anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #47
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
What devious plans ya got for a bent Duc frame? Or maybe it's "what bits?"
I have been wanting to make a roadrace style street kneeler sidehack that is Ducati powered for some time. A titled frame to cut up and redo would be the perfect start. already have a 900 Monster motor and enough wheels and other bits to add to the project.
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #48
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,424
I keep threatening to build a tubro Hayabusa powered roadracing kneeler if I get too old and rickety to properly terrorize the neighborhood on a normal bike.

I say go for it.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #49
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,735
Have you all seen this?

From here http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf...nd-monster.htm

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #50
Wadester OP
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53 View Post
Hmm. Older style frame with integrated rear section (like the 695 vs the newer 696), which includes the vertical shock with linkage vs inclined w/o links. This is pretty much the TerraMostro, or my intended Dirt Monster.

"Some 230 hours of customization was done to make the 1000cc Monster off-road capable for a customer who is going to race it in the Timbuktu Rally. If you're interested, the motorcycle will cost you 16,000.

So far Ducati have not shown any interest, but that's maybe because they're making their own....we can only wish. "

Thanks for the pic/link! I'll measure their swingarm length vs what I come up with.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #51
1derer
Sh*t Where am I?

Oddometer: 195
always love the dirt monster idea but couldn't ever justify it... Just seems that a manufacture already made a model that also suits about the same weight more power, suspension at a lower cost. Now its discontinued but can still be had for reasonable investment.
1derer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #52
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1derer View Post
always love the dirt monster idea but couldn't ever justify it... Just seems that a manufacture already made a model that also suits about the same weight more power, suspension at a lower cost. Now its discontinued but can still be had for reasonable investment.

Your missing the point, that is not a Ducati.......

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #53
Wadester OP
Rides a dirty bike

I made a small bit of progress - Zach at Woody's got my wheels ready and I picked them up from him last weekend at RMAR. The front fits the KTM front forks I'm adapting, but the rear wheel is custom 18" rim spoked wheel to replace the cast 17" stocker.

Oooooohh

That's a RAD cush drive hub for a KTM 690 - but that's the stock Monster axle. Sweet.

Aaaaaaaaahhh

Goes right where it should - sprocket and disc line up. Can't beat Woody's Wheels!

Awwwww

The one fly in the ointment. Caliper interference. Zach was concerned about this, and we had gone back and forth about it - but there it is. I'll be making a new caliper adapter from plate to move things outboard a bit, and I'll have to space the rotor over to match - but that was always the contingency plan.

Something else I was messin' with

The Monster has rearsets - not good for dualsport. I had been surfing parts catalog and pictures of Multistradas, and I could see that the peg/control mounts bolted to the side of the engine cases on both - but the Multi has a frame extension that picks up the end of the swingarm axle and the peg mount ties to that for the top attachment. You see the Multi mount bolted to the engine - the bolts line up perfectly, and so does the swingarm axle! I've got a Multi swingarm axle on the way to check diameter/fit. If it works like I hope, I'll have better peg location, and support the ends of the swingarm axle a bit more. There will be an adapter plate to tie the mounts to the Monster frame tabs as well. This moves the pegs forward and down by about 6". I'll post a better pic later.

Now if I can just get a good block of time and get the new frame on!

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Old 08-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #54
Wadester OP
Rides a dirty bike

The stock caliper bolts weren't long enough to space the caliper back - so today I went into town and got some longer bolts and some washers for spacers.

Here's 6 washers:

Each washer is about 1.5mm, this is 9mm. Clears, but close.

So here's 10.5mm for the win:

I recall that Zach milled the rotor flange down to match the monster - I'm gonna laugh if it was 10mm!

Now to pull that adapter out and design a new one with caliper tabs and speedo pickup 10mm over. It looks like that will put them in line with the axle base, and a simple piece of plate will suffice. Makes me wonder why they tucked the caliper over like they did. Because they could with a cast wheel? Save weight on the hub by adding weight to the caliper adapter?

Also, the Multistrada/Hypermotard peg mount fit up well - except that they use different spacers at the block. Monsters are all the same, these new bits are different at front and back holes.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #55
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Hello Wadester,
at first: great idea building an off-road Monster!
Concerning the footrests and their hangers: Have you had a close look at the Riverground Ducati shown above? Maybe, there's an idea for yours ...
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 09-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #56
mbrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
The funny part was that not only are the frame and both fork legs bent - so is the front axle:
Heck of an accident. Amazing you walked away too!

The axles are really thin and light. I also bent a Ducati front axle in a front end collision... However in my case luckily the rest of the bike was still straight and unscathed.

Why didn't you want to weld the frame back up? You are already building an off road bike, could have cleaned up and welded the front end back in place at the steerer. I went back and looked at the pic and it is pretty bent in at the bottom tho. You could have set a custom rake angle though.

The wheels look great. That caliper spacing is a bit bush league though
mbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #57
Wadester OP
Rides a dirty bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Hello Wadester,
at first: great idea building an off-road Monster!
Concerning the footrests and their hangers: Have you had a close look at the Riverground Ducati shown above? Maybe, there's an idea for yours ...
Kind regards, Bambi
Thanks for pointing that one out. Beautiful footrest supports - way above my skillset/tooling to fabricate.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #58
Wadester OP
Rides a dirty bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrick View Post
Heck of an accident. Amazing you walked away too!

The axles are really thin and light. I also bent a Ducati front axle in a front end collision... However in my case luckily the rest of the bike was still straight and unscathed.

Why didn't you want to weld the frame back up? You are already building an off road bike, could have cleaned up and welded the front end back in place at the steerer. I went back and looked at the pic and it is pretty bent in at the bottom tho. You could have set a custom rake angle though.

The wheels look great. That caliper spacing is a bit bush league though
Yeah, I walked away because I personally did not impact anything - except maybe my shoulder took out their windshield via my jacket armor.

Looking at the damage done to the head area of the frame, I would have to replace everything forward of the front engine mount to get back to straight. I do have some concerns about front geometry - clearance at the head when turning, total offset - and these could be corrected with a custom head on the old frame.

The caliper spacing pictured (stack of washers) was for evaluation only. Final fix is a new caliper adapter incorporating that offset. I'm also adjusting the speedo sensor location to make the bracket more compact.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:56 PM   #59
blainerides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Love the Terramostro. It's what gave me the idea (several years ago) for MY ever-morphing adventure beast...Here's my 2003 (6th gen) VFR800 GS "Adventureceptor". No suspension work (yet), but working on some ideas. Here's where I'm at, so far:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=979235

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...lous-than-ever!

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/i...erything-ride/

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthrea...ureceptor-quot

Pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3yx7m36tho...ndroid%2B5.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lf3guijo2s...ndroid%206.jpg

blainerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #60
dpforth
no inline fours

Oddometer: 289
Any updates on these builds guys?

I just picked up this 04 800 with the express intent of building a dirty monster. I'm hoping to end up with something that works like a 3/4 scale version of my previous loved/feared Super Enduro.