ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer
 
RxZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Add 350-400 to your current budget if you went Nikon, that XTi kit would make a good starter kit for someone. Just think about 51 point AF system and a very usable ISO 6400....hell 12,800 is good in the right conditions.
Yeah, I saw those numbers on B&H's website. Useable 6400 ISO blows my mind! The XTi goes up to 1600, and I almost never use that because it typically looks so bad. Again, being that the majority of my pictures seem to be spontaneous indoor pictures, good low light performance is something I am looking for. Since all I have right now are kit lenses for the XTi, I do not mind going Nikon if need be. I do not have a huge investment in Canon products. My mom does want to buy the XTi from me though if I get a new body.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #17
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 9,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
My only concern with pushing him in that direction would be for sports. How does the continuous AF perform on the newer ones?
That's true. I don't find the continuous AF to be all that great on my GH2. I have not read a comprehensive review of the OM-D yet, it's quite new. I think that dpreview was supposed to have one out this week, but haven't looked at it yet.
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #18
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer
 
Grainbelt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Minnyhappiness
Oddometer: 26,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
My only concern with pushing him in that direction would be for sports.
speaking of which, is there a decent fast telephoto for Nikon that isn't 2 grand, on top of the camera?
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #19
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 37,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
speaking of which, is there a decent fast telephoto for Nikon that isn't 2 grand, on top of the camera?
Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS, it's 1,300 now.

Also you could probably grab a non OS version for ~500 used.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #20
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 37,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Yeah, I saw those numbers on B&H's website. Useable 6400 ISO blows my mind! The XTi goes up to 1600, and I almost never use that because it typically looks so bad. Again, being that the majority of my pictures seem to be spontaneous indoor pictures, good low light performance is something I am looking for. Since all I have right now are kit lenses for the XTi, I do not mind going Nikon if need be. I do not have a huge investment in Canon products. My mom does want to buy the XTi from me though if I get a new body.
Right now all you have holding you to Canon really is the 50 1.8 which is a 100 dollar lens so if you're going to make the leap now is the time.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #21
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer
 
RxZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Right now all you have holding you to Canon really is the 50 1.8 which is a 100 dollar lens so if you're going to make the leap now is the time.
Kinda what I was thinking. I have no brand loyalty to either company, so it doesn't really matter to me. Does Nikon have a good body that comes with a decent lens for around my 1500 limit? Or should I honestly get better glass for my XTi for now (which I admit would help) and then whenever Canon's next round of new bodies come out go with a new one then? And like mentioned before, that way I would have a really good lens or two to use with a really good body.

Just thinking out loud. 1500 is a lot to spend, so I want to make sure I head the right direction (realizing also I will never make a dime off of this, photography is a hobby only and mostly to just document our lives as best I can in still pictures).
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #22
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer
 
Grainbelt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Minnyhappiness
Oddometer: 26,780
When you say sports, do you mean soccer, baseball, football - or basketball, hockey, and volleyball?

The first three require length but daylight means you can sacrifice some speed. Indoor sports tend to need less length but more speed via wider apertures (primes at F/2 or zooms at F/2.8) or a body that can touch higher ISO cleanly. Indoor sports is also really hard on AF, and a new body might help there.

If you like the body, the output is getting you plenty of pixels to work with, I'd just get some lenses for now. Knowing that you have a willing buyer for the XTi means you can plan on selling some stuff to her and buying a newer (not necessarily new, unless you want to) body.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #23
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 37,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Kinda what I was thinking. I have no brand loyalty to either company, so it doesn't really matter to me. Does Nikon have a good body that comes with a decent lens for around my 1500 limit? Or should I honestly get better glass for my XTi for now (which I admit would help) and then whenever Canon's next round of new bodies come out go with a new one then? And like mentioned before, that way I would have a really good lens or two to use with a really good body.

Just thinking out loud. 1500 is a lot to spend, so I want to make sure I head the right direction (realizing also I will never make a dime off of this, photography is a hobby only and mostly to just document our lives as best I can in still pictures).
Honestly its a toss up since both companies are playing around with their ranges...if you asked 2 years a go this would have been a lot easier.

Nikon had the D90 and D300.....but then made the D7000 which is in the middle of them in build quality and AF performance.

Canon had the 50D as the top of the line but now the 60D is cheaper construction moving it closer to the D90 but they also made the 7D.

How important is this hobby to you? Are you planning to make the jump to full frame eventually? If so I'd do it sooner than later so you can buy lenses that will stay compatible over the long haul. And if that's the case then its a no brainer since the D700 offers the low light/AF you want and the 5D mkII's AF just sucks.

With crop cameras:

A D300 could be a big jump for you given that you get a legit pro AF system for ~1000 dollars. The D7000 used isn't much more and you get a better sensor but the AF isn't to the same level.

You could also go the 7D route with Canon but that's more money and the AF is good but not as good as the D300's.

I know I'm not making this easier
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #24
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer
 
ysr612's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Beaumont, texas
Oddometer: 9,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Low light and sports are all about the glass, not the body (AF for sports a minor exception)

What do you currently have for lenses? Depending on what you have, $1500 wisely spent on lenses will have a far greater impact than a new body, IMO.
I sort of like to have ISO number that are way up there with little noise. I also like to be able to shoot faster then 3 frames/sec for more then 30 or 40 frames. I mostly manual focus in sports.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #25
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!
 
RocketJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Denver Metro
Oddometer: 11,316
NikonVstrom turned me on to the Nikon D5100... I haven't pulled the trigger just yet, but its effectively a D7000 with few less features in a more consumer/lighter body for half the price... $500 for a refurb body and a few lenses and you'll meet your budget over just over a $1k...
RocketJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #26
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step
 
FLYING EYEBALL's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: southeast of seattle
Oddometer: 10,401
to the OP

With what you currently own I don't think it keeps you locked in with Canon.

It's all beginner type gear that will be easy to sell. Sell it and add to your $1500 stash.

That being said, I'm a Nikon shooter and buy all my Gear used.

A used D90 or 300 would be a great step up for you.

I've had great luck buying over on fred miranda buy & sell.

used prices



D90 5-600
D300 800 or so < what I would do
D7000 900 or so

Tamron 17-50 300
Sigma 17-50 400 or so
Sigma 50-150 375
Sigma 70-200 2.8 650-750
Nikon 80-200 AF-D 2 ring 650-750
"" AF-S 1000
Nikon 70-200 1400

SB-600 Flash 175 or so

good luck!
__________________
if you keep poor...the struggle is simple

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #27
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer
 
RxZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Oddometer: 1,819
I forgot all about Fred Miranda, I think I even signed up over there a few years ago! I think I will be heading over that way soon...

Thanks FE! I haven't kept up with your old thread, but how have you been doing lately? Recovery coming along as planned?

(Forgive me if that last bit has all been answered elsewhere, just point me the right direction)
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #28
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 4,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post

How important is this hobby to you? Are you planning to make the jump to full frame eventually? If so I'd do it sooner than later so you can buy lenses that will stay compatible over the long haul. And if that's the case then its a no brainer since the D700 offers the low light/AF you want and the 5D mkII's AF just sucks.
Good question. Generally, imo, the large majority of casual dslr users who's done the numbers on the jump to full frame pine away at the idea for a decade before giving up the idea (me!), instead of finally ponying up the $$$$ to actually do it. And of those I know who actually did get the full frame body who then pony up the scratch to mount a lens worth putting on that body...I only know two...and they're both doctors.

Personally, I'm having a hard time not pulling the trigger on the new kid on the block-- the OM-D...god damn that's a nice option. While the cost is right up there with a used full frame, the number of "hits" this system would get me I think would greatly outweigh the number I'd get from a dslr for no better reason than the fact that I'd actually have it with me, and it wouldn't get in the way most of the time. Whereas when you've got a full frame body in your hands...you're really not doing anything else. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I've got kids to shoot too (photographically speaking), so I'm also holding out for better continuous auto focusing.

WRT the gains one can achieve in going with the D700...it might be worth the effort to rent a rig for a weekend in which you *know* you'll be shooting some good C-AF tracking shots. Shoot 100 shots with *both* the D700, & your XTI in conditions that fall within your XTi's operating envelope (in otherwords, don't introduce testing parameters that you *know* will favor the D700) and see how many keepers you get from both systems. Make sure you run through the Nikon controls before heading out.

DriveShaft screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 08:06 AM
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #29
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 9,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post

Personally, I'm having a hard time not pulling the trigger on the new kid on the block-- the OM-D...god damn that's a nice option. While the cost is right up there with a used full frame, the number of "hits" this system would get me I think would greatly outweigh the number I'd get from a dslr for no better reason than the fact that I'd actually have it with me, and it wouldn't get in the way most of the time. Whereas when you've got a full frame body in your hands...you're really not doing anything else. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I've got kids to shoot too (photographically speaking), so I'm also holding out for better continuous auto focusing.
I have the Panasonic GH2 and am tempted to get an OM-D for a second body. But.....I agree, that the C-AF aspect is troublesome. I had an earlier Oly m4/3 camera, the E-P2, and loved the JPEGs it produced, but the lack of an integrated EVF and the fact that the plug-in one was not secure, meaning it could (and, in my case, was) be lost easily, necessitating a $300 replacement part, made me want to pull my hair out. I ended up giving it to my son and daughter-in-law when my granddaughter was born, and they've made good use of it. The OM-D definitely looks like a significant improvement, but it has a way to go yet....

I am thinking that, one of these days, Panasonic will come out with a GH3, and I'll be looking closely at that. I'm fully committed to the m4/3 format. I did toy with the idea of going full-frame, but I'm not THAT serious!
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #30
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher
 
Rectaltronics's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: New York F'ing City
Oddometer: 9,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Low light and sports are all about the glass, not the body (AF for sports a minor exception)
Some of the newer, better DSLR cameras perform with much better noise levels with less loss of clarity at higher ISO settings. So yeah, it can be about the body too.
__________________
New Yorkers: Join the NYMSTF now for a motorcycle -friendly NY!
Rectaltronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014