ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #31
dad2bike OP
Cranky Old Fart
 
dad2bike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 3,391
The RC8 horns don't fit our carbs.

I been considering getting a set of 950 horns & doing some surgery with a heat gun & dremel tool.
__________________
Tom
2006 950 Adventure "Big Orange", 2009 690R "Ginger",2003 525 EXC,
To Think is to Create!
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #32
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!
 
bikyto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Northern Cali
Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRFAB View Post
Pre filters should be available by the first of June or close to it. There will be 2 densities to choose from. A 40 cell (red) and a 60 cell (grey) which is a little more dense. They will be in the 29.00 range and you will be able to oil and compress them into a ziplock bag for long trips. They are form fitted caps that slip over the top quite nicely and can be oiled as well or in place of the base main filter. We can't wait to get these out to the Adventure crowd!

Also coming soon:
Special SE version (thanks CJ Designs for the help on R&D)
RC8 intake. (anyone like an extra 15+ at 7500?, thought so)

Keep an eye on the site for details.
Thanks for the detailed answer!
But I was referring to an outwear-like water barrier filter.

I'm testing the rc8 stacks on my 990 (got them from CJ) and have some positive feedback on it.
I need to run my data logger on it, a bit longer.
__________________
The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself...
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #33
adiablolex
Lost again
 
adiablolex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Third rock from the Sun
Oddometer: 3,693
Just finished installing mine, 04 950
First things first, CPR has done an excellent job with the design/fabrication of this filter, Chris is a top notch guy to deal with (and so is CJ for hooking us up on the discount )

First try is:
172 front, 170 rear
stock air jets
needles on third
floats 2.5mm
IMS 1.75 out
elevation 800'

haven't done any substancial testing yet, initial impressions are excellent, bike starts immediately with a bit of choke, idles fine and pulls like a mofo from sub 3K all the way to redline and the overall behaviour seems like its on some kind of steroids I almost want to go chasing street rockets now...
I've ran many different combinations of jetting and filters/prefilters including H2W kit that I was extremely satisfied with, but this is a totaly different approach, seems like the whole usable range of the bike is unlocked.

I'll run it like this for now and get some mileage along with ass dyno data.
Looking forward to the prefilter sleeves so I can finalize the jetting and also
NEVER HAVING TO REMOVE THAT DANG AIR BOX EVER AGAIN
__________________
DRCOOL rides with me
adiablolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #34
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer
 
mousitsas's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 2,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiablolex View Post
First try is:
172 front, 170 rear
stock air jets
needles on third
floats 2.5mm
IMS 1.75 out
elevation 800'
You set floats at 2.5mm for a particular reason, or they just happened to be there from your last setting?
Have you tried the H2W settings (floats and airjets) but with the larger mains with the CPR filter?
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #35
dad2bike OP
Cranky Old Fart
 
dad2bike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiablolex View Post
Just finished installing mine, 04 950
First things first, CPR has done an excellent job with the design/fabrication of this filter, Chris is a top notch guy to deal with (and so is CJ for hooking us up on the discount )

First try is:
172 front, 170 rear
stock air jets
needles on third
floats 2.5mm
IMS 1.75 out
elevation 800'

haven't done any substancial testing yet, initial impressions are excellent, bike starts immediately with a bit of choke, idles fine and pulls like a mofo from sub 3K all the way to redline and the overall behaviour seems like its on some kind of steroids I almost want to go chasing street rockets now...
I've ran many different combinations of jetting and filters/prefilters including H2W kit that I was extremely satisfied with, but this is a totaly different approach, seems like the whole usable range of the bike is unlocked.

I'll run it like this for now and get some mileage along with ass dyno data.
Looking forward to the prefilter sleeves so I can finalize the jetting and also
NEVER HAVING TO REMOVE THAT DANG AIR BOX EVER AGAIN
I just installed my bigger mains today. It sure is nice to be able to main jets in less than an hour.
My setting is very close to yours.
Main 165/170
45 pilot jets (from my h2w kit)
needle 3rd position
float at 2.5mm (that is stock I just didn't change)
IMS is at about 1.75 as well.
Elevation at house is 1100'
I'm running 16/42 gearing and got 40mpg on the last tank with the smaller mains other stuff the same. With my Aux tank I now have a range over 320 miles on pavement.


A funny thing I noticed. I use Maxima FAB-1 oil. Really sticky stuff. So sticky that my filter was covered with bugs. I have had to clean off my windscreen 2 times this week. I guess they have been getting sucked up into the air filter chamber too. I just wiped them off with a paper towel.
__________________
Tom
2006 950 Adventure "Big Orange", 2009 690R "Ginger",2003 525 EXC,
To Think is to Create!
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #36
adiablolex
Lost again
 
adiablolex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Third rock from the Sun
Oddometer: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
You set floats at 2.5mm for a particular reason, or they just happened to be there from your last setting?
Have you tried the H2W settings (floats and airjets) but with the larger mains with the CPR filter?
figured go about mid way but it feels pretty decent.
I haven;t tried it with the H2W airjets as I wanted to build it from stock down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
I just installed my bigger mains today. It sure is nice to be able to main jets in less than an hour.
My setting is very close to yours.
Main 165/170
45 pilot jets (from my h2w kit)
needle 3rd position
float at 2.5mm (that is stock I just didn't change)
IMS is at about 1.75 as well.
Elevation at house is 1100'
I'm running 16/42 gearing and got 40mpg on the last tank with the smaller mains other stuff the same. With my Aux tank I now have a range over 320 miles on pavement.


A funny thing I noticed. I use Maxima FAB-1 oil. Really sticky stuff. So sticky that my filter was covered with bugs. I have had to clean off my windscreen 2 times this week. I guess they have been getting sucked up into the air filter chamber too. I just wiped them off with a paper towel.
Thats pretty impressive mileage for this jetting.
I hear you on the bugs man, in Ontario, there are two seasons, bug season and winter
__________________
DRCOOL rides with me
adiablolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #37
CPRFAB
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se View Post
I'll take a set of both of these for my SE once the jetting is known.

What kind of timeframe are we looking at for these items?

ktm950se
C.J. has been working with the new SE 950 version. It uses the same filter as the RC8 which is a "Dome" style filter to clear the back of the seat pan as that model is so much more compact. One caveat is you need to trim your trumpets significantly but according to C.J., it still runs really well and the butt dyno so far agrees. We believe CJ might have some "pre trimmed" trumpets available to make it easy.

The RC8 model will be available in about 2 weeks and has tested very well. We are just getting all the final details on the kit together and the instructions laid out and it will go up for purchase. Keep an eye on the site for details.

We should have pre filters for all the existing models available in about 2 weeks as well. This is a big thing for all the adventure guys and will come in 2 densities. We are pretty excited about these for the off road crowd. There has been a big demand for them.

Chris Parker
CPRFAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #38
dad2bike OP
Cranky Old Fart
 
dad2bike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 3,391
Looking forward to the prefilter. I recall CJ noting something about a special price or something for us that preordered the early batches.

Finally got to ride to work today with the bigger mains. OMG. This thing is fun.

I do notice when I let off the gas my idle is staying high. I'm doing some tweaking to find the sweet spot for the IMS to eliminate that. I'm at 1.5 turns now. I may have disturbed them during the Mains install. Easy enough to check.
__________________
Tom
2006 950 Adventure "Big Orange", 2009 690R "Ginger",2003 525 EXC,
To Think is to Create!
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #39
cjracer
AWD please!!
 
cjracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Mukwonago, WI
Oddometer: 3,951
Just getting back with my first Longer trip test with this setup.

1400 miles, lot of water in mud holes. Never had any issues with splashes on the SE.


I ran the CPR "RC8" Filter, Custom chopped trumpets and an off the shelf Filter Skin. This ran untouched during the trip, only pulled the seat off once at 400 miles to make sure all looked well. My jetting might not be perfect, but if felt real nice.

No surging, dips in power that my butt could feel. I was getting about 30-35 MPG cruising with 16/45 gearing on road and 25-30 off road having Fun!

This is very close to what I have found with the UNI Prefilter setup running leaner jetting and the stock box compared to the CPR running richer jetting. I won't have time to get it on the dyno anytime soon though to do final tweaks. It will stay as is until I have more time.

Everyone that test road the 950 SE this last week commented on how smooth and powerful it was.

-As for any promo offers those would be direct from us for any foam covers, not sure about this until we get them in our hands.

-LC8 950 Custom Trumpets-
I have more OEM 950 trumpets on the way. Once I get them here and have them modified, I will post more info in the Vendors thread for those that want them.
__________________
My 2006 950S thread. 2006 950s update
New product updates here! Wordpress BLOG
click www.cjdesignsllc.com for the full line of products. FREE STUFF!!
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #40
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer
 
mousitsas's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 2,670
Any news on the quest for the perfect jetting???
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #41
dad2bike OP
Cranky Old Fart
 
dad2bike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 3,391
Mine seems to run pretty good with all stock jetting except large mains and raised needle. I may go up one more size on the mains next time I have it off.
__________________
Tom
2006 950 Adventure "Big Orange", 2009 690R "Ginger",2003 525 EXC,
To Think is to Create!
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #42
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
Mine seems to run pretty good with all stock jetting except large mains and raised needle. I may go up one more size on the mains next time I have it off.
I am at about the same place as Tom. Stock pilot, needle in third clip and big mains--175/180 work best at my elevation (3K) for the most power. 170/175 for a little better fuel mileage
__________________
'06 950 Adventure S
'10 Husaberg FX 450
'01 KTM 520exc
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:57 AM   #43
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer
 
mousitsas's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 2,670
Gracias for the input guys. What did you do eventually with the trumpets? 1/2 inch of clearance seems a bit too low. Is the dust pattern even, or do you notice it to accumulate over the horns?
Are they required to keep it secure? Have you tried to run without them?
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:05 AM   #44
adiablolex
Lost again
 
adiablolex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Third rock from the Sun
Oddometer: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
Gracias for the input guys. What did you do eventually with the trumpets? 1/2 inch of clearance seems a bit too low. Is the dust pattern even, or do you notice it to accumulate over the horns?
Are they required to keep it secure? Have you tried to run without them?
Mine is the opposite, there was more dust on the sides than on top. You do need them to secure the plate down.
If you're concerned about the clearance CJ has some modified ones that are shorter, maybe someone that's using them can pipe up
__________________
DRCOOL rides with me
adiablolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:45 AM   #45
cjracer
AWD please!!
 
cjracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Mukwonago, WI
Oddometer: 3,951
I've got about 5,000 miles on the Domes CPR filter with my Short 950 Trumpets. So far so good. We should be back on the dyno this weekend if the temps cool off around here from 100F.

I run a filterskin on it.


(Shadows are from me trying to snap a pic)



It's dirty from front to back, side to side with most build up in front as you would expect. Still flows much more air than the Uni -Snorkel setup and lasted much longer before prefilter swaps. This was at about 3,000 miles before I pulled the skin. Underneath the filter looked perfect. I put another skin on and ready to go.
__________________
My 2006 950S thread. 2006 950s update
New product updates here! Wordpress BLOG
click www.cjdesignsllc.com for the full line of products. FREE STUFF!!
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014