ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #31
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatley Rocket View Post
Still looking into the 76csx, and is there another like the nuvi 500 that is waterproof for less? Otherwise, it seems like a good all arounder, for travelling for work, car and motorcycle. T
You probably don't need the "S" stick with 76Cx for price. I use one in motorhome with Roads & Rec but also have Nuvi with Cith Nav to look up gas and addresses, etc.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:11 AM   #32
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,152
i''ve been using a garmin nuvi 1490t with garmin topo maps successfully for adventure riding for a few years now, but just purchased a garmin 500 on ebay as i like the waterproof case. i've always put a clear plastic bag around it when it looks wet or dusty, which obviously makes it harder to read the screen.

just wondering if anyone has tested how waterproof it is? i assume its just meant to survive in rain and not a thorough underwater dunking in a river?

or is it a good idea to do the old plastic bag and rubberband trick if the rain gets heavy?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #33
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
i''ve been using a garmin nuvi 1490t with garmin topo maps successfully for adventure riding for a few years now, but just purchased a garmin 500 on ebay as i like the waterproof case. i've always put a clear plastic bag around it when it looks wet or dusty, which obviously makes it harder to read the screen.

just wondering if anyone has tested how waterproof it is? i assume its just meant to survive in rain and not a thorough underwater dunking in a river?

or is it a good idea to do the old plastic bag and rubberband trick if the rain gets heavy?
IPX7= can be submerged up to 1 meter of water for 30 minutes without suffering damage. So it will be fine, especially considering your bike isn't IPX7.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #34
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
The Nuvi 500/550 seem quite waterproof however the mini USB power receptacle (as well as some of the power adapters) have been known to fail over time or in very wet conditions.

Good unit for moderate to to light duty use in the elements.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #35
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,152
thanks for the fast replies. should be fine then, i made a small windshield to go on the husaberg and the gps and power supply sit behind that so they won't cop any rain directly while the bike is moving. bit of a bummer going from the five inch screen to four inch but it will be good to scrap the plastic bag...
Old 09-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #36
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,827
have a 60csx & later bought a 500 thinking it would replace the 60.
nope. the 60csx is perfect for DS/ADV riding and he 500 lives in he car.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #37
Ed Zachtamundo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Question about international travel

Hey guys. I'm going to be headed south from Oregon to TDF here in a few weeks. I don't need to load premade tracks or for the unit to keep a record of where I've been. Mostly I would just use the GPS to navigate to a specific address within a city, or a particular lat/long point. As far as the big picture is concerned, I would be more comfortable using paper maps and just making my way south until I run out of road, but I know when I get into a big city, I will have trouble finding a particular place (hotel, bike shop, etc). I don't need any music or bluetooth functionality either, so it looks like the Nuvi might be a better option than the Zumo, especially considering the price. Can I upload international maps to the Nuvi series, and do you all think it would fit my needs?
Ed Zachtamundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #38
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,835
I had a business trip to Europe last spring. I should have planned but a few days before I left I panicked and bought he Garmin maps online for the country I visited. Really glad I did. I installed then on an external card. Get a big card at least 8GB I have a 16. Still have them if I go again but they will only work on my GPS NUVI 500. If I had had time I would have bought then on a card so I could share. It was accurate and helped navigate the traffic circles. Oh and if your unit fails and you pay the core charge with Garmin hey will transfer the license to the replacement GPS. But you have to ask/beg.

I want a Montana some day but he NUVI 500 does the job.

In sunlight switch to night mode. Then gray roads on green show up as white on black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Zachtamundo View Post
Hey guys. I'm going to be headed south from Oregon to TDF here in a few weeks. I don't need to load premade tracks or for the unit to keep a record of where I've been. Mostly I would just use the GPS to navigate to a specific address within a city, or a particular lat/long point. As far as the big picture is concerned, I would be more comfortable using paper maps and just making my way south until I run out of road, but I know when I get into a big city, I will have trouble finding a particular place (hotel, bike shop, etc). I don't need any music or bluetooth functionality either, so it looks like the Nuvi might be a better option than the Zumo, especially considering the price. Can I upload international maps to the Nuvi series, and do you all think it would fit my needs?

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote