Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
QatarRider OP
Qatar Rider

Oddometer: 45
Cornering Techique

OK, so doubltless the 'old timers' will chuckle, but;

I've got a 1956 Panther with chair in the UK, and ride it bolt upright, never move in the saddle, never have any issues with left hand bends (remember it's RHD, so chair on the left) (I've got a 1960 Dnepr too, but it's slow slow that all bends are straight!)

Out here in Qatar I've got a Ural Retro, much lighter on the chair, and smaller wheels, so closer to the ground, and LHD drive, so chair on the right.

If I exit a roundabout with any speed, that's on a right hand turn, the chair goes light and the buttocks start to clench. I thought about 50kg of sand in the chair, but then started to shift my weight over the chair on right handers.

Two things happen, the chair is less inclined to fly, and as you unweight the rear wheel, by shifting weight to the sidecar wheel, the back end slips round, helping to complete the turn.

Do other inmates do this?

Rob
QatarRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
To be short...yes, I shift my weight to the inside of ANY corner I am taking.
I have experienced the pucker factor of flying the chair at speed.
My bride was less than impressed and let me know it.
Slow down and lean in, that's the ticket.
Cheers.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
isaac-wombat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMaa View Post
To be short...yes, I shift my weight to the inside of ANY corner I am taking.
I have experienced the pucker factor of flying the chair at speed.
My bride was less than impressed and let me know it.
Slow down and lean in, that's the ticket.
Cheers.
And the LOOK, I'll betcha got the LOOK too?
isaac-wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
In the right turn it's the lifting of the throttle that adds to the chair wanting to fly. Shift your weight toward the tub, stay on throttle and practice controlling the chair lift by applying front brake. Now keep in mind if your speed is too hot you'll still have issues. Practice, practice, practice and your understanding of controlling the rig is right on.

Good luck...

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
Sidecar-less for now
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,339
I'm with BeeMaa. I shift my arse over on just about every curve right or left except for the really tame ones. That way, in case something unexpected happens like the chair wheel hitting a hole, I'm already in position to handle it.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,648
Yes!

I've got 2 rigs - a big heavy Goldwing GL1500, and a KLR650 rig. Riding the KLR rig I find I use a lot of body english on RH turns (the car is on the right side like it should be :^) , hanging my butt off the saddle to the right, and kind of pushing hard on the bars (kind of motocross style). Hard LH turns, I move my ass way back and hang off to the left to help keep the back wheel planted. I don't need to do it as much with the Goldwing, but still do it a bit - seems to reduce the pucker factor
GreatWhiteNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,937
I'm with BeeMaa. My sidecar companion is a gun dog, and though Barley looks meek and mild-mannered, he his the bane of small animals. The dog lunges after every squirrel, rabbit, and occasional bird. In my early days when I was just learning to fly, his left hand lunges took me by surprise a couple of times and it's a miracle of Body English that we didn't flip!

So call me a wimp, but my norm is to shift weight forward and out for right hand turns, back and out for left.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac-wombat View Post
And the LOOK, I'll betcha got the LOOK too?
She has a mirrored face shield, but I will assume yes...I got the LOOK.
Although I couldn't see her eyes, we do have an intercom...
I'll let you imagine how that went.
Cheers.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
kailuasurfer
Dreamer

Oddometer: 346
Also with BeeMaa. I always shift/slide my arse when turning as a matter of habit - I slide to 3 o'clock off my seat on right turns and 7 on left turns (with tub on right). (Shifting to 7 on my Ural seems to make front wheel skip across turns - not sure why the Ural behaves so differently. Any thoughts about this?)

Also agree with Scott in Shoreview. I find throttle control and artful use of front brake absolutely critical for tub side turns. In most right turns, I find myself using just my right hand controlling the throttle and brake while "hanging out" near the tub.

Because of all the shifting and sliding on my seat, I no longer wear my sticky motorcycle pants/suits on my rigs unless cruising long distances. I find jeans easier for shifting and sliding.

With all the shifting and moving around, I find driving a sidecar much more physically demanding than riding on 2 wheels. My recent trip to the twisties near Suches, GA required extra doses of ibuprofen.
kailuasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:59 AM   #10
NitroMax
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by kailuasurfer View Post
Also agree with Scott in Shoreview. I find throttle control and artful use of front brake absolutely critical for tub side turns. In most right turns, I find myself using just my right hand controlling the throttle and brake while "hanging out" near the tub.

With all the shifting and moving around, I find driving a sidecar much more physically demanding than riding on 2 wheels. My recent trip to the twisties near Suches, GA required extra doses of ibuprofen.
Yep
1200 cc Z1000 dragbike (1976)
300 cc MZ transporthack (1989) winterhack
900 cc BMW R 90/6 hack ( 1976) summerhack
750 cc BMW K 75 RT ( 1993 ) daily driver

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter ( Mark Twain )
NitroMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:39 AM   #11
Agent Wayward
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Uk, so left hand chair also.

I keep the chair empty and it's light too. I aim to fly the chair whenever possible, especially in fast left hand sweeping turns. Because it's fun and perfectly controllable.

If things are getting a bit too lairy, I lean into the chair and open the throttle wider, it soon calms down a bit.

If you're getting nervous everytime the chair goes light, you need to practice some flying.

www.motopodd.com
Agent Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:32 AM   #12
jeffygs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
noob

with my naked GL1100/ EML rig and maybe only 3K worth of sidecar experience. I have found with my rig set up properly and if I stay within the speed limit on turns I never have the pucker factor, exceed the SL and it seems to cause me to have lots of issues I don't want or need. So Ive decided to follow the speed limits in the twisties so I don't soil my Aerostich. Oh and I do a lot of leaning also
jeffygs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #13
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffygs View Post
with my naked GL1100/ EML rig and maybe only 3K worth of sidecar experience. I have found with my rig set up properly and if I stay within the speed limit on turns I never have the pucker factor, exceed the SL and it seems to cause me to have lots of issues I don't want or need. So Ive decided to follow the speed limits in the twisties so I don't soil my Aerostich. Oh and I do a lot of leaning also
I've always maintained the idea that the posted speed limit in curves is posted just for sidecarists. If I push it like I can on 4 or 2 wheels I find it can get a bit hairy. Wandering into the oncoming lane is something I'd rather not do that's for sure.

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
Sidecar-less for now
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #14
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,633

Quote:
Hanging off right moves the combined CoG toward the right, increasing tipover resistance. Carrying ballast in the sidecar will also result in the combined CoG being more within the tipover triangle, but ballast adds mass that makes acceleration and braking more sluggish.
Thats from
Advanced Cornering Dynamics

at Cycle Sidecar.

Quote:
A combination with a low CoG will have better tipover resistance than a taller outfit.
Which helps explain why the Panther-outfit behaves differently. Of, course all this material (from Cycle Sidecar) depicts RHS-Sidecars.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #15
QatarRider OP
Qatar Rider

Oddometer: 45
Cheers guys, more good answers from fellow sidecar nuts. Many thanks, Rob
QatarRider is offline   Reply With Quote