User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
kerosene OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
DR650 troubles starting after running out of gas

Not sure how well you guys can help in this vague thing.
Bike: DR650, The bike is new to me (few weeks or a month now), well kept and runs like champ. Has big tank and after market petcock (non-vacuum line and has off position). Stock carb.

Few weeks ago bike the bike ran out of fuel while the petcock was set to "ON", I pulled over switched to "res" and cranked. No life, waited and cranked. Tried this over and over with no help. I pushed the bike to station. Filled it, waited and cursed my luck. And when I tried again I got instant life. Rest of that trip I kept it full enough to not touch reserves.

Yesterday I wanted to purposefully try it again, run tank out of main capacity, switch to reserve and run that dry (spare in pannier). Bike stuttered when it ran out of main, switched to Res, all good. Then it ran out of reserve, full death, no stuttering.. I poured my 3 pint spare in the tank. No life. At all. Waited and waited, trying to crank every now and then. One point got to idle for a few sec but wouldn't run. choke made no difference.

Eventually braining from the past incident I figured that the added pressure of full fill-up solved the issue. So I blew into the gas tank - tried and instant fire. Running all good like nothing happened.

Sticky float needle? Would seem that it would rather stick open than close? Amy ideas? I removed the hose from the fuel tap and that was running freely.

Has big tank and after market petcock (non-vacuum).
Suzuki SV650 '03
Honda XR650L '97

past

Suzuki PV50 '87
Suzuki RM250 '86
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Lots of help

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene View Post
Not sure how well you guys can help in this vague thing.
Bike: DR650, The bike is new to me (few weeks or a month now), well kept and runs like champ. Has big tank and after market petcock (non-vacuum line and has off position). Stock carb.

Few weeks ago bike the bike ran out of fuel while the petcock was set to "ON", I pulled over switched to "res" and cranked. No life, waited and cranked. Tried this over and over with no help. I pushed the bike to station. Filled it, waited and cursed my luck. And when I tried again I got instant life. Rest of that trip I kept it full enough to not touch reserves.

Yesterday I wanted to purposefully try it again, run tank out of main capacity, switch to reserve and run that dry (spare in pannier). Bike stuttered when it ran out of main, switched to Res, all good. Then it ran out of reserve, full death, no stuttering.. I poured my 3 pint spare in the tank. No life. At all. Waited and waited, trying to crank every now and then. One point got to idle for a few sec but wouldn't run. choke made no difference.

Eventually braining from the past incident I figured that the added pressure of full fill-up solved the issue. So I blew into the gas tank - tried and instant fire. Running all good like nothing happened.

Sticky float needle? Would seem that it would rather stick open than close? Amy ideas? I removed the hose from the fuel tap and that was running freely.

Has big tank and after market petcock (non-vacuum).
On the DR650 thread! see you over on the DR650 thread.
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
kerosene OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerWolf View Post
AS RIDICULOUS AS THESE 2 SCENARIOS SOUND .....they can happen

1. take a good look at the fuel tap lever

when you run out of fuel THE 1st TIME.....you have ALREADY USED UP the reserve.

SO....there is no more fuel available in the tank to switch over to.
I know what you mean - not the problem here.

2. After blowing pressure (with my mouth) to the tank the bike runs fine. I could see that there was over 2" of fuel in the tank but no life before my "pressure treatment".

And will post on DR650 Thread.
Suzuki SV650 '03
Honda XR650L '97

past

Suzuki PV50 '87
Suzuki RM250 '86
Old 04-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,369
The DR650 is quirky that way. If you run it into reserve, it takes an inordinately long time before it will fire again. So long that it makes you think something is wrong. Every stock DR650 I've experienced has behaved this way. You just have to flip to reserve or add fuel and then be patient for five minutes.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
kerosene OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I waited fro way longer than 5 min.

But on the DR650 thread it was suggested that an uphill kink in the fuel hose can create a air lock. This would fit the logic of my case. When going to reserve "on the go" the airlock (or vapor) doesn't form. But if you run it dry and the fuel level is very low it doesn't have enough pressure to beat the buoyancy of the gas lock.

This is not my bike - I think I have it worse (similar but more bend):

I don't mind blowing into the tank either as long as I know that there is nothing real wrong.
Suzuki SV650 '03
Honda XR650L '97

past

Suzuki PV50 '87
Suzuki RM250 '86