User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #16
Donster
No trick too cheap

Oddometer: 557
I've got 85K miles on my 2007 Prius and it's been a great car. People who ride in it for the first time seem to expect it to be a golf cart, but it's just a very nice mid-size car--that gets (in my case) 49 mpg since new. I'd buy another one in heartbeat. I even got a speeding ticket in it.
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #17
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donster View Post
I've got 85K miles on my 2007 Prius and it's been a great car. People who ride in it for the first time seem to expect it to be a golf cart, but it's just a very nice mid-size car--that gets (in my case) 49 mpg since new. I'd buy another one in heartbeat. I even got a speeding ticket in it.

The motoring world thanks you for your speeding ticket.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #18
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
What I'm wondering is can the electric motor keep going for 15 minutes straight without a chance to recharge since he'll need full gas + electric to make it up at any half decent rate.
what difference does it make? it's a hybrid, meant to use what's required, not an electric.
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #19
Dave
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donster View Post
I have 54K on my '07, and it too just goes. My wife and I gave a friend a ride the other day. At first he grimaced about having to ride in the back. Once in, he commented on how roomy it is.

You guys are missing out. Just don't get it in some loud color, and you can do WELL over the speed limit on any highway, and the cops don't even bat an eye.

Awesome Q ship.

Hauls a ton of crap, too.
Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #20
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,373
I just finished a class on hybrid vehicle technology. We had a bunch of used transaxles, motors and batteries from various taxi service Priuses. These are used in San Francisco which as you may know has a lot of hills. When they get up in the high 100k mile range in taxi service, the transmission fluid should be changed. The debris makes it conductive and it will trigger a check engine light. There's a center bearing that can go bad in taxi service above 200k miles.

Put it another way, they're very reliable in taxi service. Your dad is probably not going to drive it like a taxi. My stepdad has a 2010. I enjoy driving it. The dynamics are good. In suburban neighborhoods, it's fun to see if it can be kept in the pure electric mode for as long as possible.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #21
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Why would you not want him to buy one and why would you care whether or not the gas motor kicks in? It makes no difference to the driver when it switches back and forth. The one we have at work has been doing the duty of the S-10 pickup it replaced without a single complaint from our field crews. It is faster, more comfortable, gets better mileage and has been way more reliable. They like it and treat it just like our other work trucks.

In other words a Prius doesn't require any special driving skills or treatment. Our little work truck of a Prius is pretty comfortable, gets great mileage and drives just like any other decent subcompact. But the amazing thing is not one repair in two years of commercial abuse where it is always hauling a load of tools and two guys. You could do a lot worse than buying a Prius when it comes to compacts and subcompacts regardless of powertrain.

Anyway, I don't mean to jack you up about it. I am just saying they are nicer cars than people give them credit for. I was 100% against buying the thing for my GPS crews but have since had to admit I was 100% wrong about it. And just because hypermilers accelerate gently, drive slowly, coast a lot and go as far as possible in EV mode doesn't mean that is all the car is capable of. My field crews sure as hell don't drive it that way.

Bottom line is that they are actually pretty nice little cars to drive just like any other Toyota transportation appliance.

The issue is on steep grades they need both the electric and gasoline motors....without a chance to charge like in normal operation both motors would be under a pretty constant high load. It was a problem in many older hybrids.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #22
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,373
Quote:
The issue is on steep grades they need both the electric and gasoline motors....without a chance to charge like in normal operation both motors would be under a pretty constant high load. It was a problem in many older hybrids.
Gee, you think Toyota hasn't tested them that way?

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #23
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,344
This link won't help

to dissuade your pop from buying one...

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-...ikes-peak.html
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #24
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,857
I know my opinion won't change your Dad's mind but here is my opinion of my GF's Prius. What an amazingly craptastic car. She bought it without really thinking about it...just heard all the hype about it getting good gas mileage.

She then proceeded to drive it like a normal car and got 32 mpg. Ya what an amazing bit of technology there. Only after retraining herself was she able to get into the 40's. And yes that is doing the 10mph under the speed limit, creeping up hills (which it will not do on ev power alone) and generally being a pain in traffic.

I have been forced to drive it a bit and will say this....it's slightly better than walking. But not by much.

Go for the Focus/Fiesta/Mazda 2 anything but a Prius.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #25
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 19,003
Quote:
So my father is obsessed with getting a Prius making me go

But 1 issue that I think will come up, his commute includes a 15 minute severe uphill....literally climbing up a mountain. Will the battery last for that or will it be struggling on gas only near the top?
The only reason to take a Prius up a mountain is to push it off
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:20 AM   #26
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,093
Quote:
Baaaaaah hog wash
The inlaws have had every version of the Prius the live in the Santa Cruz man out side of Los gators ca.
Steep winding man roads with fast traffic. None of their priuses have given them any trouble on any hills including the Rockies.

We have a first gen civic hybrid. It will pull 80mph over 4,000feet passes.

Sure when you get to the top the battery is discharged. And the engine is working. But it keeping up and often passing traffic and it's got 110,000+ miles on it.

Oh and it's getting 45mpg
Old 04-27-2012, 04:16 AM   #27
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 8,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
The Volt does seem like a very nice car. But at $8,000 more than the Prius plug in hybrid and over $20,000 more than a Prius C it should be.
True. Worth it.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:58 AM   #28
clevishook
stevedore

Oddometer: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
I suspect most people here want a little more out of their cars. If we cared that much about Fuel Economy we wouldn't be riding bikes in great big pointless circles round the country just for the hell of it .
Great line! Almost spit coffee all over the key board.
clevishook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #29
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
Baaaaaah hog wash
The inlaws have had every version of the Prius the live in the Santa Cruz man out side of Los gators ca.
Steep winding man roads with fast traffic. None of their priuses have given them any trouble on any hills including the Rockies.

We have a first gen civic hybrid. It will pull 80mph over 4,000feet passes.

Sure when you get to the top the battery is discharged. And the engine is working. But it keeping up and often passing traffic and it's got 110,000+ miles on it.

Oh and it's getting 45mpg
I almost bought one of those....the issue was I can get 40 MPG with my current Civic EX and it's a lot faster (just doesn't have A/C or a usable trunk ).

And dammit why can't there be issues with the car I mean it is a Prius and he is basically Mr. Tea Party it shouldn't be this hard to get him into another car. I'm doing this in part for him, my step mom will throw a shit fit probably having to drive that car. She squeals the tires on the minivan taking turns on the mountain roads and wants a car that handles well/has AWD. My dad is scared of massive gas price increases.....so that's what I think is driving his thought process. The issue is they live in the mountains where plowing happens 2-3 days after snow. So the AWD makes a ton of sense too....though my ideal option of an AWD hemi charger isn't flying a Subaru sounds decent enough.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #30
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
If you take a Prius up a mountain, please, for the sake of road users everywhere, launch it off the mountain when you get to the top.

I did actually see one pulled over by a cop last weekend, I can only assume the cop got pissed off following at the Prius-mandated 10MPH under the limit.
I drive one of the quickest small production cars made in the year 2000. Yesterday, following a Prius merging on the freeway, I had to really push it to keep up. They are not slow. I personally wouldn't own one, but they are mainstream now. Get over it.

Quote:
What I'm wondering is can the electric motor keep going for 15 minutes straight without a chance to recharge since he'll need full gas + electric to make it up at any half decent rate.

Exactly what kind of grade are you talking about. And how 'fast' can it be if it is as steep as you say?
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: