Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #31
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
I can back Dakez up on that temp thing (from my time in OIF), when it's 110F+ and you are moving along at 60mph in mesh gear, you can't drink water fast enough to make up the sweat loss. Your body runs at 98.6 so if you wear windproof gear with some venting, don't exert much muscle movement, and drink a liter every 15 minutes you will be fine.
Soak a long sleeve polypropylene shirt in water about every hour and a half or so with vents partly opened on a good jacket and plan a route that does not have you stopping much you don’t even need to worry about the hydration as you are not sweating.

I am not talking commuting in stop and go traffic here. I was on a trip and I was indeed very comfortable.

For stop and go stuff I would have some type of A/C gear that circulates cool water through a vest.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #32
nwdub
Banned

Oddometer: 1,097
I'll vouch for dakez, he knows his stuff.
nwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #33
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
If new bikes are so much better, how come my Nortons keep going up in value?

I can back Dakez up on that temp thing (from my time in OIF), when it's 110F+ and you are moving along at 60mph in mesh gear, you can't drink water fast enough to make up the sweat loss. !

Dakez hardly even broke a sweat, why would he have water loss?

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #34
Griffin44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
While I think I understand the OP's sentiments and tend to agree with them (I tour on a sport bike fer chrissakes) I try to practice the "to each their own" mentality. Even when I don't understand the attraction of a 2 wheel winnebago I do try to cut the rider of one some slack and realize he/she has a different take on the whole thing than I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
Why would anyone choose to uncomfortable when you don't have to be? No thanks, I'll sit on the floor, in front of the couch.
I dunnno, life isn't all about seeking comfort. Being slightly uncomfortable isn't a bad thing at all. It keeps you awake and focused and tends to be better for your overall fitness. And, I often sit on the floor, crosslegged in front of the couch. Much better for my back and I get to stretch my hamstrings and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalancePoint View Post
The biggest difference between the old days and today when it comes to complaining and bitching is the internet.
I agree.

Someone cracked about the "Golden Era" and I hear some folks around here talk about the '70's as being that. Not for me. I rode in the '70's and my experience now is far preferable to my experiences then.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #35
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Keep playing the fool and wearing your mesh in 100+ temps. It's no sweat off my back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
I'll be "comfortable" wearing my mesh 80-95+, but over 100 degrees, sweating sealed in my jacket, riding ain't much fun no more.

I don't wear mesh over 95 degrees, I do exactly what you do... and I still sweat my ass off!

Then again, I admit, plenty more stop-and-go traffic here. But that shouldn't make a difference, seeing as I wouldn't have any wind going through my jacket no matter what my speed.

More fortunate man than I, DAKEZ...

Anyway, I'd get one of those A/C rigs to pump air through my jacket, but then the OP would call me a pussy and hurt my feelings.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #36
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,543
Quote:

Anyway, I'd get one of those A/C rigs to pump air through my jacket, but then the OP would call me a pussy and hurt my feelings.
I don't think he'd be happy unless you pushed your bike to school, uphill both ways

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #37
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
I don't think he'd be happy unless you pushed your bike to school, uphill both ways
In 113 degree weather with a foot of snow on the ground!
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #38
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
Dakez hardly even broke a sweat, why would he have water loss?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=31
Old 04-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #39
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Quote:
You just don't know what you are doing. My last ride in temps 105 to 112 degrees I hardly even broke a sweat and I was very comfortable.

You lack the gear or the knowledge of how to use it.
Lets just say there was a slight bit of bravado in this one. I dont mind, your probably a fine rider and very knowledgable, but dont try and make someone think there is a magic gear pill that can be taken to stay cool on a 112º day. Short of the ice water circulation, it's hot and even then you will feel like you have your head in a blast furnace.

I will leave this one so as not to distract any further from the OP's rant.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #40
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 404
I have owned several bikes over the years. Up until my current bike, none of them would be considered even remotely technologically advanced.
My last motorcycle was a 2000 Ducati Monster 900i.e. And while it was fuel injected, it really exemplified to me what a motorcycle is. Motor, wheels, basic suspension, fuel tank. The fuel injection worked but only just. There was no wind protection. It sucked to ride for more than 200 miles at a time (and only had a slightly more than 125 mile range typically).
It wallowed through fast sweepers with the suspension set perfectly. It shook its head vigorously if pushed too hard.
I have first dibs if the new owner ever decides to sell it. And I will do whatever I can to buy it back at that time.
I am that emotionally attached to that machine. It felt truly like motorcycling.

That being said, the new bike (2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring) has all the bells and whistles and is quite simply the best motorcycle I have ever ridden. I don't mean that in an emotional way. I mean that in a clinical observation way not an emotional way. Emotionally, I know that this bike will get me from point A to point B no matter how many miles and obstacles are between here and there. It will do it fast and in relative comfort but it won't engage my senses in the manner that the Monster did. And at this point, I can't say I really care. The Monster left my knees sore after long rides. My back would complain and I usually had a mild headache after a day on the Monster that I don't get on the Multi.

The difference is, the Multi is a tool to get a job done. The Monster was an experience every time I rode it.

I guess it boils down to what is more important...getting the job done as efficiently as possible or avoiding the job and being engaged with the motorcycle between your legs. For me it does at least.
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #41
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,098
Quote:

I don't wear mesh over 95 degrees, I do exactly what you do... and I still sweat my ass off!

Then again, I admit, plenty more stop-and-go traffic here. But that shouldn't make a difference, seeing as I wouldn't have any wind going through my jacket no matter what my speed.

More fortunate man than I, DAKEZ...

I'm a pussy in the heat. Anything over 90° and I suffer. I'll still ride, but I am not comfortable at all. On the other hand, give me a single digit day with the right gear and I am just fine. My preferred weather is between 35° and 75°.

Oh, and mesh can work, but it depends on too many factors. Humidity helps a lot with mesh. Dry air and high temps are a different story. Point being, what works for one person does not necessarily work for others. So a blanket statement only shows that that person doesn't look past their own nose!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #42
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post

How the fuck old are you? You got to be a kid because you damn sure are a know it all.
Yes Dakez, the motorcycle salesman from Oregon, thinks he has all the answers. That's why he dominates this forum with the intensity his boss would rather him deploy on sales. But he has an excuse. He's probably making progress with using the web to help his business. Who else does that well? It's an art and he's trying to find it I think.

But the Old guy is the OP! He's the most ancient 45 year-old I've seen here. The fellow came of age long after motorcycles were already made friendly by Mr. Honda.

I am 63, and I love the new bikes. I will never have to kick start a fking BSA 500 on a single track side slope again! ALL of my bikes have a magic button. Some have a tough seat, but nothing a sheepskin and Nike compression shorts can't handle. Gotta' have the heated gear, though, and at least a flyscreen. I donno about traction control. My dual sports are manual, and I like those moments when I can kick the back out and gather it in with the throttle and peg weighting. But most of the time I just putt around. I could be on a scooter...

In the heat I wear the same gear as I do in the cold, less my heated liner. Gortex all the time.

I tried a T shirt in AZ one summer. The windblast killed me. The Gortex shell was back on after a couple fuel loads. The Dakar guys are pretty instructional about that.

I ALWAYS use a Camelbak. I sip regularly. If I don't a cramp often shows up. A few sips and the cramp is gone in minutes. Never had to even stop.

The broader your riding horizons, the more you learn about what works for you. There is no one size fits all. Of course we all know that. Even Dakez..
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #43
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
My preferred weather is between 35° and 75°.

Jim
+1 I will take cool over hot any day.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #44
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
My interpretation of the OP's rant is he thinks a lot of folks don't understand the visceral side of riding, because they don't feel the wind, sweat when its hot, freeze when its cold, get wet when it rains, or get lost on the backroads because their GPS is steering. I understand that feeling. There is something to be said for being in closer touch with the basics of what you are doing, which is flying down the road, dirt, or track at high enough speeds to be a little scary and maybe a little bit uncomfortable and hopefully very thrilling. All the modern doodads can insulate you from the basic experience to the point that you feel like you're in a Toyota Camry--makes sense, lots of comfort, no thrills.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #45
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post

Motorcycles are vehicles that require skill to operate and attention to your riding environment.
So.....your saying I shouldn't use the cruise control to change out DVDs on the Harley?

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote