Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
jgrady1982 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
My Stihl 028AV Wood Boss Chainsaw Rebuild

Hello,

I picked up this saw about a week ago in non-running condition. A week ago I started to tear it apart and see why. This is my third Stihl, I also have a MS250, and then a 009L that I bought off of craigslist last year for $50.

I removed the side bar cover and took off the plastic cover that covers the drive assembly. I was able to remove the drive sprocket and then I stopped when I got to the clutch. I stopped here becuase the crankshaft that it is attached to will moved up and down when I move it with my hand.

I have to try and remove the clutch and then the flywheel later this week. So once I get those guys off it should make the diagnosis much easier.

Here are the pics: The sharpener stand I made last weekend out of 1/8" steel plate and my Miller Mig 130...set all the way up! There are two bolts with wing nuts that bolt this to my bench, I did not want to sit while I gring my chains, so I made this guy to get them up near my eye level. I used glossy black rust-o-leum paint over a coat of primer. There are 4 triangle braces on the bottom and then one of the backside of the grinder on the top.

I am draining the bar oil into my oil catch pan overnight

So I made a bunch of progress on this rebuild today. I completely disassembled the saw yesterday and then cleaned it all up in the parts washer today. I made the case splitter from a piece of 1.5" angle iron that I cut to 6 inches long. I then drilled three 0.5" holes in the center of the iron using my dial calipers to "find" the two bar mounting studs and then the crankshaft. It worked great. I was a little off, maybe a 100 'thou, so I will probably open those holes up to about 50 thou over a half an inch, once I get a bigger drill bit. But with a little help of some fender washers I was able to "overcome" my measuring mistake and get the cases apart. The tool worked great, I am going to sand it and paint it tomorrow and keep that in my box for future use...hopefully!

I got all the parts cleaned up in my parts washer and then took all the plastic and also the bar holder and washed them in the dishwaser tonight. That thing did an amazing job at cleaning up all the plastic. Wow!

The culprit for this saw being on the fritz is a bad crank bearing that let loose on the flywheel side of the crankshaft. The bearing let out and then a small strip of metal on the flywheel side engine case was chipped off. Also it looks like the flywheel may have scrapped the coil, but the damage looks minimal at best. I broke the clutch shoe holder as well as the small key that locates the flywheel to the crankshaft when I was taking this thing apart.

Also it appears as though the crankshaft scrapped the inside of the flywheel side case as evidenced by the large gouge on the counter weight on the side of the crankshaft.

There is no up and down play on the connecting rod, and the piston and cylinder look like the bearing went at the beginning of this saws life. There are not gouges or scratches on the cylinder and the piston has no carbon build up on the dome or anywhere else. Pretty clean top end.

I am going to order a new side case, woodruff key and crankshaft, as well as piston rings and a hone to hone up the cylinder. What do you all think about the piston? Clean it up and re-ring it, or get a new one?

Here are the pics:

Case splitter tool...

Flywheel side case

Messy bench!

Crank gouge

Clutch side case, all cleaned up

Ready to go
jgrady1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,510
Help me with the economics here. Or is this just for fun? I have a newer version of the same saw that I paid about $350 brand new about 3 years ago on sale. The one you have looks like it is well used.

How much did you pay for the used saw?

How much will is cost in parts and such to fix it?

How many hours to get it working?

What if you can't make it work w/o exceeding the cost of a good used saw? I can buy good used versions of this saw for $150-250 at the most where I live.

Will you keep it to use or sell it to make money?

This is the first chainsaw thread I've seen here. I always wanted to know what they looked like inside the case.

Tom

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 12:27 PM
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,047
Very very very interesting. I have a 034 AV here where the effing PO butchered the base gasket when he "reconditioned" it. Of course it was split and...well piston/cylinder sure don't look too good now. Wanna see???? Yours looks pretty good compared to mine.

Then he tried to blame me for not mixing gas properly or Ahum....overworking that saw. I did buy a MS390, it is OK but I should rebuild that Pro saw, enough big trees around here to play with it.

