Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #16
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,270
Are you going to keep the stock swingarm or go longer?

There's a wrecked m900 monster in OK clist right now that is just begging to be scooped up...bad sailah, BAD BAD do NOT THINK THOSE THOUGHTS...

Someone buy it before I look how far OK is from Pittsburgh...

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #17
Wadester OP
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Are you going to keep the stock swingarm or go longer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
Lot's of clearance at the front - not.

That was with the adjuster almost to the front, but still. A swingarm stretch is needed for clearance, even if I didn't want to balance the front extension.
There's your answer. I've found a couple of 695 swingarms cheap on Ebay ($42 shipped for one of them!) and will be making one out of the two. I need a minimum of 2" for tire clearance, but it looks like this approach would allow up to 5". I'll make my decision based on overall balance of the chassis.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #18
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,270
I'm very interested in the swingarm and how you decide to section it up for extension.

I tried this on a cbr swingarm but never installed it in favor of a ktm unit that was set up for the pds system and shock already. Since the ducati needs to mount outboard of the motor the ktm swingarm wont fit.

I've been looking for monsters to do the same project, the 695 looks like a great candidate with quite a bit of power from a air cooled engine and 370#

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #19
desmo916sp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Another Look at a similar build

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428685

OldDog did this build a few years ago and ended up selling off the bike .... and just baught it back ... have been working on a similar bike but used a Elefant frame area for suspension / swingarm support (page 8 )... where do you live..?
desmo916sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #20
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,527
Where are we at with this?

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #21
Wadester OP
Rides a dirty bike

"We" are currently sourcing a new frame to replace the one that was broken by getting "hit&runned" a while back:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804583

It's also still a bit warm to do much out in the shop, temps in the mid 90's up to the 100's. And still recovering from blunt trauma to the shoulders due to the hit.

I'm mostly planning and looking for parts. I've got the XR650R front, but I've been contemplating a KTM/WP front. Need to decide so I can start on wheels. It looks like a KTM type rear wheel is already part of the plan (cush hub is a part of this) but I want to get a matched set - perhaps with color? Red rims, black hubs? Red rims, red hubs? A part of the front decision is single or dual disc. WP forks can go either way, but I've seen some dual disc bikes converted to large rotor single disc - haven't seen a single to dual conversion yet.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Old 08-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #22
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,154
Heya Wad, looks like you're doing a good job there! I see some of the guys have already posted up links to my similar, i hope it helps you with yours! Oh by the way, something to consider instead of welding up an extended swingarm, you could consider using a standard Paso 907 alloy swing arm and mount system. The Paso is longer as you want and has bearings in the end of the swingarm instead of using the bearing in the engine case. Makes for an even more rigid maounting of the swingarm pivot area. If you need any help i'm happy pass on what i've learnt.

As Desmo says i bought the bike back and for a very good reason, this conversion makes a bloody good all round and unique bike with loads of character. You're gonna enjoy this!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #23
Wadester OP
Rides a dirty bike

Thanks for the info! I had already scoped out your build before starting - but didn't recall this trick. I found this pic of ST4 vs Paso 907 swingarms:

Old 08-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #24
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,436
IIRC the swingarms in the Terra Mostros were from the Multistrada but 2x check me.

M
Old 08-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #25
Wadester OP
Rides a dirty bike

First off - some progress!

Unbroken and straight - and Red!

After some checking & thinking - no, the Paso arm looks the same length and would require major suspension mods to the frame. OTOH, the Multistrada 620 has the same suspension hookup - which not only fits the frame, but allows ride height mods w/o messing with the preload (once you get an adjustable tie rod, which I have).

The Multistrada arm does have bearings in the arm vs the Monster with bearing in the engine cases. There are outboard attachment points on the MS frame for the pivot axle - but I don'tthink the axle also passes thru the cases (looking at DucatiOmaha parts catalogs) No bearings listed, and the case doesn't appear to have the thru hole - meaning the arm pivot was behind the cases - longer wheelbase, but not necessarily longer arm. Hmm.
620 MultiStrada:

695 Monster:

Looks like the suspension mounts are further back - and maybe it is longer overall, but the length is all at the front. I'm going to stick with original plan, I think.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #26
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
It's also still a bit warm to do much out in the shop, temps in the mid 90's up to the 100's.
Quit bein' a wuss, Wade! Get out there and wrench and sweat!

Seriously, I hope that you're mending well.

Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #27
HappyRiding
Wandering Moran

Oddometer: 2,941
Old 08-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #28
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRiding View Post
Oh, I can attest; He's got some bones to chew on.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #29
Wadester OP
Rides a dirty bike

Some minor progress:

Next step is to build a cradle to hold the bottom of the motor so I can take the munched front end off! The cradle needs to keep the exhaust, oil filter and drain plug clear while supporting the engine case.
After that, it's time to strip the dead frame off and get the "new" one in place.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #30
Wadester OP
Rides a dirty bike

Got some progress this weekend! I built a wood cradle so I could put a jack under the engine cases, then proceeded to strip off the front end:

The funny part was that not only are the frame and both fork legs bent - so is the front axle:

Got a ways to go before the new frame goes on.