User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 03:48 AM   #76
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,720
anyone use the military modular bags?
Upcoming trip this summer to CO and I want a decent bag. I also will be using it elsewhere for summer and late fall camping. The temperature range appeals to me, but I am not sure how small it packs.

vwboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:22 AM   #77
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
My advice would be a Mountain Hardware Lamina 35F. For the money, you will not get anything remotely as small packing that covers the temp ranges you want. Pack size absolutely romps over every other synthetic bag of equivalent rating I've seen. When I bought my first Lamina, I genuinely did not believe that it was not a down bag because of how small it compressed and argued with the guy in the store until he showed me the label! The amount of cash you need to spend on an equivalent down bag that is water-proof (or at least, heavily water resistant) is much larger. I would really struggle to recommend a down bag to anyone for these sort of temp ranges, unless you really are an "every last gram counts" weight shaver with very deep pockets.

Just to show I'm not completely biased:
I just picked up a much colder rated one yesterday (Lamina -30F Long). That will do me for everywhere I'll feasibly go, but it is a lot more bulky/heavy than equivalent temp down bags. For these (way below freezing) temps, I can really see the benefit of spending three or four times as much and getting a good down bag, if you can afford it and/or will use it enough to justify it.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #78
rjsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
Upcoming trip this summer to CO and I want a decent bag. I also will be using it elsewhere for summer and late fall camping. The temperature range appeals to me, but I am not sure how small it packs.
It doesn't pack down small I'll tell you that, maybe 14"x28", remember it's not down. Right now I have it in the basement in it's stuff sack with my BOB set up ready to go. Later on when I get a chance I'll check it out with a tape measure.

BUT, it's one hell of a versatile bag that's for sure. With three different sections it can work in all weather just pick the right combination depending on the temps.

Here is a blurb from and ad I saw recently;

MODULAR SLEEPING SYSTEM CONSISTS OF: GREEN PATROL BAG, RATED TO 30 DEGREES F. IT IS WATER RESISTANT, RIP STOP NYLON. RECOMMENDED, FOR TEMPERATE CLIMATES, BETWEEN 30 TO 50 DEGREES. ADJUSTABLE HOOD. BLACK INTERMEDIATE BAG, RATED TO -10 DEGREES F, IF USED ALONE AND RATED TO -30 DEGREES, WHEN USED, WITH THE PATROL BAG. WATER RESISTANT, RIP STOP NYLON.

All those temps ranges mentioned are used in conjunction with the waterproof Bivy Cover I believe, but I'm not 100% sure.

In my opinion the Bivy Cover is the star of the show not many people understand it's versatility, totally breathable, waterproof and HEAVY DUTY. You can just unroll it on the wet ground hop into the bags zip them all up and you "could" be pretty comfortable in the pouring rain. And you can buy the Bivy Sack by it's self too if you like, not a bad way of increasing the range of you're existing bags.

I purchased the 4 part system used for $80 and was in pretty good shape although the stuff sack that came with it was the older non-waterproof version.

One of my few purchases that lived up to the hype.

Ron W.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #79
K0m4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
I do, a German system made up of two bags (summer bag rated to around 0, winter bag rated to something like -15, and used together they're supposedly good to -40. Not that I'll ever try), a hood, and a bivy bag in gtx. It's heavy (about 2kg per sack), bulky (although with the eVent stuff sacks I manage to compress it to a managable size), and I decided that for backpacking I need a top quilt at 600 grams instead. I hammock, so that's a no-brainer.

I'll still use the sleeping bags for bike-packing though, they're good bags and won't break in a hurry. But for a slight investment you could probably find plenty better and lighter bags at outdoor shops. The only reason to get military surplus for me is price, regular stuff is better on all other accounts.

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #80
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,720
I should add that I hate mummy bags, and am generally a side/belly sleeper. It seemed the military were a bigger cut.

If the one bag is good to 30, I assume that would be enough for the mountains in summer, but I haven't looked into it.
Just spit ballin at this point. Never done more than an overnighter off a bike, so 10ish days makes me think I need to buy lots of tiny stuff

vwboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #81
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 1,037
I also picked up one of the newer style military sleep systems, and have some of the same comments as above.

It doesn't pack down as small, and per section, weighs a bit more than you would find elsewhere.

That said, there is a huge advantage, which is the ability to combo thing.

Last November I went on an 11 day trek in the Nepalese Himalayan mtns. I ended up not taking either of the two military bags, as I was hiking and counting onces, but I did take the goe-tex bivy with me. Its large enough to fit my sleeping bag (Quest 0 degree synthetic), and my BA insulated air core. Putting the two inside the bivy added some extra warmth, and kept me from sliding off the air core. Loved the setup.

On a motorcycle, I will definitely be considering it as a full system with my BA pad. As long as I don't have to hike the weight, seems like a wonderfully comfortable setup.

Also, they can be had brand new for 100-150$

Quote:
GHO100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #82
yellowrench
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I live close to Ft. Campbell Ky. and I went and purchased the newer style military sleep systems used, it is the 5 piece set. 2 compression bags, bivy bag and a thin bag and a heavy bag. The newer style bags are both tan color, the older style setup had a tan bag and a BLACK INTERMEDIATE BAG. Also the camo color is different on the NEW style bag. I slept in my bag on the porch and at 18* I kept warm, I also put the bag on an Exped insulated Sym7 pad. I feed that I could have sleep in much colder weather with no problem. I purchased this used (looked unused) for $100
yellowrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #83
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
I can only tell you what I use and it works. Big Agnes Lost Ranger. Down mummy bag. 15*