Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 05:03 AM   #61
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKDQ View Post
I've been doing something similar, but instead of putting them onto a map I've been entering them as waypoints into my gps, that way when I get in the vicinity of one I'll see it on my gps screen. I've put in lots of restaurants in as well as interesting places I want to ride to around he state...someday. One of my places that is out your way is the unknown cowboys grave from the great wester cattle trail. Also want to make it to black Mesa for an over nighter sometime too.
i've heard that black mesa isn't really worth it.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:27 AM   #62
skyydiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
Black Mesa is beautiful, just not huge. And it's a long ride from OKC. I like riding, wherever it is, so the long flat ride there is enjoyable to me anyway. But if you want pure adventure the whole time, I can see where it might not be "worth it". Just depends on your outlook.
skyydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #63
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyydiver View Post
...so the long flat ride there is enjoyable to me anyway...
Man, a couple of weeks ago I was returning from Colorado on 412 through the panhandle toward Woodward, in the 104 degree heat after a week of beautiful mountain weather and scenery. The contrast was depressing. Then my ipod overheated or something and quit working (works now, go figure). The featureless terrain and the endless STRAIGHT road with no music was brutal. I don't think I would do that again just for Black Mesa.

Going to SE OK is always fun. Lots of good roads after an hour or so out of OKC and then the Talimena drive area has great stuff both on and off pavement.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #64
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
Man, a couple of weeks ago I was returning from Colorado on 412 through the panhandle toward Woodward, in the 104 degree heat after a week of beautiful mountain weather and scenery. The contrast was depressing. Then my ipod overheated or something and quit working (works now, go figure). The featureless terrain and the endless STRAIGHT road with no music was brutal. I don't think I would do that again just for Black Mesa.

Going to SE OK is always fun. Lots of good roads after an hour or so out of OKC and then the Talimena drive area has great stuff both on and off pavement.
Well, you know.....when you put it that way........
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #65
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Actually,I've always wanted to do the Black Mesa thing. I've never been farther than Guyman. And, man, oh man, what fun it was going straight west in the panhandle for 2,000 miles (it was 2,000 miles, wasn't it? Seemed so.) I'm still going to make it one day.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #66
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Don't think Black Mesa would work for an Oklahoma Loop in general... but a ride across the panhandle should be experienced at least once your life... i've done it three times so far... it is kinda cool to ride out to the markers that divide the states up.... you can zoom in on Google maps to see what i'm talking about...

Dadayama screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 12:11 PM
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #67
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
I agree that black Mesa might not be all that exciting but when you live in central OK you have to take what you can get. Since the ride is a big part of the fun factor for me the destination becomes the reason for the ride rather than the destination be the be all/end all part of the trip. Black Mesa is not somewhere I would be willing to ride thru this heat (all though I could probably be easily talked into it) it is a ride I'd like to take in the spring or fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #68
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
On the other hand I love riding SE OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #69
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Free Rider Course OSU OKC

Hey

OSU OKC is offering free "Ready to Ride" courses, for those who have a M endorsement on their license...

I believe it is faster paced and faster speed based course...

Here is the link OSU-OKC

I signed up for August 5th... there is another one in September...
Old 07-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #70
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Quote:
All depends on what you are looking for.

It is 358 miles from my garage door to the campground, which makes it the perfect place to pitch the tent following a mid-day escape from OKC on the way to the hills. Clean, quiet and a shower.

Not interested in spending a week there, but I sure love dropping in for a night three or four times a year!
Okie Preacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #71
KMACR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadayama View Post
Thought we should start a thread for those of us stuck living in the metropolitan area of OKC... I recently went on a ride in Arkansas and met 3 folks from the area who don't have anyone to ride with. Thought we could have a spot to give a shout out to others in the city area to organize rides, discuss issues related to the metropolitan area. There are a lot of different kinds of riders who like to ride in different ways, so lets keep it open to everyone. If I hear of anything happening around the city i'll try to post it... you do the same..

Peter over and out
UPDATE: Point is now moot. Made a deal on another bike from an ADV inmate this morning. Though still would like to test my compatibility with a lo-seat Adventure sometime. Thanks for the reads.
----
Hey guys,

Started a new thread before realizing this is the more appropriate place to post....Kevin McMillan here in OKC. Anyone with a 2005-2012 GS Adventure locally(OKC) of a mind to help me out? I've sold my 2006 GS and am close to pulling the trigger on a deal for an out-of-state 2009 GS Adventure IF I can convince myself that my 5'8" height, 30" inseam can fill the bill.

I have a Touratech lo seat that I would like to test fit on a local GSA preferably tomorrow(Thursday or Friday). I don't need to ride it, just fit the seat and throw a leg over it to assess the ergonomics. If it works then I'd go ahead with the deal and pick it up this weekend.

Anybody in a position..or disposition in the next two days to assist? I could come by briefly any evening or possibly daytime Friday if need be. If no one locally turns up I'll need to talk the Tulsa BMW dealer into letting me check things out on the Adventure he has on the floor there....

Thanks for the read. Feel free to PM me and I'll send you my phone number to coordinate.

KMACR screwed with this post 07-19-2012 at 07:30 AM Reason: UPDATE
KMACR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #72
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,827
Black Mesa and back in this weather? Why not! call it "the Fried Okie Run"

In!!

maybe
Old 07-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #73
nanotech9
** Slidewayz **

Oddometer: 1,435
I think I could navigate my way down some OLD trails that drop in and out of the river running right down the middle of OKC... they're away from the sand, and almost impossible to get into if you don't know where you're looking. Been on them once, but I think I could get back to them. Lots of fun for about an hour or so. Better have knobbies. I had to plow through a thicket of 6ft tall grass and weeds to get into one area on the 12GS.
'04 KTM 525 EXC
'02 YAMAHA TTR 125
'99 KTM 50 ADV
'86 KTM 250 2-smoker resto-project
nanotech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #74
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

I looks like there is a chance I will have to work this Saturday. If so, I'll try for the next ride! If not, then you guys can see how I navigate through a BBQ buffet after trying to navigate a new R1200GS around county roads without washing out.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #75
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

OKC to Tulsa ride...

Hey all...

Just a thought... I think only one person has committed to going, and i've been wondering if that is because the heat? We could always shorten it up and head to Stroud and back? If you are planning on going will you PM me or something so i know what to expect...

I'm ok with the heat, and i was figuring we'd just ride R66 back, unless someone else has a better plan.

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadayama View Post
So I'm still trying to get the OKC metro riders to unite....

I've been trying to figure out an OKC to Tulsa trip using the back roads... what i have come up with is dirt-gravel from Edmond to Sapulpa (some paved in between), after that it is mostly paved. We could ride up in the morning, grab a bite for lunch and head back either dirt roads or 66... i'll post a link to the map if you click on it you should be able to move things and tweak how you want. Or if anyone has suggestions go for it... i only mean this to be a starting place....

Maybe not this weekend but what about July 21st or 22nd....???

If we can get a route figured out, i can convert to GPX to add to our GPS systems...

Anyway... just throwing this out to you all... seeing if anyone is there... if not, like i usually do, i'll head out on my own...

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=E...,18,19,20&z=10

Let me know if any one is interested...

Peter