, great worksmanship.
http://www.montbell.us/products/disp...7&p_id=2321143
Old 02-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #74
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Oddometer: 668
Kelty Coromell CP +25

http://www.rei.com/product/852970/ke...-2012-closeout

Just ordered one of these from REI in the long size. They have a special on Kelty today. With the discount it cost $78.33, but I have to cop another $40 to airmail it to Australia.
The various reviews on these seem to read pretty well.
I didn't know I needed a new sleeping bag, until I started reading this thread!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #75
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 213
I didn't read the entire thread but I did see some pictures of bags in there stuff sacks and thought I would post a picture of the setup I take when the temps are 40 or warmer at night. The bag is a Western Mountaineering Megalight which is their 30 degree bag cut for larger users.

I've owned and used this one for over eight years now and have other downbags that I've used for over twenty years and they are still as good as new.

The red bag in the picture is waterproof and has the sleeping bag in it, the grey bag holds a Mountain Laurel Designs Patrol Shelter and a Serenity Bug Bivy and the black bag a 2.5 inch thick Neo air mattress that's 25x77 and weighs 19 oz.

At the top of the black bag you can see the ends of the poles that support the tarp, I don't recall the weights but the entire camp is well under five pounds with stakes, stuff bags and all.

Western Mountaineering bags are made in the US and consequently cost more up front, I don't think you have to pay top dollar to get a very good bag. One of my all time favorites is a Sports Chalet branded bag that I bought in 1990 and have spent hundreds of nights in and still use regularly if weight and bulk aren't important.

I tour on a light bike and still backpack enough to justify spending a little more to have a comfortable and light camp.

mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote