Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #91
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
I really wanted to spend the day watching exciting reruns of Laverne & Shirley.
If you must, DVR 'em.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #92
Dirt2007
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,735
So how was the ride? Little warm?
Dirt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #93
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
OKC to Stroud ride report

So myself, 20valves and RogerWilco met up at Pops by 8 am, non of us knowing each other though all of us friendly. We talked for a few minutes then hit the road.

Actually the temp was great until after lunch, when we took Route 66 back. But really the heat is over rated, it really is not that bad, it only seems hot when you are in a/c watching TV.

RogerWilco is newer to dual sport riding and this was his first time on his 1200GS off pavement. He did great, kept the rubber on the ground and didn't slow us down! In fact we got to Stroud by 10:30 am a little earlier than planned.

I had pulled the route from google maps looking at the satellite view, you never know what you are going to find. This trip turned out pretty good, i enjoyed the ride. There was a nice sampling of different types of roads, gravel, dirt, and only a one sandy spot.

OH BY THE WAY..... OKC.... TULSA KICKED OUR ASS!!!!!!!!!! 5 to 3!!!!!!

5 Tulsa inmates showed up to eat lunch and say howdy. They are a wild and friendly bunch and have a lot of great stories to tell. I'm thinking we'll have to meet up with them again... didn't i mention that they kicked our ass, 5 to 3...?

I didn't take many pictures, but here are us three at Newner's Obelisk. Back at home i looked it up and before there where cars and highways there were associations that promoted local communities building and maintaining the roads through their area. This is from the Ozark Trail Association. Essentially this is a highway marker from the covered wagon days. Each side of the obelisk would have the mileage and town names painted on it. Now it is a meeting point for the locals at night when they go boony cruising. [IMG]IMG_0533[/IMG]

On the way back RogerWilco had a flat, l had my plug kit with me and he was heading down the road in no time.[IMG]IMG_0536[/IMG]

We'll do it again sometime soon.... Any one have any ideas just post away!

Peter
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #94
20valves
Yamaholic

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadayama View Post
On the way back RogerWilco had a flat, l had my plug kit with me and he was heading down the road in no time. We'll do it again sometime soon.... Any one have any ideas just post away!
Always fun to meet new riders and ride. And yeah, the heat wasn't as much a factor as the dust. The route was plenty of fun and the pace was just fine. RogerWilco reported a few "inspiring" moments in the looser sections but came through just fine. With something more off road friendly than the excellent-for-street Metz EXP's on his big GS, we'll be eating his dust soon enough.

Sorry to hear about the flat RogerWilco, I guess I just rudely motored on thinking you guys had taken a different route back (I took 66 all the way home). If it's any consolation, I received a performance award in Luther for my haste. The young cop (they all look so young now, they're calling me "sir" now instead of vice versa, ah, the weirdness of getting older...). He kept it in the "won't affect your insurance or driving record" range but it was clear from the start he wasn't going to ignore his small town's need for revenue from an OKC resident. Oh well, all mercy is appreciated, no matter how small.

Lots of fun boys. I expect it'll be more so when it rains and cools a bit....someday. And hopefully more OKC guys will join the fray. I enjoyed hearing from the Tulsa guys about going over legendary and just plain dangerous Black Bear pass. That's become my yardstick of 2 wheel courage, not sure I could do it even on a proper dirt bike. We'll need to come up with some good trips or lies to top 'em.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #95
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
My take: one terrific day!
Dadayama chose a very good route and both he and 20valves were kind enough to wait for me at all the turns and stop signs. They both repeatedly offered to change the pace if it would make me more comfortable. Hitting that stretch of sand while going around 35-40mph gave me quite the hiney-clinch; hopefully it will relax in a day or two. For just a second there I thought I was gonna die while sliding from side to side.
The guys from Tulsa are a nice bunch and have a lot of stories to tell. They seem to really get around and are no doubt, serious riders.
And a big real big "thank you" to Dadayama for helping me with the flat, actually he did all the work. All I did was find a place in the shade. He even followed me back to my "bike swap" location just to make sure I was okay. After this incident I see an air compressor and a plug kit in my near future. Any suggestions?
All in all, rides like this little"adventure" are exactly why I added the 1200GS to my stable and I look forward to riding with you guys again , but first I'm going to have to get a new rear tire.
And oh yeah, I was so busy just trying to keep up and keep vertical that I never even noticed the heat, not until we all exited the Rock Cafe with it's air conditioning, anyway. Then, it kind of hit us in the face.

RogerWilco screwed with this post 07-22-2012 at 02:49 PM Reason: you know, grammer and stuff
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #96
JPSpen
At Large

Oddometer: 1,185
Sounds like you guys had fun. When the heat let's up I will definately join up for a ride. Newner and those guys are a riding bunch.

5 weeks till the weather moderates.
Sorry about Luther. The police are volunteer there. So they probably get a commission. :-)

John
I like the wind in my face and Boobies too !!..

JPSpen screwed with this post 07-22-2012 at 07:48 PM
JPSpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:30 AM   #97
Newner
Buffering

Oddometer: 1,534
It was good to catch up with you guys for lunch. We will have to do it again sometime...... Our ride was a little less eventful, no flat tires but we did have to make a stop here:

They would not let us inside to tour the complex due to ATGATT.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #98
20valves
Yamaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newner View Post
They would not let us inside to tour the complex due to ATGATT.
Thank God, that could have resulted in pictures.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #99
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer: 3,638
A day off in the heat, going to ride East again...

I have one early morning project, then I am heading out from Wayne to points East, maybe the Talimena Drive, before turning back. Will be riding the Nighthawk and taking the camera with me. Anyone who wants to tag along at any point along the way is more than welcome. I know this is short notice, but any excuse to ride is a good one. You know you are all feeling a bit sick right now. Who is that sniffling?

-Joe

Trust and Respect take years to earn, but can be lost in a moment.

Life's too short to hold a grudge. -Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #100
JPSpen
At Large

Oddometer: 1,185
BMW of OKC Auction

I didn't buy any bikes.. The 1956 R26 went for $5500.00. Glad I wasn't there because I might have gone 6K ....

But I did buy their Hofmann Dynamic motorcycle tire balancer... So I got of nice piece of their shop..Spin Balance anyone ?

I let the Coats tire machine get away. It went for $600.00. Damn !

Some dumbass gave $75.00 for a $30.00 Harbor frieght dolley... A bunch of folks laughed out loud at that one..

Anybody else go ? What did you get ?

John
I like the wind in my face and Boobies too !!..
JPSpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #101
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen View Post
I didn't buy any bikes.. The 1956 R26 went for $5500.00. Glad I wasn't there because I might have gone 6K ....

But I did buy their Hofmann Dynamic motorcycle tire balancer... So I got of nice piece of their shop..Spin Balance anyone ?

I let the Coats tire machine get away. It went for $600.00. Damn !

Some dumbass gave $75.00 for a $30.00 Harbor frieght dolley... A bunch of folks laughed out loud at that one..

Anybody else go ? What did you get ?

John
I didn't go, but when I need the tires balanced, I know who I am looking up.

-Joe

Old 07-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #102
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purcell69 View Post
i didn't go, but when i need the tires balanced, i know who i am looking up.

-joe
+1
Old 07-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #103
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcell69 View Post
I have one early morning project, then I am heading out from Wayne to points East, maybe the Talimena Drive, before turning back. Will be riding the Nighthawk and taking the camera with me. Anyone who wants to tag along at any point along the way is more than welcome. I know this is short notice, but any excuse to ride is a good one. You know you are all feeling a bit sick right now. Who is that sniffling?

-Joe
You opened this can of worms... since you are taking a camera... just remember it didn't happen unless you take a picture...

Will be waiting to see your report... Will live vicariously through you...

Pedro
Old 07-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #104
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadayama View Post
You opened this can of worms... since you are taking a camera... just remember it didn't happen unless you take a picture...

Will be waiting to see your report... Will live vicariously through you...

Pedro
Camera is loaded on the bike and I'm headed out in a few minutes. More to follow...

-Joe

Old 07-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #105
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 765
Hey joe it was cool getting to meet you the other day on southside, that's one clean nighthawk!
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote