ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #16
Melrone
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Cheese Head Country
Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy All,

From what I understand and please correct me if I am wrong, THIS steering mod does NOT cause the front end to drop. The steering mod that is on my rig has caused the front end to drop at least 2.5-3 inches, it steers great but it now dives when going into corners at speed especially when I have a passenger in the hack. Had this mod been available when I had my R1150 GS, rig built I would have opted to go this way.
You must have Jaays lower tree.Thats the same on mine..And I had the shock also lowered.It did ok but it would be nice to have it lifted a hair..Nice setupy the way.. A hellof alot cheaper..
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #17
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrone View Post
You must have Jaays lower tree.Thats the same on mine..And I had the shock also lowered.It did ok but it would be nice to have it lifted a hair..Nice setupy the way.. A hellof alot cheaper..
Howdy Melrone,

Yes, I have Jay's lower tree on my rig. Had I known the front of the rig would drop as much as it did, I think I would have tried the rig without the steering mod first and then have it done if it steered to heavy. As it is now I really like the way the rig handles I just don't care for how low it sits in front. I am thinking real strong about getting a two inch longer shock to mount up front.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Join Smugmug, use this coupon https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #18
pops
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Stirling North South Australia
Oddometer: 1,561
Hi Mr Cob.
I had the same trouble when i made my own trail reducer for the gsa with the standard forks .
I found that you could put a 15mm spacer on top of the stock shock before you fitted it to the bike as there was room to fit the spacer and still have room for the top nut to fit ,it lifted the front of my bike around 25mm to 30mm .
Every bit of extra height helps

I also think the 2004 front gsa front shock is around 25mm longer with a stronger spring than the gs had .
Sorry i am real sure on that one .
It was a while ago

But after saying all of that I did end up getting a longer wilbers shock with a stronger spring .

All the best
Ian
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #19
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops View Post
Hi Mr Cob.
I had the same trouble when i made my own trail reducer for the gsa with the standard forks .
I found that you could put a 15mm spacer on top of the stock shock before you fitted it to the bike as there was room to fit the spacer and still have room for the top nut to fit ,it lifted the front of my bike around 25mm to 30mm .
Every bit of extra height helps

I also think the 2004 front gsa front shock is around 25mm longer with a stronger spring than the gs had .
Sorry i am real sure on that one .
It was a while ago

But after saying all of that I did end up getting a longer wilbers shock with a stronger spring .

All the best
Ian
Howdy Ian,

Thanks for the tip, much appreciated mate.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Join Smugmug, use this coupon https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #20
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !
 
davebig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 2,884
Melrone

How goes it neighbor ? I'm sick to death of this up and down weather. Are you off to Soldiers Grove in the spring ? Have you ever been on the Wild Goose Run.DB
__________________
Patience: A minor form of despair disguised as a virture.
Ambrose Bierce
davebig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:56 AM   #21
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large
 
Bobmws's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Same trailer, different park, FL
Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy Melrone,

Yes, I have Jay's lower tree on my rig. Had I known the front of the rig would drop as much as it did, I think I would have tried the rig without the steering mod first and then have it done if it steered to heavy. As it is now I really like the way the rig handles I just don't care for how low it sits in front. I am thinking real strong about getting a two inch longer shock to mount up front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops View Post
Hi Mr Cob.
I had the same trouble when i made my own trail reducer for the gsa with the standard forks .
I found that you could put a 15mm spacer on top of the stock shock before you fitted it to the bike as there was room to fit the spacer and still have room for the top nut to fit ,it lifted the front of my bike around 25mm to 30mm .
Every bit of extra height helps

I also think the 2004 front gsa front shock is around 25mm longer with a stronger spring than the gs had .
Sorry i am real sure on that one .
It was a while ago

But after saying all of that I did end up getting a longer wilbers shock with a stronger spring .

All the best
Ian
I discovered the same issue with the Hannigan trail reducer on my Kbike telelever. The fender was actually touching the fairing on full compression. I increased the preload about 3/8", it's better but still not sitting at the stock height when the bike was solo.
Pops I like the idea of the spacer on top of the shock. Next time I have the fairing off I'll check the amount of threads sticking through the nut and give that a try. I have Hyperpro shocks, may have it lengthened when it's time for a rebuild, and I'll definitely go for the remote preload adjuster.
__________________
Bob Weis 04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
Everything happens for a reason, but sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.
Photo's: http://s1077.photobucket.com/albums/w464/Bobmws/
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #22
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !
 
davebig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 2,884
We can fix that

Anyone interested in changing their front end my welder buddy and I can do that for you we've built a couple simple jigs to insure the ball joint and telelever still maintain alignment.The easiest way is to get some used parts off Ebay, as I did.The money all goes to the welder who like everyone is struggling with enough to do.I'm a retired postal worker lifetime gear head and I help the welder in the winter to have something to do.DB


__________________
Patience: A minor form of despair disguised as a virture.
Ambrose Bierce
davebig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #23
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !
 
davebig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 2,884
Just knocked out another one

Welder buddy and I have modified another telelever A-frame for a inmate, none other than Stroker gearhead,millwright, motorcycle traveler wheel builder and experimenter of all things sidecar, we only shortened his 1/2 " as he wanted to compromise, I hope he lets us know how it works.DB

German powder coating is first class its hard to get off.


Finished with 1/2" slice laying on it.
One more time thank you TwinTwin.DB
__________________
Patience: A minor form of despair disguised as a virture.
Ambrose Bierce
davebig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #24
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Oddometer: 999
For most bikes the front end does not drop with our front end modification. For a few it does, Not really sure why, Any way we just developed a spacer to lift it back up an inch.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jay@dmcsidecars.com
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #25
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydmc View Post
For most bikes the front end does not drop with our front end modification. For a few it does, Not really sure why, Any way we just developed a spacer to lift it back up an inch.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jay@dmcsidecars.com
Howdy Jay,

I sure could use that spacer as the front of my bike dropped a good two inches from where it was. Let me know about this new part, thanks.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Join Smugmug, use this coupon https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #26
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Oddometer: 999
Mr Cob sir, Would you like us to send you one or come by the shop?
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jay@dmcsidecars.com
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #27
Stroker
motorcycle traveler
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Connecticut
Oddometer: 167
good stuff

I'm excited about the newest mod for my rig. As Dave has noted, I have opted for only a 1/2" chop-job with the hopes that the handlling will not be adversely affected when using my GS as a solo machine. We are well into the 1/2'' lengthening the bridge between the fork sliders as the 1100's are different than the lower clamp on the 1150's. I will report how it works when it's all finished and installed. I've ridden my hot-rod Harley without the car but with adjustable trees kicked out and with car tires without entering the "pucker zone". I spend alot of my time dealing with dangerous situations, but prefer to ride my motorcycles!

Stroker screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 03:54 PM
Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #28
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydmc View Post
Mr Cob sir, Would you like us to send you one or come by the shop?
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jay@dmcsidecars.com
Howdy Jay,

Thanks for replying so quickly to my email and for sending the spacer to me. I'll take a look at what has to be done when the spacer arrives, if I don't have the tools or the know-how to accomplish this task I'll give you a call and make arrangements to stop by your shop. Again THANKS for taking care of this, but PLEASE don't ever call me Sir, whilst in the Army I was an NCO and take umbrage at being being mistakenly lumped in with officers.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Join Smugmug, use this coupon https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #29
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !
 
davebig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 2,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy Jay,

I sure could use that spacer as the front of my bike dropped a good two inches from where it was. Let me know about this new part, thanks.
Cob
If you and I end up on Drone's trip,I'll be happy to let you try mine, now I don't have a ton of experience.Only a 83Wing/Ural with and w/o steerite, a Ural test ride and Claude's 1150 (modified triple tree) and mine the same day,my steering with the stock fork angle is more precise and with one of Stroker Daves wheels it really handles incredibly well, what one would expect for all that cost.DB
__________________
Patience: A minor form of despair disguised as a virture.
Ambrose Bierce
davebig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #30
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Cob
If you and I end up on Drone's trip,I'll be happy to let you try mine, now I don't have a ton of experience.Only a 83Wing/Ural with and w/o steerite, a Ural test ride and Claude's 1150 (modified triple tree) and mine the same day,my steering with the stock fork angle is more precise and with one of Stroker Daves wheels it really handles incredibly well, what one would expect for all that cost.DB
Howdy davebig,

And this is at the heart of my situation. I have long been interested in Stroker's front car wheel setup and have contacted him concerning it.

However as his tire-wheel combination WILL further lower the front of the rig I simply can't see buying that setup even thou I want it. I'll see what the spacer Jay is sending me does, maybe the combitnation of the spacer and a longer front shock would allow me to use Strokers front wheel, I'll just have to wait till I get the parts and see what happens when they are installled.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Join Smugmug, use this coupon https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014