User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
michelsavage OP
Gotta move

Oddometer: 53
Helmet urgent help please

Just received my new F650GS twin, all farkled up. Very agile bike, very easy to "marry". Lots of low-end torque. Anyway, here's my problem. At the store, i tried the X-551 X-Lite helmet. That's the helmet I wanted. But I must have a rather squat or round head, it would just not go past my ears. So, I tried a Schuberth C3 (very, verrrry expensive). It seemed to fit. However, I found the strap biting at my throat, and above 80 km/h, the wind noise was like a hurricane. I should point out that I have a tall V-Stream windshield. Once home, I read the C3 manual and did the fitting tests. The helmet is probably too big by one size (I have an XL, and should have an L acvcording to head size). I really need quick advice here for I am going back to the store in the AM tomorrow. Is the hurricane noise due to this type of helmet, to its size being slightly too big, to the V-Stream windshield, or to a combination of all the above? Should I try another type of helmet with the V-Stream... Thanks for any input. Mike
michelsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
dsrydr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Take your time and find a helmet that is comfortable and fits right. A new helmet should be very snug, as snug as possible without having any pressure points that will give you a headache. It will break in and loosen up a little. If it is not tight enough when you buy it, it will be too large when it breaks in thus it will not protect your head like it should. Try as many different helmets as you can till you find one that fits RIGHT. Expensive helmets are nice and worth the money in my opinion but the right fit is what matters most.

The chin strap needs to keep the helmet on your head in a crash and needs to be snug as well. If it is uncomfortable on your neck/chin the helmet may not be the right fit. Again try on as many different helmets as you can to compare.

As for noise.. some helmets will be somewhat more quiet than others, but the shield is causing the noise. That's a trial and error deal.. height, shape, bike ..... Foam earplugs help but that's something you will have to figure out what works best for you.
dsrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
shelion
Goddess of Fire

Oddometer: 379
+1 on finding a proper fitting helmet.

One of the features of Arai helmets (only know about them specifically, may apply to other higher end helmets) is that they not only have different shaped liner shells, but they are also different sizes. Some helmet companies use the same liner for all size helmets and just vary the thickness of foam for all the sizes. Arai helmets also feature different shells for round, oval, or long oval head profiles. I think both of those things contribute to a better fit.

On the noise, all helmets are noisy though some are worse than others. The size of the helmet doesn't affect the noise factor though. It is most likely your windshield that is the culprit.

While in the store, ask if they have a salesperson that can help you fit a helmet. If it's a decent dealership, there should be at least one person on staff that is trained in proper helmet fitting. Find that person and have them help you.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
If they have the Shoei Neotec, worth a try. reported a little louder than C3, but I can't compare.
I am guessing that the helmet is hitting the wind coming over the shield. Depending where it is hitting the helmet, can make it louder. I have an adjustable shield, and all the way up it just hits the top of the helmet. Pretty quiet until I open the top vent.
I would try on all the helmets they have and see what fits YOU the best. I am loving the Neotec, so my recc. I did like the fit of my Nolan N40 also.
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:07 AM   #5
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelsavage View Post
tried a Schuberth C3 (very, verrrry expensive). It seemed to fit. However, I found the strap biting at my throat, and above 80 km/h, the wind noise was like a hurricane.
that's interesting, I found the Schuberth to be unbelieveably quiet, But I gave up on windscreens and have the aeroflow bug screen (just covers the back of the gauge cluster). I've even heard my phone bleep in my tankbag.

I also have an Arai XD3, I bought it at a Rally from the Service pavilion, and they take the time to swap out the liners to fit the helmet to your head, it is very comfortable for me, but the wind noise is deafening.

both of those helmets are for more of a intermidiate oval, for a rounder head like you mention try a Shoei.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:24 AM   #6
Hap Hazard
Adv Want a B

Oddometer: 67
If it fits properly the C3 is very quiet. I'm guessing yours is to large and wind is getting in from the bottom. Bike's winshield place a large role in noise. Stand on pegs at speed and gauge wind noise.

The chinstrap issue is interesting. Adjust the buckle on the "tongue" side to lengthen it. You should still have plenty of ratchet left to fasten it smugly. This moves the pressure point away from adam's apple. I got this hint from factory tech.
Hap Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 523
Last year I finally learned how to fit a helmet....It only took me 40 years to learn.

The primay fit point are around the top of your head...duh not the cheeks. First find the size that is firm there, then add or remove padding at your cheeks.

I have a round head, most have a long oval head. Different helmet fit different shapes better Duh again.

It was the Aria factory rep at the NYC motor cycle show who explained this to me. Their RX-Q helmet is for the rounder head people. They have another model, for the long oval...but similar in other ways.
Evan with the RX-Q that fit the top of my head correctly the cheeks where way to tight. I had to remove more that evan Arai designed to be removable.

Looking back I have long had other helmet that fit my cheeks but not my head. i.e. they were too big.

I believe there are other helmet makers that also have "round" head helmets, I think the shoe Quest was one.
I tried the Shuberth C3 at the show, intent on buying one as I like the modular functionality better...but it just did not fit me.

Think about this. Hope it helps
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:26 AM   #8
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,163
On the noise issue, I would agree that a helmet that is a size too large or does not fit snug around the cheeks can be loud. I swapped out the cheek pads on my Shoei Qwest for one size thicker and the difference in sound level was quite amazing.

There's a number of videos on YouTube showing folks testing helmet fit ...
and a nice discussion here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...helmet-faq.htm
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
michelsavage OP
Gotta move

Thank you

Well, I finally replaced the C3 with a Shoei Neotec. I haven't tried it on the road yet, but the fit is quite tight. Plus, the chin strap is a double D (sounds like a bra). So tomorrow, I will test it in the real world. Whatever happens, I'll have to keep it for the seller won't replace my helmet twice.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
michelsavage OP
Gotta move

Tried it

I tried the Shoei Neotec in zero degree Celsius. Good fit, for sure. I hear wind on both sides, but no buffeting like the C3. The chin strap is comfortable. No fog despite the cold. I`ll adapt.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,300
can't you ask your dealer to test ride them? I know that's the way I went and ended up with a C3.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 310
Good Helmet and Earplugs

A decent helmet is clearly key to and enjoyable ride. Take your time is a given as a proper fit is a very personal thing.

As far as creating quiet get yourself some proper custom earplugs. Not the foamies but some properly vented custom plugs that are made to cut out the wind and whistles. They are a bit of an investment but I wouldn't ride without them now. The difference is dramatic.

As an aside the wife and I wear Shark Evoline 2's with the sharktooth intercom system. Very happy with the functionality and the quality for the price.

http://www.protectear.com/products/db-blocker/
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #13
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
I bought the Neotec when i bought my bike the other week. It is noticeably more quiet then my other helmet that I had. I get a little wind slapping sound on top, but nother major. It was around 33F here going into work the last two morning and no fog. It came with some pinklock lens as well that I didn't really look at yet.
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by BcDano View Post
A decent helmet is clearly key to and enjoyable ride. Take your time is a given as a proper fit is a very personal thing.

As far as creating quiet get yourself some proper custom earplugs. Not the foamies but some properly vented custom plugs that are made to cut out the wind and whistles. They are a bit of an investment but I wouldn't ride without them now. The difference is dramatic.

As an aside the wife and I wear Shark Evoline 2's with the sharktooth intercom system. Very happy with the functionality and the quality for the price.

http://www.protectear.com/products/db-blocker/
Just bought one of the Shark Evoline 2's myself...today is the first ride w/ it...liking it so far. Without getting too far off topic, how much were those db-blockers, and which model did you get?
Old 08-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #15
nytrashman
old and in the way

Oddometer: 579
The first C3 I had was incredibly loud. Returned it for the next size smaller and was amazed at how quiet it was. My advice, get the next size smaller C3 and enjoy the quiet.
nytrashman is offline   Reply With Quote