Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #76
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I crossed the Mojave in late July, during the daytime, it was 126F in the shade.
I wore jeans and a T shirt. Like riding in a blast furnace.

The old Triumph did great, lots of overheated cars though...
I did 60 mph, cars were blowing by me with the AC on, then were on the side of the road 20 miles up with smoke pouring out from under the hood...
Did you hardly break a sweat?

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:39 AM   #77
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 2,811
When did we stop appreciating...

I appreciate mo' betta. I am gonna lay it into that turn, chase ya down the straight, miss the ridges and bumps down there and beat ya to the finish. Wow, beat ya by xx seconds, boy. That's riding. That's the visceral, the edge. I don't have to get close to the edge with the right setup. That's the learning curve there, boys.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:19 AM   #78
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis 2000 View Post
I appreciate mo' betta. I am gonna lay it into that turn, chase ya down the straight, miss the ridges and bumps down there and beat ya to the finish. Wow, beat ya by xx seconds, boy. That's riding. That's the visceral, the edge. I don't have to get close to the edge with the right setup. That's the learning curve there, boys.
If you would just let me know your in a hurry I would have pulled over, I dont do the visceral/edge part.

IBA 22425
Old 04-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #79
rivercreep OP
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrdr55 View Post
Fixed it. Only you can answer that.
...well, if "I" ever stoped appreciating the basic fundamentals of motorcycling, I wouldn't dreaming about the Ural Patrol that I'd love to buy as a replacement for my TU250 and Cage.

Anymore, on almost any thread, you'll find someone who bitches about seat comfort, wind noise, a 250 lacking enough power to commute on a highway, lack of ABS, T.C. and plug in ports for their GPS or lap-tops.

What I find myself missing the most, is the ability to walk into a dealership and find an affordable basic motorcycle that isn't geared towards beginners.
...and not being too proud, I included myself in the "we" collective as I've made comments about wind noise when asked about the shield I use on my little all-weather commuter.

I'm wondering if we started a poll around here, how many guys even work on their own bikes anymore.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #80
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
...well, if "I" ever stoped appreciating the basic fundamentals of motorcycling, I wouldn't dreaming about the Ural Patrol that I'd love to buy as a replacement for my TU250 and Cage.

I'm wondering if we started a poll around here, how many guys even work on their own bikes anymore.

I'd love a Ural Patrol, I'd also love a K1600. Just because one is old tech and one is new means nothing. I look at it kind of like my first CJ 7 Jeep, no carpet and a cloth top. It takes a solid six hours to get to the beach from where I live. Drive straight thru because you couldn't lock it up and people would steal your shit. First night there I'd hear that top flapping and roaring all night long while I was trying to sleep. Contrast that with the Nissan Xterra a couple years ago, Quiet, A/C worked and when you get in a rain water doesn't gush in through the vent, could make a leisure drive there stopping at the Shiner brewery on the way down, San Antonio on the way back. Just as good on the beach but much more comfortable. So which was more fun, depends on what I was going for.

Bikes the same way, I ride a KLR so you cant accuse me of being a tech freak. But I did put a Mayer seat and a Madstad windshield on it, I did it because I can see no reason to physically hurt myself doing my exploring on the bike. I will typically ride 300 to 500 miles on one of the weekend days off looking up old historical markers, monuments or sights of Indian battles. When I did it on a bone stock KLR, I had to eat celebrex like it was candy. Now, I'm tired but no big deal. I mean I use a chainsaw to cut firewood because I can cut more, it's quick and easy.

For what it's worth, I agree that I wish there were more inexpensive bikes for commuters. But they wouldn't sell, too many looking for the visceral/edge ya know.

I normally work on all my shit unless it's over my head or I don't have time. Though it's been a long time since I bought a set of tires for the car and took them home and installed them myself.

IBA 22425
Old 04-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #81
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Anymore, on almost any thread, you'll find someone who bitches about seat comfort, wind noise, a 250 lacking enough power to commute on a highway, lack of ABS, T.C. and plug in ports for their GPS or lap-tops.
And where's the problem?

Quote:
Interesting question. I allways wonder what joy do some people find in... well... repairing their bikes instead of riding them? Of course, if you can't afford to not work on your bike yourself that's completely understandable, but hardly desirable.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #82
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
Interesting question. I allways wonder what joy do some people find in... well... repairing their bikes instead of riding them? Of course, if you can't afford to not work on your bike yourself that's completely understandable, but hardly desirable.
This is hard to describe, but I have this sort emotional connection to my bike that is only deepened by wrenching on it. I would say I enjoy wrenching just about as much as riding.

Might be one of those, "You get it or you don't " things.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #83
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
I can understand the love of "wrenching."

But there's wrenching, and then there's being regularly stranded or having the desire to ride interrupted by a bike that won't start. I can't imagine anyone finding these types of situations anything more than tolerable. If you find these types of things enjoyable or otherwise a source of a deepening connection, then I want a kilogram of whatever you're smoking. However, I will add that I ALWAYS do my own work on my bikes, and I feel every bit as competent as whatever tech the local dealerships have working in their shops. And quite frankly, I don't trust many of the Japanese motorcycle shops in my town and the prices are absurd, but that's another story.

Speaking more generally, we live in an age where I can get that visceral motorcycle experience all while having a reasonable level of comfort and dependability. As a hypothetical, let's say I'm deciding between two bikes that I equally desire. But one has a know mechanical issue and slightly less comfort with buffeting; why would I pick that one over the other that doesn't have those flays ("character traits")? In so doing, am I less of a "real" motorcyclists? Am I missing out on some classic experience from a bygone era? Have I lost sight of what this all is supposed to be about? Am I being unappreciative? How?

The world has always had shitty motorcyclists that probably should have stuck with public transportation. Trying to use shitty motorcyclists as some kind of argument against modern motorcycle technology is one you're doing a poor job of accomplishing. Motorcycles themselves are as safe and reliable as they've ever been. Overall, I think this is a positive trend.

I leave you with a question. If you were the master of the universe, what would you change about all of this that has left you upset, and why?
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #84
IRideASlowBike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
Summer of 2010 I rode from Madison WI via North Carolina to Miami, and then back up through the deep south and the river road to home. My God it was muggy. The entire trip was spent hot.

The Harley was (obviously) air cooled and I had only a leather jacket. I keep minimal gear in the states and I can't afford full sets of both. So I have good cycle pants and a jacket, and then rain shell type gear. I remember riding through Montogomery AL at 105 degrees in 15mph traffic. Just pure, hot, hell. Heat pouring off the engine onto my legs, sun literally pressing me down into the seat. Sweat just pouring down across my face; full face helmet with vents wide open, but they don't do much good at low speed. I stopped and drank gatorade at every stop. Wetted my shirt and stayed cool. It was a great ride! But damn. That was hot, especially when you're used to temperatures near the arctic circle.

You were on a Harley... Now imagine riding from Philadelphia to Key West in July on a 1990 Kawasaki Concours. Full fairing (no airflow whatsoever), full gear, hot 4-cylinder engine throwing tons of heat on your legs and crotch. Pure misery. I ended up regularly doing 120 mph for long stretches at a time in jeans and a t-shirt. I shudder to think of what may have happened.

I did almost the exact route the year before that, but I was on a cruiser: Suzuki Intruder 1500. No windshield. Also full gear. Actually wasn't even that bad. Airflow makes a huge difference, even if it's freaking hot.
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #85
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,097
I don't remember, and i think its so dry out there you would not know if you are sweating or not.

Now someplace like Washington DC in the summer, with the humidity, you sweat like crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
Did you hardly break a sweat?
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #86
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,097
I never had a bike that took a lot of work to keep running, the Daytona was close but I abused the crap out of that bike.
Here it is after I repainted it.

I connect with cars and bikes by working on them, and think its a great asset to know a bike inside and out for when you do have a problem.
Come to think of it, I did have a bike that needed work almost every ride, a yamaha IT175.
That was more of a race bike though. maybe modern Euro bikes are a bit like that.

Its not that I could not afford to pay someone to work on a bike, or a car, I have other things to do with that money, like more bikes, more mods, plus, someone else's work is always suspect.
And I can't say I enjoy riding much in the cold rain, so its fun to wrench, restore, upgrade in the man cave with tunes and some brew.

You get more out of something the more you put into it, I mow my lawn, have planted every shrub, bulb and flower in the gardens, laid every rock in the rock borders, do my own plumbing, electrical, painting, wall paper, built a nice den.
When people say the place looks nice, its all on me and my wife (who did the planning).

I wash, wax, clean and change all the fluids in my cars and bikes, and if something needs a valve job, or a repair, I do it, from head gaskets, to differential and transmission rebuilds, I even rebuild my alternators, starters, heater blowers, etc.
Pride in ownership, ownership at a very low cost, bonding with things and understanding them.

I am a ham radio operator, and built all my own equipment for that.
I can't say I have a lot of respect for someone who just buys a box, put it on a table and talks into it, with no idea how it works or how to fix it.
I guess I have no respect for anyone who just BUYS something, no matter how expensive, but a lot of respect for someone who built, repaired or restored something with their own hands.

Oh, and that IT175 once swallowed a reed valve 20 miles from home.
It took me 5 minutes to figure out what happened, another 5 minutes to find an old soda can to cut and block off the open port. I made it home on the other reed valve.

Knowledge is power.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #87
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,543
And, honestly, I should have elaborated by saying I love wrenching on my bike to make it better.

If I had to wrench on my bike just to get it to run at all (pre-evo Harley's *cough, cough*) I would not enjoy it.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:13 AM   #88
rivercreep OP
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
And where's the problem?

Let me put it this way. (in regards to the highlighted part)
Putting it that way, there is none....(joy)
Putting it the way I'll state it below DOES give you joy.

There's quite a few guys around here (judging from posts I've read) who only pay to have their bikes worked on and have no general concept of mechanics/trouble shooting.
Not that the above matters most times but...
...many of the types above can't even tell when something is starting to go wrong (until it completely fails) as they have no idea how to even look for potential problems.
I imagine breaking down in the middle of nowhere and being stranded with no cell signal (there's plenty of places like that in my area, up north), tools, or any concept of how to get yourself going again, would be even less fun than MAINTAINING YOUR VEHICLE VS. REPAIRING IT. or worse; having a failure while traveling at 65 mph that sends you sliding along the road surface and into a gaurdrail. (that also doesn't sound very joyful)
For petes sake...look how many guys shy away from bikes with tube type tires these days because they don't even know how to repair a flat along side the road. (no fun but, with no signal or back-ups around, wouldn't it be nice to be able to, esp. on a sunday?)

F.W.I.W. I'd rather be self sufficiant than have more money than brains and be armed with only a cell phone and $. (and access to AAA)

I don't find ANY joy in making repairs to my bikes. I DO find great joy in maintaining my bike and being self sufficiant so as to NOT have to rely on other people. (and it keeps "repairs" at bay)
I look upon those who CAN turn a wrench with respect (and Guys who can weld and machine parts ARE GODS to me) and I see that as a form of them having earned their place as a rider vs. merely being a poser.

I mean nothing deragtory in my last paragraph, it's merely my point of view. Hell, I don't even hold myself in the same league as the guys who can weld and machine parts. (makes me a "poser" in some regards)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:20 AM   #89
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I never had a bike that took a lot of work to keep running, the Daytona was close but I abused the crap out of that bike.
Here it is after I repainted it.

Knowledge is power.
Nice looking Daytona, I lusted mightly for the green one in High School.

IBA 22425
Old 04-29-2012, 05:44 AM   #90
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
@rivercreep
I bought me a modern, new Honda, so I don't have to bother about "failures". In my area there are no spots without cell signal or without someone coming along every few minutes, so no bothering about beeing stranded in the middle of nowhere as well.
Again, it sounds to me like something that results out of necessity - completely understandable and maybe essential in some ares, but still not desirable or joyful for me.

If someone has fun in tuning his bike by his own hands, ok, not my thing but I can understand it. But not as a must have part of driving in itself.