Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #46
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,846
Posted on the Prius Chat forum.

Posted by one member that was the most comprehensive that I found
2004 package #9, tideland pearl, purchased 1/12/04
typical commute 2.5 miles, avg. temp 57 F, range 45 - 70 F.
highest mpg on a fill up 67.01
lowest mpg on a fill up 29.60
average fill up 5.97 gallons
avg 2006 38.01 for 10479.90 miles driven
avg 2007 40.26 for 13923.20 miles driven

Still want to call BS that I got a couple of tanks with 32mpg? This guy is averaging 38mpg over 10k miles and then 40mpg over the next 14k. To get a 40mpg average when the max was 67mpg, you have got to throw some low 30's tanks in there.

Anyway back to the regularly scheduled topic. Can a Prius make it up a long hill? Yes. Just like a regular 4 cyl car would.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #47
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post

Still want to call BS that I got a couple of tanks with 32mpg? This guy is averaging 38mpg over 10k miles and then 40mpg over the next 14k. To get a 40mpg average when the max was 67mpg, you have got to throw some low 30's tanks in there.

Anyway back to the regularly scheduled topic. Can a Prius make it up a long hill? Yes. Just like a regular 4 cyl car would.
Jimmy:

I don't think everyone is calling BS. What may be likely is your example is a statistical outlier that doesn't align with most other folks. I have at least 10 friends who drive that model as their everyday car and they all average 40-50 mpg in everyday run around town driving. At least according to them. I live in the hilly part of Colorado so it's not all sea-level and flat. I also know that a Prius can move along quite well at the local interstate speeds of 75.

Perhaps your GF's Prius has some sort of other issue that accounts for the poor performance and/or mileage?

I have a BMW M3 as my "fun" car. I can drive it reasonably and get 22-25 MPG or if I drive it like i like to drive it I can get 7-12 MPG.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #48
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,776
Tell the old candyass to buy a motorcycle and commute on that.

And to be more on topic, doesn't diesel or tiny 4banger turbo make more sense than hybrid for highway commutes? Power when you need it, not hauling batteries around when you don't...
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #49
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,569
You guys fighting over MPG might want to check the altitudes of where your respective priii are driven.

Might explain at least a bit of it.

How much ethanol happens to get slopped in the tanker when they mix it might have something else to do with it too. Some days I wonder how accurate that process is, or if some gas stations 'fudge' things a bit.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #50
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,866
Quote:

Bingo. His average commute is 2.5 miles. The Prius does not get warmed up in that distance. They do not become efficient until the engine temp is up to full operating temperature, and that generally takes 4-5 miles. If you are doing a lot of short trips where the car never warms up, the mileage is gonna be less. Of course, that is true with any car, it's just more noticeable in the Prius. My driving is mixed, some short trip and some long. As I mentioned, my average from November through April has been 42mpg the past five years, and May through October I get over 50. And I don't drive like granny. I go with the flow.

What year is your girlfriend's car? The dash configuration does not look like any Prii I've personally seen.....my experience has been with 2007 and later model years.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #51
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,846
Hers is a 2010 and looks exactly like that with the exception of mpg instead of L per 100 KM. Sorry if I sounded pissy....that really wasn't my intention. Oh and in honor of post 911 for me, I must do the following. (sorry for the hijack again)

Jimmy the Heater screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 01:12 PM
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #52
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,256
Driving a Prius, the way they get their better or best mileage, is rather Zen. Its a driving experience, just not like a VW GTI experience. I am sure they designed the rubbery steering and allowed the wallow like suspension so that people wouldn't be tempted to drive sporty (IE lower mileage) - I think that's pretty ingenious design. I drive my friends 04 Prius a lot. Its just a comfy, quiet, economical transportation capsule. In any area with serious climbs and descents you'll lose a considerable portion of mpg's, the re-gen isn't going to pick up the difference like it will in more moderate ups and downs. Driving long distance in the mountains you can stare at the energy display for hours and see it cycle between modes or mixed modes without apparent reason, so you can't predict which mode it'll be in. I presume that's the fuzzy logic band.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #53
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,473
Quote:
Hers is a 2010 and looks exactly like that with the exception of mpg instead of L per 100 KM. Sorry if I sounded pissy....that really wasn't my intention. Oh and in honor of post 911 for me, I must do the following. (sorry for the hijack again)

That kinda hijack is always welcome

Oh and good news...no Prius's will be joining my family

He test drove another one (with all the options he wanted) on 29 which is hilly but not as bad as 33 which is the actual mountain...and even there he was going into the "power" most of the time so the mileage wouldn't have been worth it.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #54
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Driving a Prius, the way they get their better or best mileage, is rather Zen.
Screw Zen, I want performance, I want a shit eating grin every time I open the garage door. Appliances have there place in the world, but not in my garage.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #55
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
Screw Zen, I want performance, I want a shit eating grin every time I open the garage door. Appliances have there place in the world, but not in my garage.
And standard cars are getting a lot more fun/fuel efficient. With modern turbocharged direct injected motors you can get into the high 30's/low 40's and get a ton of torque to go with it.

Just 2 years ago it was 30 MPG mid sized sedan VS 50 MPG Prius, but now you have improvements in engines/transmissions letting those more traditional cars get close to hybrid numbers and they cost thousands less/pollute less in their construction. I don't know exactly where the break even point is for a hybrid but it isn't as clear cut as it used to be.

I'm greedy though...give me a turbo direct injected motor set up for mid/high range and a hybrid motor for down low...now slap that into a CR-Z and I'll be happy. That car needs a good 250hp.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 04-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #56
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

And I just got a call....turns out he is buying the outback aka the main car I was pushing

Old 04-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #57
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
So my father is obsessed with getting a Prius making me go

But 1 issue that I think will come up, his commute includes a 15 minute severe uphill....literally climbing up a mountain. Will the battery last for that or will it be struggling on gas only near the top?
I've driven a rental Prius over a steep mountain pass and it didn't have a problem. It wasn't fast, but it certainly wasn't struggling. I wouldn't worry about it.

I guess it doesn't matter now, though, if he's going for the Outback.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #58
Donster
No trick too cheap

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
The motoring world thanks you for your speeding ticket.
Such scintillating wit...
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #59
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Bingo. His average commute is 2.5 miles. The Prius does not get warmed up in that distance. They do not become efficient until the engine temp is up to full operating temperature, and that generally takes 4-5 miles. If you are doing a lot of short trips where the car never warms up, the mileage is gonna be less. Of course, that is true with any car, it's just more noticeable in the Prius. My driving is mixed, some short trip and some long. As I mentioned, my average from November through April has been 42mpg the past five years, and May through October I get over 50. And I don't drive like granny. I go with the flow.

What year is your girlfriend's car? The dash configuration does not look like any Prii I've personally seen.....my experience has been with 2007 and later model years.
The Prius has a thermos in the left front fender that will keep the coolant hot over night and warm for about two days.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #60
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,630
Quote:
Call BS all ya want...just sharing my/our miserable experience with the car. Yes you can put it into power mode and it has more than enough go to do just about anything.

Driving my Miata, normally, not sporty I get 30 mpg

Driving the Prius on that commute 32 mpg.

Yes you can hypermile/drive like a grandma and get some incredible mileage out of the thing. But said driving style takes me down to 17mph on one of the hills if I try to keep the display out of the pwr area on the right. (not my pic, found on the net to illustrate what I am talking about)

And yes the tires are the stock low rolling resistance tires and they are properly inflated. Toyota certified mechanic checked it over as well and there is nothing wrong with the car that they could find. They said our mileage figures fall within the normal operating range.

You like your Prii.....great! I'm happy for you, I really am. But my girlfriends.....Well I just don't see the point of it. If driven in the same hypermiling way, I bet the new Fiesta would be able to post some damn high numbers as well. (Just did a little research and there is a 50mpg club on one of the Fiesta forums)
Haters will be haters. I drive 75 commuting to work and have some stop and go, averaged 48 MPG for 20K miles on my Prius. I used to have a Miata and some macho jerks said it was a girlies car. When I had a Porsche 997S some people would say the Vette was better. Gets tiring listening to people who seem to feel the need to dump on other peoples choices.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: