Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #16
MikeFromMT
Past Tense

Oddometer: 3,672
First you'll need to kill that Beaver or you'll just be wasting your time.
Depending on the size of the dam chainsaws, ropes, chains will do just as good of a job. Not quite as fun as blowing it up though. If it's a big assed dam you'll need some serious bang, I've seen them 15 feet high and 20 feet thick at the base and 100+ feet long, another was about 1000 feet long and 3 feet tall, I've ridden across several.

You're required to post the video.

Do I look like a man with a plan?
MikeFromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #17
Fe Man OP
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFromMT View Post
Depending on the size of the dam chainsaws, ropes, chains will do just as good of a job. Not quite as fun as blowing it up though. If it's a big assed dam you'll need some serious bang, I've seen them 15 feet high and 20 feet thick at the base and 100+ feet long, another was about 1000 feet long and 3 feet tall, I've ridden across several.

The dam is on the upstream side of a road which has a culvert running through it. The dam is completely inaccessible; the upstream side is underwater, the downstream side is the road, the dam of mud and sticks completely blocks the culvert. Chainsaw is a complete waste of time.

Killing the beavers will not be required. I had something of my own creation in place for years and was completely effective until two years of extreme drought left the pipes high and dry. They subsequently collapsed and somehow disappeared.

http://www.clemson.edu/psapublishing/pages/afw/afw1.pdf

Fe Man screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 02:49 PM
Fe Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #18
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,543
They sell a bulk order, you mix it and put it into your own container. I don't see why packing a couple wrapping-paper tubes full wouldn't work, and if you originate the blast at one end, it will propagate to the other, forcing energy downward. If you put another charge at the bottom, say a zip-lock full, and set the tube on top of that, you might get good results. I'd be tempted to use a ziplock of smokeless propellant, but again, have no idea of the legality of that.

Don't try this at home, check your local laws, etc etc ad nauseum.
Smithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #19
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFromMT View Post

yeah, we tore out a dam in canada one year so we could get our boats through the channel. came back about 14 hours later and the damn dam was bigger than the day before.

before the tear out:

the next day:

it's a good thing we were leaving a boat on the other side.

there was another dam further up that raised the water level almost three feet and created a huge wetland.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #20
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,181
The best beaver dam I ever saw was perfectly round. They built the dam around a storm water pond overflow and their lodge in that new zombie proof concrete box and pipe. The devious little bastards flooded a just planted forest mitigation area around the storm water pond and ate themselves a couple of hundred tasty new saplings before anybody noticed. They pretty much wiped out every new store bought tree on two or three acres. The developer was not amused.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #21
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,483
It sounds like you don't mind the dam, and just want to reduce the amount of impounded water. Can you use a horizontal boring machine and run through the dam through the culvert from the dry side of the road and run some PVC through the borehole? It might be faster, easier, and safer than blasting, and might last longer.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #22
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,723
ADVMAX to the smoking unstable phone please
Old 04-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #23
Fe Man OP
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
It sounds like you don't mind the dam, and just want to reduce the amount of impounded water. Can you use a horizontal boring machine and run through the dam through the culvert from the dry side of the road and run some PVC through the borehole? It might be faster, easier, and safer than blasting, and might last longer.

dude; horizontal boring machine....

Maybe I could just get the Air Force to drop a laser guided missile on the upstream side of the dam; or may the US Army Corp of Engineers could come in an install a set locks...If I was going to acquire a horizontal boring machine, I'd just rent a track hoe and un-fuck the mess in one scoop!

I'm talking about a couple of hundred dollars worth of destruction so I don't have to get in that filthy fucking water up to my nutsack and dig it out myself, not a highway building project.

Boom!

Install new pond levelers, aka drain

Beavers go the fuck away because there isn't enough water for them to get their beaver jollies!

Problem solved.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #24
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,055
A battery activated model rocket ignitor will ignite whatever you want it to, if you rig it properly...

Tannerite sounds much more fun (and maybe more legal than a large pile of gunpowder) and is readily available at Sportsman's Warehouse.
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #25
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,485
I actually have certifications in Explosives Engineering and did two years of blasting cap research with the host of the Discovery Channel's short-lived show The Detonators.. but, I got nothin'.

Take a video of whatever you end up doing!

crazydrummerdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #26
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch451 View Post
Hold my beer and whatch this!
Someone had to say it

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #27
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
I am, still laughing over the horizontal boring idea.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #28
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,293
We had an infestation, state wildlife folks have a guy on contract. This was a dammed up spring, dam was maybe 100ft long, guy cuts a hole in their dam and puts out a killer trap. I think he got a dozen, then tore out the dam. It was flooding a big patch of woods, drowning trees, and high water blocking entrance to a farm field.
My point being, if they are creating a nuisance, maybe the state will take care of it as they did for us.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #29
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,230
You got pics of the dam in question?
Old 04-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #30
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Man View Post
The dam is on the upstream side of a road which has a culvert running through it. The dam is completely inaccessible; the upstream side is underwater, the downstream side is the road, the dam of mud and sticks completely blocks the culvert. Chainsaw is a complete waste of time.

Killing the beavers will not be required. I had something of my own creation in place for years and was completely effective until two years of extreme drought left the pipes high and dry. They subsequently collapsed and somehow disappeared.

http://www.clemson.edu/psapublishing/pages/afw/afw1.pdf
that is one cool toy
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: