Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 34,583
Taking a Prius Up a Mountain

So my father is obsessed with getting a Prius making me go

But 1 issue that I think will come up, his commute includes a 15 minute severe uphill....literally climbing up a mountain. Will the battery last for that or will it be struggling on gas only near the top?

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Tweaker

Oddometer: 8,615
Think of all the regenerative braking on the way down. It all evens out. Is he looking at a plug-in?
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
Think of all the regenerative braking on the way down. It all evens out. Is he looking at a plug-in?
He wants it, but my step mom already said no to a car that slow (it's 2 seconds slower to 60).

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 04-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
He wants it, but my step mom already said no to a car that slow (it's 2 seconds slower to 60).
Sounds like choice of which automobile is the least of his problems.
Hughlysses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Dave
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
So my father is obsessed with getting a Prius making me go

But 1 issue that I think will come up, his commute includes a 15 minute severe uphill....literally climbing up a mountain. Will the battery last for that or will it be struggling on gas only near the top?

If you press the pedal far enough (more than, say 1/2") the regular engine will kick in, and it will go up just like any normal car. It will have no more or less traction than any other front drive car. (dependent upon quality of tires, of course)
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,950
If you take a Prius up a mountain, please, for the sake of road users everywhere, launch it off the mountain when you get to the top.

I did actually see one pulled over by a cop last weekend, I can only assume the cop got pissed off following at the Prius-mandated 10MPH under the limit.
Garp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
If you press the pedal far enough (more than, say 1/2") the regular engine will kick in, and it will go up just like any normal car. It will have no more or less traction than any other front drive car. (dependent upon quality of tires, of course)
What I'm wondering is can the electric motor keep going for 15 minutes straight without a chance to recharge since he'll need full gas + electric to make it up at any half decent rate.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
If you take a Prius up a mountain, please, for the sake of road users everywhere, launch it off the mountain when you get to the top.

I did actually see one pulled over by a cop last weekend, I can only assume the cop got pissed off following at the Prius-mandated 10MPH under the limit.
I'm trying to find everything wrong with them that I can so he doesn't buy one.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
This thread is going to wind up in CS&M.

JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,038
Why would you not want him to buy one and why would you care whether or not the gas motor kicks in? It makes no difference to the driver when it switches back and forth. The one we have at work has been doing the duty of the S-10 pickup it replaced without a single complaint from our field crews. It is faster, more comfortable, gets better mileage and has been way more reliable. They like it and treat it just like our other work trucks.

In other words a Prius doesn't require any special driving skills or treatment. Our little work truck of a Prius is pretty comfortable, gets great mileage and drives just like any other decent subcompact. But the amazing thing is not one repair in two years of commercial abuse where it is always hauling a load of tools and two guys. You could do a lot worse than buying a Prius when it comes to compacts and subcompacts regardless of powertrain.

Anyway, I don't mean to jack you up about it. I am just saying they are nicer cars than people give them credit for. I was 100% against buying the thing for my GPS crews but have since had to admit I was 100% wrong about it. And just because hypermilers accelerate gently, drive slowly, coast a lot and go as far as possible in EV mode doesn't mean that is all the car is capable of. My field crews sure as hell don't drive it that way.

Bottom line is that they are actually pretty nice little cars to drive just like any other Toyota transportation appliance.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 12:20 PM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,546
Volt.

All the electric with none of the Prius.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

The Volt does seem like a very nice car. But at $8,000 more than the Prius plug in hybrid and over $20,000 more than a Prius C it should be.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Bottom line is that they are actually pretty nice little cars to drive just like any other Toyota transportation appliance.
Appliance being the bottom line, built with all the excitement and passion of a Maytag washing machine. If that's what you want, then great, but I suspect most people here want a little more out of their cars. If we cared that much about Fuel Economy we wouldn't be riding bikes in great big pointless circles round the country just for the hell of it There are so many more involving cars that you could spend your money on if fuel economy is a factor get a VW TDI, not a Prius.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

I agree. Just saying that if somebody wants one why bother trying to talk them out of it? They work just as well as any other transportation appliance.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I agree. Just saying that if somebody wants one why bother trying to talk them out of it? They work just as well as any other transportation appliance.
Some people want to commit suicide, but I'd try and talk them out of that too

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: