User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
Zedwardson OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Hello, and a question(s)

I know that I am sure you had the question before, in fact, I am sure I asked this question a few years ago on this forum.

Anyways

I am 32 year old, 5'11, heavyset (though loosing weight) man who decided he wants to buy a motorcycle. Though one of the few rules i have is that in my misspent youth, I got into debt, and while its not normal just to ignore it, I am now almost completely debt free and I am stashing over $250 a month into my "slush fund for fun", and anything to do with this I am going to refuse to go into debt, its going to be cash and ride.

I have never ridden a motorcycle in my life, though I do know how to ride a peddle bike. I am the first to admit -- I know nothing, and I plan to zoom just locally for a summer prior to doing group rides or any big travels on the bike. I been reading all that I can while got my finances in order.

Step one will be taking the MSF training class at the "Local" community college, which is a hour away. it is the closest class.

After the class, I should have a better idea of what type of motorcycle I might want to get, but also, at that point, it will be time to buy the safety gear. I know I will be buying a full-face helmet, along with full body protection, (though don't know if I am going with something like a Olympia Stealth suit or a leather jacket and some sort of lower body protection more then jeans. Also don't know much about helmets except for what certifications to look for when buying one.

Then comes the infamous question, which motorcycle should I be looking at first? I have asked around, but one thing I learned is that a lot of folks in person want to 1) Sell you there old motorcycle that they are trying to move, or 2) just crazy talk. I am not the most informed, but I know that a big Harley is NOT the best first bike for someone who never ridden.

As a note on my riding area - I live in the high country of North Carolina (Ashe County), lets just say that highway performance is NA for this bike, as Ashe County roads are twisty and not overly high speed. I need a bike that you can turn safely, not one that can go 90+ on the freeway. Though I wouldn't mind going on the Blue Ridge Parkway for a nice ride.

As I said, I am 5'11 (with kinda shortish legs, so might want to think of me as 5'9-5'10) and I am a big guy who been loosing weight (I would like to be 260, but I will be most likely 280 when I buy this bike) I have been looking at bikes at about 250-400cc.

If I was to buy new (or almost new) then I would have stuff like a new Ninja 250, or the new Honda CBR250R. Great reviews, but I hate that "Rice burner" look. That, and I don't want to lean over for long rides, looking for more of a standard or cruiser sitting. Of course, if I was going by looks, it would be something like the tu250.

But I am most likely going to be buying used, and I have not been looking at motorcycles long enough to know what would be a good used motorcycle. I am looking in the categories of Standards, Cruisers, and Dual Sports (If I am tall enough, as about 20% of the local roads are gravel roads. (Yes, I live in the sticks) I don't mind buying a older bike as long as I can get parts and its mostly reliable. Also the less expensive it is, faster I can get to the point of buying one.

As for maintenance, I don't mind learning, but I want to learn to be a motorcycle rider, not a motorcycle mechanic. Also, I don't mind buying something that I might just sell later, as this is going to be a learner bike. (Of course, if it a bike that still a hoot to ride is a bonus.)

So, what type of bikes should I look at?

<-- Sorry if this is beating a dead horse, as I am sure you heard this question a billion times.
Zedwardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,256
Suzuki DR650...a DL650 would probably work too, but would probably be easier to ride on gravel after you get some experience under your belt
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
I would look at everything on 2 wheels until you get the class behind you. I would go sit on every bike in the dealership and look at every brand out there.

Your gonna get a million people on here telling you that you need to buy what they have or want to have. But your asking a question no one can answer but you and you cant answer it until you understand the question.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedwardson View Post
I know that I am sure you had the question before, in fact, I am sure I asked this question a few years ago on this forum.

With one post? Who's fake n00b are you?
Old 04-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
Zedwardson OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
With one post? Who's fake n00b are you?
I thought it was under Zedwardson, but it said I didn't exist, may have been ZSedwardson or Drgong. But I have not posted here in well over a year, and still have yet to get a bike. Decided Debt free > buying bike, and now that I am debt free, gonna get a bike.
Zedwardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
Alton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
I would look at everything on 2 wheels until you get the class behind you. I would go sit on every bike in the dealership and look at every brand out there.

Your gonna get a million people on here telling you that you need to buy what they have or want to have. But your asking a question no one can answer but you and you cant answer it until you understand the question.
+1

I recommend staying under 750cc, but even that isn't set in stone.
Used is the way to go for your first bike. Much less depreciation if it just doesn't work out.
Alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post
+1

I recommend staying under 750cc, but even that isn't set in stone.
Used is the way to go for your first bike. Much less depreciation if it just doesn't work out.
I Second* 'Used' because the FIRST bike is the one that'll fall over, and bung-up something.

After the Riding Course . . . . learn how to pick-up motorcycle from prone position. And without any hesitation, if fuel starts to leak out.

Be safe!
*(The word Second is used in the context of commending author of other Post.)

vortexau screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 07:15 AM Reason: clarification
vortexau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,476
Buy something relatively small, cheap and used. After riding it for a few months you'll have a better idea of what you want. Sport bike, cruiser, standard, dual sport or scooter, it doesn't matter. Just get something with two wheels and a motor and go ride.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedwardson View Post
As I said, I am 5'11 (with kinda shortish legs, so might want to think of me as 5'9-5'10) and I am a big guy who been loosing weight (I would like to be 260, but I will be most likely 280 when I buy this bike) I have been looking at bikes at about 250-400cc.

If I was to buy new (or almost new) then I would have stuff like a new Ninja 250, or the new Honda CBR250R. Great reviews, but I hate that "Rice burner" look. That, and I don't want to lean over for long rides, looking for more of a standard or cruiser sitting. Of course, if I was going by looks, it would be something like the tu250.
Whaddya know! We're close to the same size and we like the same bikes .

Go find a (couple) dealerships and sit on some bikes to see how they "fit." The Ninja and CBR look the part of sportbikes but they're really not, especially the Ninja-- the seating position is far closer to a standard than a sportbike, and are quite comfortable for a beginning rider. The CBR250 is also a great bike, Honda really scored well with the design.

A good friend of mine was about your size and his first bike was a Ninja 500, he really enjoyed learning on it (FYI, don't let the 500 scare you, the Ninja 500 is a docile machine, NOT a Gixxer-- and in your case, perhaps one to consider for the "huskier" man).

Don't discount the TU250, the TU250 isn't just a pretty face-- it's a great bike too, and far more comfortable for a guy of your stature than something like a Rebel, Virago or GZ250 (what they'll likely teach you on in the MSF). Plenty of fans of that bike here at ADV, it's not one you'll get bored with anytime soon.

Other possibilities:
TW200: I want one sooo bad. NOT a highway mile eater, but very confidence inspiring for a new rider, and you get to goof-off on dirt.
XT250: A nice dual sport that's not as tall as others. Once you get comfortable to ride, taller bikes shouldn't bother you any longer, but this one is a friendly starter
S40/Savage: Another great starter bike if you're in the cruiser market. 650cc but a thumper so it's docile. Also a great first bike for someone your stature, it's a nice "goldilocks" size.
Scooter: Don't laugh... they're great fun and friendly to learn on, and you have scads of options there as well (Vespa, Kymco, Genuine, you name it-- just don't go Chinese and you're set).

Good luck!
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

Oddometer: 460
All that advice just about covers it. You already have your ducks in a row and some of them are already quacking, so you're in good shape for shopping around. Sit on 'em all until you find the one that feels right. I've had a dozen bike, not many by comparison to a lot of members here. I had a Harley and a Goldwing and many smaller bikes down to a 125 that I started on. They all have there purpose and I've enjoyed them all but I'm back to the Suzuki Vstrom DL650 and lovin' it. Small, easy to ride, cheap and lots of parts available as well as lots of advice and assistance. Some one else suggested staying under 750cc but I've found that 650cc fits my needs perfectly for general purpose riding.
LIMNCS #51
Bill_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #11
TheFitz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Good luck in your search. It sounds like you're on your way to starting off right!
TheFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #12
Strave19
n00b savant

Oddometer: 77
I would think something like a TU250 would be perfect. Or a yamaha XT250, which is a fun, easy to ride bike that you can take anywhere.

If you're at all interested in wrenching you could look for an older '70s early 80's KZ400, CL350, type of bike. You will likely not find one price well that doesn't need at least a little bit of work though...
Old 04-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #13
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 1,983
Buy something used that speaks to you. Ride it. When you're bored with it, or interested in something else, sell it and buy the new one. Rinse, repeat. There is no perfect bike, but there are a lot of good bikes out there. Do yourself a favor and ride/own as many of them as possible.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...

gastone screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 08:53 AM
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #14
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,876
If you are concerned about how well the bike will handle on a twisty road, you should stay away from the cruisers. You turn a bike by pushing on the handlebar, so a little bit of a lean on to the handlebar is helpful in that regard.

It sounds to me like a Suzuki DL650 would be just the ticket for you. Big enough to carry a big guy. Versatile enough to serve you for a long time. Handles a twisty road very well, and comfortable enough to take a long road trip on. They also get great gas mileage. Also they can be had with anti lock brakes.

One mistake you don't want to make is to be too concerned about what other people may think of your ride. The only person who has to be happy with it is you. The anti rice burner crowd will not like a Japanese cruiser any better than any other Japanese bike. You're the only one paying for it, so it's only your opinion that matters..

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 198
Consider an older Honda Nighthawk. Nearly bullet proof, low maintenance, low entry cost, standard riding position.

Conedodger is offline   Reply With Quote