User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,840
Time for a new camera

Our aging Canon Rebel XTi has been a good camera for our family. I have learned a lot about cameras and photography in general in the 7 years or so that we have had this camera. But, I feel like it is time to move on. However, since I have been pretty happy with this camera I have not kept up with the latest trends in the DSLR world.

Most of our pictures seems to be of family, and indoors at family gatherings, or just general day to day stuff with the kids. We also have used the old Rebel to take semi professional family portraits and reunions and stuff. So long as there is plenty of light it does good, but that is often not the case in most people's homes.

So, low light performance is a must. The kids are just now starting to get into sports and stuff, so something that works fast and/or takes a lot of pictures per second would be nice. We typically do not use RAW image files that often, however, when we are taking pictures that I plan to print larger than 4x6, I shoot RAW exclusively. With today's DSLRs, i don't know of any that do not shoot RAW, so I guess that is a moot point.

Price we can spend: up to 1500, but maybe a little bit more if that much camera is much better than whatever camera is below it in price point.

Thanks for any info, and if you have questions that would help point me the right direction, then ask away.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,878
Low light and sports are all about the glass, not the body (AF for sports a minor exception)

What do you currently have for lenses? Depending on what you have, $1500 wisely spent on lenses will have a far greater impact than a new body, IMO.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer

We have the standard lens, a 55-250 1:4-5.6 IS, and a 50mm 1:1.8. I actually really like using the prime. It can take some pretty good pictures. None of those are anywhere near professional glass.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,878
You might consider a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC ($600) to replace your kit lens, keep the 50, and spend the rest of your budget on the best telephoto you can talk yourself into. The very well regarded 70-200 F/4L is $700. They are both available used for less than that as well.

That also frees up the option of selling the XTi with the kit lenses down the road to pay for a slightly newer semi-pro body like the 40D or 50D.

I remember when I eventually bought some decent glass for my four-year-old Pentax DSLR; the difference is remarkable. Nice thing about lenses is they don't really depreciate much - I've bought some used, sold them for what I paid, and tried a different focal length. Going to do it again, actually, swapping a 35mm prime for a 70mm macro. Trying to figure out how few lenses I can keep in my bag and get all the shots I want.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by grainbelt View Post
you might consider a tamron 17-50 f2.8 vc ($600) to replace your kit lens, keep the 50, and spend the rest of your budget on the best telephoto you can talk yourself into. The very well regarded 70-200 f/4l is $700. They are both available used for less than that as well.

That also frees up the option of selling the xti with the kit lenses down the road to pay for a slightly newer semi-pro body like the 40d or 50d.

I remember when i eventually bought some decent glass for my four-year-old pentax dslr; the difference is remarkable. Nice thing about lenses is they don't really depreciate much - i've bought some used, sold them for what i paid, and tried a different focal length. Going to do it again, actually, swapping a 35mm prime for a 70mm macro. Trying to figure out how few lenses i can keep in my bag and get all the shots i want.
+1

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
Alton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
For lighting, spend some cash on a decent Speedlight and/or a lighting kit for staged portraits.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Speedlit...553928&sr=1-32

http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-P...5553990&sr=1-5
Alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer

Thanks Alton, but I have a Speedlight already, should have mentioned that in the first post. I almost never use the built in flash now. I either use the speedlight, or just bump the ISO up a bit.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Basically you have 2 steps for improving your low light/focusing....new lenses and a new body.

I went new bodies first personally but that's due to them being such huge jumps and offering specific functions over my previous D50, in the Canon range I don't see anything like Fuji's dynamic range...or the huge jump to the FF D700 is out of your price range if you want new. So yes a body would improve things but not night and day.

This means in your situation I would go with the lenses...the 17-50 mentioned is a nice one, Tamron has amazing optics in their fast lenses I've used. A 70-200 F4 from Canon would work, you could also get a 2.8 from Sigma (non-IS) or Tamron for a similar price. I don't know much about the 70-200 F4 from Canon so I'd look up how sharp it is compared to those third party lenses. Since they are about the same price I'm sure there's lots of comparisons out there.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 04:38 PM
Old 04-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
You might consider a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC ($600) to replace your kit lens, keep the 50, and spend the rest of your budget on the best telephoto you can talk yourself into. The very well regarded 70-200 F/4L is $700. They are both available used for less than that as well.

That also frees up the option of selling the XTi with the kit lenses down the road to pay for a slightly newer semi-pro body like the 40D or 50D.

I remember when I eventually bought some decent glass for my four-year-old Pentax DSLR; the difference is remarkable. Nice thing about lenses is they don't really depreciate much - I've bought some used, sold them for what I paid, and tried a different focal length. Going to do it again, actually, swapping a 35mm prime for a 70mm macro. Trying to figure out how few lenses I can keep in my bag and get all the shots I want.
+1 again... give up the kit lens.

How about putting some money towards some useful post processing tools, like noise ninja...eeks out a bit more range, when you have to push your ISO envelope.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer

So, lots of people saying to skip the body for now and go with the lenses, then upgrade the body at a later date and already have nice lenses for it. You people and your rational thought
Old 04-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #11
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
So, lots of people saying to skip the body for now and go with the lenses, then upgrade the body at a later date and already have nice lenses for it. You people and your rational thought
Alright then try this.....screw Canon and buy a Nikon D7000. Better AF, better low light performance, much better feeling/more solid body, and just general kick ass-ness.

Or....buy a D700 used with the D800 coming out now D700 prices might be dropping into your range.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer

Sounds good, but not enough monies
Old 04-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #13
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Sounds good, but not enough monies
Add 350-400 to your current budget if you went Nikon, that XTi kit would make a good starter kit for someone. Just think about 51 point AF system and a very usable ISO 6400....hell 12,800 is good in the right conditions.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #14
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,069
Also, if a guy is inclined toward a smaller, more compact, setup, consider the Micro 4/3 format. They've come out with some decent low-light primes and I think there are a couple of faster kit/zoom lenses in the pipeline. I like the Panasonic GH2, but the new Olympus OM-D sounds really interesting as well. Get a body (skip the kit lens) and a couple of decent prime lenses and you're good to go. I like the Oly 45/f1.8, and the Oly 12/f2.0 although that latter lens is a bit expensive right now.....will probably come down.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #15
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Also, if a guy is inclined toward a smaller, more compact, setup, consider the Micro 4/3 format. They've come out with some decent low-light primes and I think there are a couple of faster kit/zoom lenses in the pipeline. I like the Panasonic GH2, but the new Olympus OM-D sounds really interesting as well. Get a body (skip the kit lens) and a couple of decent prime lenses and you're good to go. I like the Oly 45/f1.8, and the Oly 12/f2.0 although that latter lens is a bit expensive right now.....will probably come down.
My only concern with pushing him in that direction would be for sports. How does the continuous AF perform on the newer ones?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: