Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #421
Newner
Buffering

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadayama View Post
Seaba Station Motorcycle Museum in Warwick Oklahoma (off of Route 66) is having a "Cold Butt Ride In" on January 1st.

Here is a link for more info... and i think they are raffling a motorcycle?

SEABA LINK
Several of us get together on Jan 1 every year at Gruber, we call it the Hang Over ride.

This is what happened this year:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753073

FYI......... Hope to see some Metro guys show up....

(I am not sure if that is a good nickname for this bunch.... )
Old 12-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #422
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Santa's Cruel Joke

So you have all these days off for the season... and it is snow and ice.... REALLY.... ?

I was going to do some moto camping/exploring... the wife was even cool with it...

Guess... i'm gonna have to hang with kids and such...

: )

Hope all is well in your world...

What happend to the "Meet and Greets"?

Dadayama screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 09:14 PM
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #423
nanotech9
** Slidewayz **

Oddometer: 1,435
OK to ride in snow. Ice is a little rougher... but on dirt its all about the same.
'04 KTM 525 EXC
'02 YAMAHA TTR 125
'99 KTM 50 ADV
'86 KTM 250 2-smoker resto-project
nanotech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #424
Fixator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
New Years ride to Seaba Station sounds like a great way to start the New Year. Since we survived the 12/21/12 end of the world, a little ice on two wheels doesn't sound overly intimidating. What time are folks planning on arriving?
Fixator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #425
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,896
i look forward to seeing everyone on the 1st.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #426
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,889
I'll probably show up a little after noon. Stay for the raffle.

Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #427
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,830
Hangover ride at Gruber Jan 1st
Old 12-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #428
mars
Starbucks anyone?

New R1 is almost ready and the weather is not

It all started with this.

My new R1 and a track day at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah, September 2010.

Before starting the day, a trip to the Pirelli garage for a new set of slicks

and then wheeled over to the Suspension guy who groaned when he saw my size, he had no room to talk. Later I would find out why. The first thing he did was increase the preload of the rear shock to the max then proceed maxing out everything else.

Once on the track the tires made up for any mismatched setup or riding input I gave the bike. It was instantly noticeable that I was the weakest link in the process. I have heard the argument that the rider is the thing that needs help before any other issue. It has been my experience learning to ride better is easier on a properly set up bike.

For example, the bike I wish I still had. 2001 Aprilia Falco completely race prepped by the previous owner. OZ wheels, full titanium Arrow Exhaust, Ohlin rear shock and Race Tech prepared front forks, tuned ecu, full Galfer everything, sachs steering damper and much more.

The bike was probably in the 360 lb range and the most fun I have ever had. I bought the bike from some one who spent a fortune to make it better; now the motorcycle gods wanted me to make the same sacrifice. I almost looked like I could ride this bike. It just fit me.

2009 stock R1 and it was mine. During my first weekend I noticed a number of things that needed to be fixed in order for me to advance my riding. The suspension for one would just bottom out every time I braked for a corner. I checked the settings and the sag was all the way in and the compression was too. Not anywhere near the ideal for my weight. Being the colder time of year this does not seem as big a deal as it was, the catalytic convertor would roar heat up under the seat.
Two items to try and fix and just like plumbing one thing led to the next and eventually I would have about 18k invested in the bike from the original 12k.

Right after the first track day I decided to enter the Masters of the Mountains series and ride for two of the final races in 2010. That really drove home the need for me to make some changes to the bike. I was having trouble leaning forward in the corners due to a couple of issues. The seat, stock clip ons and my fat belly.

here is Clint, we usually shared a paddock space right on the straight at Miller.
Near perfect form in my book.

Clint, his family and another couple of blokes from Ireland name Mark and Lee also shared the area. The bench racing at night was definitely a high light of the experience.

I had my own personal pit crew with Clint's kids there.

Replacing the cat. I bought a two brothers replacement pipe for the cat. After getting that installed I realized the bike was no longer running with the right air fuel mixture.

That led to a new Bazzaz unit. That led to a self mapping unit and finally the fresh air injector had to be removed and by then why not the high flow air filter and air box modification. A couple of thousand dollars later the cat problem was fixed. I had Bazzaz air fuel sensor re welded on the cat eliminator for it to fit.
Once this cycle is started(no pun intended) it is hard to put on the bakes. Speaking of I found a set of Galfer stainless brake lines on the internet when I first bought the bike for just 50 bucks.

When I tried to install them 2 years later this December I found out why they were cheap. Some one was selling knock off lines packaged in Galfer packaging. The banjo fittings are 10 thousandths off from one side to the other. I called Galfer and asked if they had any knock off problems and they said yes.

They sent me a new set for free and then I felt obligated to buy new pads since my stock front pads were 1/2 gone in 800 miles. That is a lot of pads for the front wheel, 6 calipers on each side.

The straight away at Miller is a killer on front brakes. If you ever get a chance to ride the full version of that track you have a killer long straight that is at least a 150 mph ride and a 60 mph or more left turn at the end. Lots of fun but hard on brakes, tires and suspension. When Galfer called to get the address I added a new stainless rear brake line for 225 dollars total.

Next was the suspension, I should have just re sprung the stock but Roger Albert in Austin just happened to have a set of Ktech front fork cartridges. He had previously ordered them for another bike and I felt obligated to buy them, it was a good deal.

That left the need for an equivalent rear shock so I went with the Penske. Funny how a small upgrade can turn into a 3500 dollar endeavor and I swear I had no choice.

While he was at it the bike needed some clip-ons, another 250 dollars.
At this time I was pretty much committed to try and make this bike a true track warrior so the hammer was down.

A new Hotbodies racing plastic kit was a drop in the bucket at this point, why not. I ended up shearing about 60 lbs off the bike including the catalytic convertor that was probably 15 lbs.
I had a chance for some dyno time last summer at the local bike shop.

That helped fine tune the Bazzaz. I spent a few minutes this after noon manually setting the idle and right off idle mixture settings. The learning unit doesn’t start to record until the bike hits 3k rpm. The overall adjustments are quite a bit richer than the stock programming.
Still putting the final touches on the bike with new grips, heat wraping the exhaust and control placement.
All that is left now is to find a track day to shake down all the changes. Loosing 60 lbs is probably the biggest improvement. The video from fastersafer is so me with my R1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=CP0RPFeSI5Q
Next up the training starts, I made horrible food choices over the holidays and started my dieting two days ago and will start to bicycle when the weather breaks a bit. I am trying to eat 50 percent fresh fruits, something about them decreases my hunger level.

mars screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 02:34 PM Reason: to lazy to do it offline
Old 01-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #429
mrdirtbikerider
Husaberg rider

Oddometer: 265
Nice pics Mars! Your R1 looks good. Very clean.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #430
mrdirtbikerider
Husaberg rider

I went to start my bike today and it ran like crap. No power and will not idle. I think the points on my fuel pump
Are bad. Seems to be common problem on these bikes.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #431
mrdirtbikerider
Husaberg rider

Meet n Greet

Any ideas on a new location for another Meet n Greet?
We are about due for the next one.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #432
Dirt2007
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdirtbikerider View Post
I went to start my bike today and it ran like crap. No power and will not idle. I think the points on my fuel pump
Are bad. Seems to be common problem on these bikes.

Atleast it's an easy fix. I have replaced mine twice already.
Dirt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #433
mrdirtbikerider
Husaberg rider

Cool2 Isle of Man TT

A must see!
Isle of Man TT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph0Sj...e_gdata_player
Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #434
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdirtbikerider View Post
Any ideas on a new location for another Meet n Greet?
We are about due for the next one.
how about that place down from Starbucks in Moore? Fixator had a place he thought would be good in the Classen Circle.

regards.
john
Old 01-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #435
mrdirtbikerider
Husaberg rider

Oklahoma Adv. Meet n Greet

What was the name of the place on Classen Circle?