Serves me anyway,I should have known better but if I ever buy another used saw, I'll take the muffler off first and look inside.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,955
I have a good friend that is a logger.He knows saws and I have helped him building them a few times. It is a hard life but you can make $1500.00 a week if you are good. I did it for a while and will say I will not. . The TV shows you see are stupid though.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,114
I have a 039 that I got for free. it was used twice before I got it. the owner let his friend barrow it and he didn't mix the gas at all. I put a new cylinder and piston on it new bar and chain because the shop that i got to from had started robing parts from it. I think I have around 100 bucks in that saw. But to pay a shop to do the same work wouldn not ahve been worth it. that's why i got it free and did the work my self. But this would be more then I would touch. I'm also interested in the over all price of this fix.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Me too...the cost thing. Looks like mine may just also have a bad connecting rod bearing from all the piston/cylinder metal going in there. Not something you can DIY on the bench unless you know someone. I do but he is a long way away. Quite a few cheap(er) parts advertised here and there on the net, most without the "Stihl" brand name on them.

Yeah....how to turn a $50.00 saw into a $300.00 one.In my case would be $500.00. Too bad the OP isn't closer, looks like I may have most of the parts he needs. 028-34-39 if I remember do share a lot of parts. Great saws however.....when they run well.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
jgrady1982 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Economics...

I paid $125 for the saw shipped to my house

I need about $100 in parts, +/- 25 in misc. parts so say...$250 when it is all said and done.

However, I get to learn how to take apart a chainsaw and basically rebuild it from the ground up, which to me, is why I bought this thing in the first place. Plus when I am done I have now a third, running, practically brand new Stihl chainsaw. Also from what I have read, the 028AV wood boss is a great saw that should last forever...if taken care of properly.

I am not planning on selling this saw when it is done. I wanted to rebuild this to learn something. I have a MS250 and an 009L, so this would make my third saw, and to me when you are cutting wood in the middle of nowhere it never hurts to have 1 or two or three back-up saws in case something breaks. You never know.

Plus this is fun...

H96669, what kind of parts do you have? Do you take paypal????

Thanks for the replies,
Jack
jgrady1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,216
I have the exact same saw; one of several Stihl saws.
The 028 AV is a MACHINE! It is a bad ass saw and is probably better than a new Stihl!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrady1982 View Post
H96669, what kind of parts do you have? Do you take paypal????

Thanks for the replies,
Jack
Complete 034AV minus the bad piston/cylinder. Possibly crank bearing shot but that I don't know, I haven't split it ,went out and bought a brand new saw. Everything else fine, even has a new air filter and rebuild carb.

I'll dig it up tomorrow and take pics.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
rawdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Cool thread
rawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
vanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
looks like a cool project.

too close to home for me since i work in the parts dept a JD/Exmark/Stihl dealer.
66 Honda s90
03 Suzuki ltz400
vanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #12
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

That's what I have....I guess you can have it if you want, cheap...! May not be so cheap shipping from Canada. Been sitting there for a couple years and I do have other saws, I don't feel like dumping a couple hundreds into that one. I think the cases/electronics and everything else is the same as the 028 but not searching that today.

I think that's what you need???

Baaaad piston/cylinder:

Which makes me a little worried about the conrod bearing if the crap got in it, seems OK but ????? Note the broken base gasket.....effing PO. Now why did it burnout again?

Rebuilt carb & new air filter:

Slight crack at the handle, easy fix that:

Sent me a PM if interested...in the meantime will be outside running the MS390.Need a big saw here so I can bury them 24" bars into the piles of 4'. Them MSs, could use a little more HPs and some weight/vibrations losses. Glad I don't use them for a living.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #13
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,100
Howdy All,

I have been thinking about picking up one of those Harbor Freight, electric chain saw sharpener things that mount on a bench; does anyone have one, or one like it, do they work, I am tired of filing.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,777
I like fixing stuff as much as the next guy (usually more) but why dump so many hours and so much $$ into a saw that you could replace for less than you'll have into it when it's done?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #15
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
I like fixing stuff as much as the next guy (usually more) but why dump so many hours and so much $$ into a saw that you could replace for less than you'll have into it when it's done?
If you ask any tree surgeon or just hobbyist, most have an affinity towards stihl. Its like a cult thing, and compared to many other saws they are superior machines!

Like the sidi of chainsaws.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: