Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #16
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
That part of Idaho is a great place to ride. Have always wanted to see the Palouse area. Was recently in the area just west of Jackson , Wy and it was quite nice also. Alot more potatoes grown in that area and very scenic also. Idaho is kind of a off the radar riding place, I will not tell anymore people...
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #17
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
A short run to John Day area

It became necessary to plan a little ride down into central Oregon again. The departure point was to be Lewiston Idaho. Early saturday morning we did a little bicycle ride up the spiral hwy starting out of Clarkston, it was glorious. A couple hours later we were headed here again, dang it:

Of course we had to stop at the Joseph canyon rim... there were a lot of dual sporters running around too with a gathering going on in Enterprise.

From here we hauled ass on over and down to the North Fork of thye Jhn Day via LaGrande and hwy 244 which is a great route, its even better if you run up the upper Grande Rhonde toward Granite, but we had a time contstraint.. We found the Tollbridge campground here, we were the only occupants.

Time for a cocktail! and to relax next to the river....
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #18
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

The sun was still high in the sky thanks to the long days of June:

When the time came for a little nite light we had that too...

The bikes enjoyed the campfie too:

Woke up to more of this:

I turned north toward home and Ben headed for his Mom's in Arcarta, I drove thru Pendleton and Walla Walla, then took some backroads between Waitsburg and Starbuck, this is fun stuff!

Dont want to get hung up here:

Turned it up the road to Dusty, one of my favs... then hauled ass acroos the palouse to get home, i wish i could show you the wind we had out here on Sunday, it was chattering at me! I have posted other palouse pics here before so i will not bore you with them again now..

I think i saw quite a few ADV'ers on Sunday heading home from events, i hope everybody had a good time.

Cheers
Old 06-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #19
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,209
Jim, we nearly crossed paths. I did a ride last week (Wed.-Fri.) from Boise into Oregon, Wa., back across Id. to Montana and back to Boise. If you spotted a yellow VFR that was probably me.

After a sweet blast down Hwy.7 from Bates to Sumpter, I took the forest road to Ukiah. Despite the rough section north of Granite for a few miles, that road always brings a smile, great twisties.

From there I also took Hwy.244 to La Grande. Good fun, as always.

Needing a campsite, I ended up at Wallowa Lake, like you. Beautiful area, but don't care for the park, way too crowded.

Rattlesnake Grade was next, including pie and coffee at Boggan's. Milkshake next time.

Hwy.12 across Idaho and into Montana, motel in Hamilton.

Next day over Lost Trail Pass, down to Salmon, Challis, Stanley, Lowman and on to Boise.

Re the campsites you referrenced, can you tell me where they are? They looked really nice, much more inviting than the state park at Wallowa.

Thanks again for your ride report and wonderful pics, which depict our part of the country so well.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #20
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero View Post
Jim, we nearly crossed paths. I did a ride last week (Wed.-Fri.) from Boise into Oregon, Wa., back across Id. to Montana and back to Boise. If you spotted a yellow VFR that was probably me.

After a sweet blast down Hwy.7 from Bates to Sumpter, I took the forest road to Ukiah. Despite the rough section north of Granite for a few miles, that road always brings a smile, great twisties.

From there I also took Hwy.244 to La Grande. Good fun, as always.

Needing a campsite, I ended up at Wallowa Lake, like you. Beautiful area, but don't care for the park, way too crowded.

Rattlesnake Grade was next, including pie and coffee at Boggan's. Milkshake next time.

Hwy.12 across Idaho and into Montana, motel in Hamilton.

Next day over Lost Trail Pass, down to Salmon, Challis, Stanley, Lowman and on to Boise.

Re the campsites you referrenced, can you tell me where they are? They looked really nice, much more inviting than the state park at Wallowa.

Thanks again for your ride report and wonderful pics, which depict our part of the country so well.
Wow Viajero thats cool.. if you were in Lewiston before noon on Sat, we missed, otherwise we may have passed on the road.. there were a lot of bikes out too.. You made a great trip loop. I love all the areas you covered, especially the run from the top of lost trail pass clear to idaho city.. that is awesome.. a couple summers ago on our return from Colorado (ANOTHER BITCHIN MOTO TRIP) we camped near a hot springs between Lowman and Stanley..

In Oregon we camped on the N Fork of the John Day, about 15 miles south of Ukiah.. I have also camped at Service Creek on the John Day proper. Both places were great and uncrowded. The Forest Svc website has tons of good info on these and other campgrounds.

In Hells Canyon i camped at Woodhead Park on Brownlee res. it is an Idaho Power Co facility. IPCo has a bunch of neat parks, when i go back there i will go to the campground that is just a ways south of Oxbow on the road the Hells canyon dam. Cant remember the name..It is just abit off the path, which makes it better.

Thanks for checking out my trip, i will keep an eye peeled for your yellow viffer! Cheers!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #21
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Quinns Hot Springs

Last week we decided to take a short little ride over to Quinns Hot Springs resort in western Montana, near Plains. If you have never been there, GO! This iis a great place situated along the Clark Fork river.

After leaving home in Coeur D'Alene, we moseyed up the road and decided to stop in Wallace. ID for some refreshent at the new North Idaho Brewery which sits on a nice little creek at the base of Dobson Pass Rd

Said creek runs through it:

Lotsa artifacts to look at

The beer was cold and savory

A nice place to stop and refuel

We made another little detour at Lookout Pass..

We motored on down the pass and headed down along the Clark Fork

We arrived at Quinns, our destination for the nite and enjoyed the wonderful hot springs pools, had a terrific dinner and a very nice room. Tomorrow we may cruise on down MT Hwy 200 and go to Missoula...Nice brewery in Mizzoo too.. he he he
Old 07-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #22
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Sunday

We woke to clear blue Montana Skies.....we soaked in the mysterious healing powers of the mineral pools, had a great breakfast at the Harwood house restuarant..... then motored on up to the confluence of the Clark Fork and Flathead Rivers..

We cruised easily East on Hwy 200 till we saw the turn off to the Bison Park and the wildlife refuge, so we headed that way..North off 200. The bison park is not accessible on a motorcycle, bummer, so we went to these cool nature walk paths instead. we saw these guys instead:

This is a cool park that is worth a visit

https://maps.google.com/maps/place?h...77604809735497

Off to Missoula and the Saturday Market! With perhaps a quick stop at Big Sky Brewery!..

Cheers!
Old 07-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #23
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Glacier Speed!

This past weekend ( July 21, 22, 23) my brother and i took a little trip up to Glacier Park in MT

Here are some of the pics from Saturday:
We left from my moms house in Bayview..

On the road at last!

Stopped at Noxon Dam

Not as much water now..

Clark Fork River today.

Yaak Falls, be careful Kenny!

Bummer its closed now..

Look out Kenny!!!

Rode over the hill to Koocanusa Lk

Saw a moose in a meadow.

Ended the day in Eureka MT, went to the rodeo:

Yahooo!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #24
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Id-Jim View Post

Bummer its closed now..
Shame about the Dirty Shame--is it permanently closed?
It was still running back in Sep 2010...
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #25
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

It looks to me like the saloon will remain closed until there is a new Owner, that could take a while in Yaak, MT..
Old 07-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #26
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Our day trip from Eureka MT to Glacier Park had ist first stop at Whitfish Lake, MT.

Then we hauled ass into the Park. We couldnt have had a nicer day. You can see for yourself.

After leaving the East side of the park we rode down Hwy 89 and then 49 to East Glacier, that was a real treat, wow what great roads.

We had a great stay in simple cabin at East Glacier Motel & Cabins, it was right out of the '60s! We had a fire pit and all, it was fantastic..

The next day we bombed home to CdA ID, via Flathead lake...

Of course we routed over Thompson Pass as Kenny had to get to see the Spagpole Meuseum in Murry ID.

It was a great trip, thanks for looking.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #27
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Mt St Helens weekend

GF Pillion and I stuffed the panniers and the tank bag last Friday and left CdA for Tri Cities to go see her Sissy and drink some beers at a new pub in W Richland..

Of course the best spot is part way to the TC and is in Waitsburg WA
Laht Neppur Brewing Co.

Be sure to check it out if you get the chance.

Friday night at the New pub, very good too!

We got up fairly early on saturday and headed up over White Pass, along the way we got to see this:

We kept the throttle pinned and made our way to randle where we turned upstream toward Windy Ridge. We got lucky with the weather, even tho it was hot. the veiw was nice.

To get a better view there is a platform up there:

and up there..

almost there..

to get to see this...

then back to this.....

It was an easier hike back here..

This little lake..

stopped here to cool off.. very nice

From here we headed back to Packwood to the motel, but first had to check in with the mayor.

We really enjoyed the lo-key atmosphere in packwood...
Old 08-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #28
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

The Mayor said we could check ou the tennis club.

And to see the brand new fire department bldg,

Dont get caught doing this,

Maybe go here:

We headed for home and got our last volcanic glances

We then just blasted across central WA to get home, sorry no pics from Othello! Cheers!
Old 08-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #29
KLRmonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Thanks!

nice ride report - it's interesting to see life coming back, seems a slow climb from all those years ago.
thanks for sharing.
KLRmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #30
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Took another little trip!

Thu 9/27/12

My son is playing soccer for Corban U in Salem, OR... So seeing as how the weather has been perfect, it seemed like a good time to waqtch some college soccer, and do some camping off the viffer. I packed my gear and bombed hwy 395 out of CdA, ID til i got to Hwy 14 on the Columbia river. It wasnt long til i get to see this:

I rode up Roosevelt hill for these shots.

Took a pic of John Day's river blocker..

enjoyed the uncrowded road.

I hustled on down to Maryhill State Park to camp.

I enjoyed the MSP:

Tomorrow i will head toward Grass Valley, OR.