User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
dirtriderbloke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
dust/dirt down spark plug hole??

hey guys. my bike was running like a bag of ...., so i did the jetting(mixture screw) and followed the manual...that was easy and ive done jetting before. then did a spark plug chop test. however, when taking out the spark plug and putting 1 of em back in.... there was an average amount of dust/dirt around the spark plug hole which i couldn't really get to, to even clean and i noticed some of the dust actually went inside the cylinder and could even see a large piece on the top of my piston.

I called up a few people and bike shops and most of em told me to take the plug back out and crank the bike so the dust blows out with the air/compression of the piston back up through the hole...so i did that and all the dust cleared away(but not sure where to).

my questions are:
1. would that dust really do much damage to the piston/cylinder?
2. will the filters catch any amount that's in there?
and 3. should i drain the oil too?

and if anyone has any other recommendations as to what measures i can take to clear out some that may of gone in there, id be more then happy to hear them too :)
dirtriderbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
This happened to a fellow riding buddy when he changed his plug on his DRZ 400E, he didn't clean around the plug and dirt fell into the cylinder, he rode the bike and you guessed it, it scared the cylinder and piston rings, had to have them replaced. I'd pull the head and clean and check the cylinder for damage it you have run the bike, if not you still have to pull the head to clean it, change oil, I guess you can't be too careful. I always power wash the area and blow it dry before I change plugs.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
dirtriderbloke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
cheers for that mate. i did run the bike for a bit, as i was going to drain the oil and wanted to drain as much of the oil as i could....bike still runs fine. also did a compression check and has full compression. don't really want to take the head off it, not confident and don't really want to pay for all the labour costs as it's just had a full rebuild about 55+ hours of riding ago.

i always pressure wash the bike after every ride but still had built up dust around there
dirtriderbloke is offline   Reply With Quote