User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
Jungle Man OP
frenzied adventurer

Oddometer: 364
WR250X Fly and Ride.

I sold my old bikes and have decided I would like to end up with a wr250r or x but I am trying to be patient when my dad say's "hey, have you seen this one?" It's an all stock 2008 wr250x with 1400 miles, for $3500, and located in Montrose Colorado. I want it! I contact the owner and explain that I could fly down and pick it up. He agrees and say's he will hold the bike for me.

Here's the plan:
Dad hooks me up with a guest pass to fly to Denver and it costs me $62
I try hitch hiking for the first time all the way from DIA to Grand Junction where Jarred, (the owner) will meet me.
I buy the bike and ride it home.

Day one:
I packed the night before and go carry-on only because I do not want to risk checked luggage as a stand-by passenger. I wake up at 3 a.m. and my father drives me to the airport before work at 4:30
I make it on both of my flights, one from Portland to Seattle and the other from Seattle to Denver. The guys I sat next to on each flight were pretty cool, the first flight we talked about living and fishing in Minnesota, and the second flight we talked about living and fishing in Anchorage. It was awesome!
Denver is sunny and warm! When I arrived I checked out rental car and buss options and decided I'd stick with the economical option. I find my way outside and immediately second guess my plan. I walk through the parking lot and ask a stranger to help me get my bearings. He explains that it's about 10 miles just to get out of the airport! I offered him gas money to drive me out of the airport but he's in a company rig and say's he cannot. I tell him no worries and hop the parking lot fence with my thumb out. After a couple minutes I get picked up by the guy I just talked to. He lives on the outskirts of Denver and drops my off at a park and ride near an on ramp to I 70. Great guy!
I hitch the on-ramp because it's illegal on the interstate. The traffic is really slow and after 20 minutes I am questioning my plan again, but, a mid 90's Camaro with, crazy bass music blaring, stops and let's me in. It's a guy about my age (22), heading about ten miles down the road. I hop in and notice a heaping pile of cigarettes. The first thing he say's to me is "happy 420 man. You got any bud?" Then I realized, it's April 20th and fear there may be a trend. I explain that I came from the airport and didn't have any (not that I would have any normally, I just wanted to let him down easy). He talks kind of slow but drives well, I ride alert just in case and was glad it was a short ride. I get dropped off near the edge of the town of Evergreen.
I walk to the on ramp where traffic is minimal but after only 2 minutes I am picked up. It's Kent. Kent is a man who just got to Denver and rented a toyota yaris to drive all the way to Montrose to visit a friend. Holly cow am I lucky. That is even better because it's the real location of the bike. I call Jared and let him know I am on my way directly.Hey that's me. Thanks Kent.
The drive there was very scenic, but there were a lot of bugs.

This wind shield was spotless when I got in, but after only 15 minutes, this is what it looked like.

Kent is a rock climber, mountain biker, outdoor enthusiast with a ton of interesting stories. He is 50 years old and spending several days doing some serious climbing. He also just got gs650f. The 4 and a half hour drive goes very quickly. I offered him gas but he only accepted $20. The yaris is pretty efficient and ergonomic but lacks some power.

I get dropped off at the Montrose airport and wait for Jared to pick me up.
This was at the Montrose airport.

"If you're too busy to hunt and fish, you're too busy"
Jase-Duck Dynasty

Jungle Man screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 08:25 PM
Jungle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Jungle Man OP
frenzied adventurer

The sale

I get picked up by Jarred and we go to his awesome house about ten minutes away. The bike looks great and I hand over the money and take care of the bill of sale. When I ask for the title he looks at me puzzled. Oh, Crap I thought, I never even asked if it had one. He bought the bike at a dealer auction because it was going out of business. He never even pick up the paper work. When I told him what I needed to do to get it licensed, he gave me some inspection fee money to hold on to. He said maybe the company that bought the other dealer might still have the title. That night I got a gas can, bungee cords, a $5 knife, and a lighter from a nearby walmart, and slept in Jared's RV.
The next morning, I ate pancakes that his lovely wife made. Jared was a good person with a nice family and lot's of motorsport toys. He was planning on heading into Grand Junction (about 70 miles away) to look at cruiser bikes with his pals that morning, so I just followed him into town on my new 250 and we got to the new dealer which had the title sitting on a shelf in an office Jarred said he would transfer it into his name and mail it to me. So I handed the inspection cash back, and headed out.
Here's the new bike and some of my famous "casual packing." Jared gave me the
ratchet straps. This is at Jarred's house; notice his fantastic garage. His son was about 11 and a way better rider than I.

Jase-Duck Dynasty

Jungle Man screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 08:28 PM
Old 04-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,803
In!!
I love my X, I'm sure you'll love yours.
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Jungle Man OP
frenzied adventurer

Day 2 after the sale.

I head out of Grand Junction and towards Moab. I am already impressed with the cruising capability of this bike. The speed limits were 75mph sometimes and it had no trouble. I love 6 gears. I drove interstate a lot but took a not as common route to Moab that was way better.
This was a large majority of the dirt that this bike had seen so far.

On the way to Moab I detoured about 20 miles to a dead end. It was mostly paved but sandy towards the end. Slick tires are slippery.
This is where the road ended, It was the Colorado river.

I stopped here to empty my 1 gallon tank. Fill ups were quite often with only a two gallon fuel capacity.
This was all new to me cause I have never been to Utah. I rode in a t-shirt. I love the sun.

Yes, I did take a picture of my mirror, more for the fact that I was excited to have mirrors that weren't busted.
The bottom pic was someones house or some new, old-looking building in the desert.

Jase-Duck Dynasty

Jungle Man screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 02:45 PM
Old 04-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Jungle Man OP
frenzied adventurer

day 2 continued

I arrived in the town of Moab at around 3:30 and took a break at a trail head parking lot. I talked to a couple mountain bikers that were chilling in the shade and they filled me in on the area. I ate some fast food, (one of many junk food meals to come,) and rode to Arches National park. I got to the entrance window and the guy handed me a pass and said, " it's free national park week" Score! I rode up and began being a tourist.
I took a lot of pictures of rocks so be warned, you may see a few.

I hiked about half of the main trails that evening at a good pace cause I wanted to see as much as possible.

I was wearing some shoes that gripped this rock like crazy so I climbed up quite a few things.

I saw a ton of lizards

Here's the shoes.

Jase-Duck Dynasty

Jungle Man screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 03:41 PM
Old 04-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
Proud Highway
one hand waving free

Oddometer: 86
Good to see you made it past the hitchhiking phase with your behymen intact.

Proud Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
Jungle Man OP
frenzied adventurer

day 2 continued

This group looked like they knew what they were doing so I attempted to copy them. Turns out they did know what they were doing and it involved a ton of tech know-how that was beyond me.

Below is what I ended up with:

I didn't feel like taking a million photos and stitching them together.
At sundown I explored places in Arches to camp because the campground was full. I ended up leaving and camping at some recreational site very close to Moab.
I ended up here. There were a ton of people but It was easy to get an open spot. I made a tent out of some sticks and a sweater for my head, it worked well. There were some charred logs in the fire ring so I had a nice little fire as well.

Jase-Duck Dynasty

Jungle Man screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 08:34 PM
Old 04-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
Jungle Man OP
frenzied adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Highway View Post
Good to see you made it past the hitchhiking phase with your behymen intact.
Haha, I had a bunch of cash on me and I strapped it to my ancle just in case I got mugged, I could still buy the bike. I also had $100 in the sole of my shoe.
Jase-Duck Dynasty
Old 04-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
Jungle Man OP
frenzied adventurer

Day 3

I went back to arAches to finish it off.
I hiked the last trail in arches and I took the "unimproved route." I ended up somewhere with no trail and had to do a little climbing to get back to where I saw people. I was way down at the bottom and I could see people walking above. I used a climbing technique I saw on t.v. where you stick your hand in a crack and expand it for grip. It worked well and was kinda fun. (I'm definitely not a climber)

These were the last two main attractions.

A nice lady took this for me and emailed it to me.

Content with finishing all or most of Arches, I left for Salt Lake City to visit a friend from college who I haven't seen in over 3 years.

This is for Ladybug.

Jase-Duck Dynasty

Jungle Man screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 10:19 PM
Old 04-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 211
Great story, very clean looking bike. I flew to Grand Junction and bought a cruiser last July, similar in that the bike was better than advertised and the owner was a first class guy as well. I was a bit concerned heading offf on a 1700 mile trip without a license plate on the bike as well but didn't get pulled over and had a memorable ride.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the story, those bikes appeal to me. I'm curious what sort of mileage you got also I'm about 205 lbs. plus clothes and gear, do you think it would be workable for someone my size? Thanks Denny
mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #11
Jungle Man OP
frenzied adventurer

SLC Utah day 3 and 4

I arrived at my friend's house in Farmington, just north of Salt Lake City at around 6:45 a.m. I used the last of my cell phone battery to navigate to his door.

Man this guy can strike a pose.
This is Matt in his back yard. He did his mission (Mormon) for two years in Argentina. He's crazy athletic and runs 15 miles of terrain a day, and quickly. He had a bunch of good stories and is finishing school at byu. His parents and brothers were very nice and hospitable. I did my laundry at his place, ate some left over cube steak, and got a really comfy couch and clean sheets to sleep on.
The next morning I rode to school with Matt and killed some time while he finished one class and skipped the other. He drove me around the city and showed me the coolest places. This is temple square. It took 40 years to build and is made from hand carved blocks of granite. It was pretty impressive. There was boat loads of symbolism; it reminded me of one of those I-SPY books.
We ate at Hires Big H Burgers. They have excellent fries and fry sauce!
Afterwards we relaxed at his place and then I headed out.

Jase-Duck Dynasty

Jungle Man screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 10:43 PM
Old 04-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
Jungle Man OP
frenzied adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookybird View Post
Great story, very clean looking bike. I flew to Grand Junction and bought a cruiser last July, similar in that the bike was better than advertised and the owner was a first class guy as well. I was a bit concerned heading offf on a 1700 mile trip without a license plate on the bike as well but didn't get pulled over and had a memorable ride.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the story, those bikes appeal to me. I'm curious what sort of mileage you got also I'm about 205 lbs. plus clothes and gear, do you think it would be workable for someone my size? Thanks Denny
I did get pulled over, and in Washington. It would certainly work for you. I think the weight limit including a passenger is like 415 lbs. It's a stout little 250 that seems well thought out, It's also a little heavy for a 250 (292 lbs wet)but it was impressive keeping in mind it was a 250, plus some weight is in things to make it stout. On the flat with no headwind I could cruise at 80 no problem wearing a big resistant jacket. I'm 185 and 6,1 and I know a couple of others who are pleased with them. Oh and mileage I got around 60-65 except towards the end but I'll get to that.
Jase-Duck Dynasty

Jungle Man screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 08:37 PM
Old 04-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
Jungle Man OP
frenzied adventurer

Day 4 after SLC

Oh, before I forget, this was on the way from CO to Utah
http://advrider.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=18559017 I stopped at this gas station and relaxed for a few minutes inside, but I had to get this in as a pic.

Ok, so I left my friends around 3 and hopped into Wyoming, a new-to-me state. This is my first impression.

The weather was decent and I saw a ton of antelope, none of them were close long enough for a photo though.
I don't know why, but I went down this road, It was gated after about 10 miles.

It was getting fairly dark so I told myself to stop at the next decent spot. I was looking for somewhere a little sheltered because it was windy and getting cloudy. I saw a little building near the road and went to check it out
It was a bathroom next to an awesome campground near a reservoir. Man I lucked out with this spot. It had a boat launch and a picnic area which I slept under. The lake bed was dried up a fair amount and I had a blast riding in it.
It was such weird dirt that changed in areas. At one spot the bike wobbled around like a snake just because I guess. I was mesmerized by it. It was getting dark so I posted up.
Matt's mom made waffles while we were in town so I grabbed some of the extras and threw them in a bag. The next morning I used the campsite grill to toast them up.
Then I played in the dirt some more.
I packed up and before I left I checked out the campground a little more.
These were called comfort stations. There were about 50 of them. It was my favorite spot to camp on the trip.

Jase-Duck Dynasty

Jungle Man screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 10:44 PM
Old 04-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
Superhawk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Superhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
Jungle Man OP
frenzied adventurer

Day 5.

I rode and rode and was bored but impressed with the wr. My destination was yellowstone. On the way I stopped in La Pine to get some chain lube at a NAPA and a guy working there named Darren came out to check out my bike. He told me that their recreation is mostly hunting, dirt biking, snowmobiling, and drinking. It sounded fantastic! He also said he's woken up to have it be -60 degrees F outside. I wonder sometimes why I stick around Washington, maybe it's the parents I sponge off of, or maybe I just like it.
I did mostly interstate but had to make it look like I played in the dirt.
This was a pretty area.
I stopped in Jackson and found out the south entrance to Yellowstone was closed but I rode to the entrance anyways just because. These are the Teton mountains I believe.
This is my favorite photo from the trip. Jackson Lake

Jase-Duck Dynasty

Jungle Man screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 08:23 PM