User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #31
BOB RAMSAY OP
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 290
Is that chain too tight?

[QUOTE=BOB RAMSAY;18563104]I have a '06 950. 19k miles and the sprockets look fine - so far.

I'm just curious how many miles some of you inmates are getting on their sprockets.

By reading the preceding comments (lube - no lube - gear oil, etc.) I don't see anyone getting 20k or more miles - I'm a 19k and the whole package looks great - dirty perhaps, but far from being worn out.

Which opens the other can of worms in this equation but not mentioned -
an improperly adjusted chain will wear out the whole kit.
I've always ascribed to: looser is perhaps a better position than a chain adjusted to tightly.

What say guys?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #32
Balsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
[QUOTE=BOB RAMSAY;18577532]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post
Which opens the other can of worms in this equation but not mentioned -
Quote:
an improperly adjusted chain will wear out the whole kit.
I've always ascribed to: looser is perhaps a better position than a chain adjusted to tightly.
YES! Tight chain ruins it since it gets even tighter when shock is compressed. On the "how to tell when its time for replacing", a worn out chain loosens much faster after adjusting than a fresh does. So I simply replace the chain when adjusting the chain becomes tiring frequent, and this is not a linear gradual aging process. It appears quite fast after some 40000 kms (25 kmiles) in my case. I also change front sprocket about 3 times more often than the chain and the rear sprocket. 1) By never tightening the chain inadequately and 2) replacing the front sprocket quite frequently and 3) use high quality chains I've got about double lifelength, from 20 to 40 kkms.

Balsta screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 04:51 PM
Balsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:24 AM   #33
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,330
I need to do some back peddling. I’ve always changed all three together, since they wear simultaneously. If the chain is warn putting a new sprocket with that chain wears the sprocket out faster and vice versa. I measured the DID chain at 15k miles and it’s still in spec, the rear sprocket has very little wear....I should have flipped the front at 7k miles... Point is these x ring chains don’t half last; I would expect a normal chain to be shot at 20k miles max, so my thinking now is in tune with others, measure chain and change the front sprocket when needed.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #34
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Here is a slightly off topic question; has anyone had a catastrophic chain failure on a 990 with a reasonably new (<10,000km) chain. Just wondering how important it is to carry a spare chain or links. I guess the older the chain the higher the chance of failure.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:39 AM   #35
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,330
I’d say if you’re travelling in remote areas a few spare links and tool is advisable, never bust a 525 chain myself. As for wear, measure the chain, if in spec I wouldn’t worry, inspect for play, missing x/o rings and rollers. I am impressed with the OEM DID x ring chains, amazing longevity.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #36
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,152
[QUOTE=Balsta;18581064]
Quote:
On the "how to tell when its time for replacing", a worn out chain loosens much faster after adjusting than a fresh does. So I simply replace the chain when adjusting the chain becomes tiring frequent, and this is not a linear gradual aging process. It appears quite fast after some 40000 kms (25 kmiles) in my case. .....
This ^^^^ I've noticed at about 15k miles the last two chains.
The chain starts to make noise about this time, and lube quiets it down at this age.
Otherwise, no lube for the first 10-15k for me, either.

The sprockets have just barely got a bit of a turn at the tip at about 15k.
Front/rear seems to wear evenly for me, KTM stock-type 16/45

I've pushed them both to 18k, and then both sprockets and chain are done.
The regular adjusting and crunching noise tells me when I'm beginning to push my luck.
It's well past time right now. I'm at 37k
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #37
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
I’d say if you’re travelling in remote areas a few spare links and tool is advisable, never bust a 525 chain myself. As for wear, measure the chain, if in spec I wouldn’t worry, inspect for play, missing x/o rings and rollers. I am impressed with the OEM DID x ring chains, amazing longevity.
I broke a 525 Regina on a rocky 2 track in Mexico about 4 years ago, with less than 3000 miles on it, and I was not running it too tight. Maybe just a bad link. Of course, since I had a fairly new chain I figured that I wouldnt need links or a chain tool. Had to get a 530 (which thankfully just barely cleared the clutch slave) shipped out of Guadalajara as I couldnt find a 525. The end result was that it cost me $180 USD, two nights in a hotel, and a $200 bar tab.

After that experience I have always carried a chain tool, links and masters and of course have not had any chain problems in the last 55,000 miles.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote