User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
Chuck289 OP
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,230
Keeping chipmunks out of engine compartment

Got in my car yesterday and it had trouble starting. Sounded like it wasnt getting fuel. When I opened I hood I saw all the sound dampening foam stuff everywhere and some chewed up wires. It was those damn chipmunks I saw running out from under my car when I walked out to the driveway
It happened overnight, those 'munks work fast!
So what are ways to keep chipmunks out from under the hood? Ive heard keeping the hood open might keep them out because they are looking for dark places.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck289 View Post
Got in my car yesterday and it had trouble starting. Sounded like it wasnt getting fuel. When I opened I hood I saw all the sound dampening foam stuff everywhere and some chewed up wires. It was those damn chipmunks I saw running out from under my car when I walked out to the driveway
It happened overnight, those 'munks work fast!
So what are ways to keep chipmunks out from under the hood? Ive heard keeping the hood open might keep them out because they are looking for dark places.
Be happy your car was not an R8 Audi, and the damn rats chew that much that te bill will have many 0000's .... Ad that parts may take a month or two to arrive .... Happened to a friend.
KTM 990 ADV 07 sold Member #68,893
An exmilitary fast-jet pilot that is well aware of the challenges in keeping complex machines running, which owns and runs a string of aviation companies and teaches daily the management of complex engineering said: Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:43 AM   #3
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,560
Put some cats under the hood.

Just be careful when you start it.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,365
+1 on the cats. I have 2, and they have almost wiped out the chipmunk population in my yard. They do a good job on the mice too.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
rifflebox
Yee Haw!

Oddometer: 203
Rats!!!! Mice!!! Oh My!

I live out in the country and rats/mice are a constant problem with bikes and vehicles. I try to remember to pop the hood on all the cars at least once a week and look for any signs of feeding or nesting. If I find anything I hose it all out. Urban myth says that rats and mice don't like the smell of bar soap but I couldn't find enough info on the Internet to confirm. If so, I'd zip-tie a bar somewhere in the engine compartment. I suppose you could do the same with a block of D-Con, but I don't like having it around where the dog might get to it. I had a problem with rats/mice in a Nissan Frontier that cost several Ben Franklins to fix up. And at time we had a cat that was a pretty good mouser.

I parked my ST1300 under a cover one winter and mice got in and nested in the air box. They chewed up some of the fuel injection wiring as well and that cost me a couple more Ben Franklins. I now store two bikes in a secure shed with a real floor in it and the ST1300 lives in a storage unit.

We use mouse/rat traps and D-Con as part of our rodent management program but it is a constant battle.

Good Luck!!
rifflebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
Up here in them thar hills where the problem is mice, then Squirrels, I gunk the motor down with WD40 and they HATE IT! Only needs to be done about once a month, and if the motor is clean as in free of caked on oil, it also makes it look real showroom pretty. The other benifit of the gunking wiith WD 40 is it displaces water, and keeps the metal under the hood form getting rust or other stuff stuck to it...other then it does get dusty if you like in a low humidity dusty place.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 184
Poke some holes in the lid of an old Tupperware container. Fill it with mothballs and place it some where under the hood where it won't melt. I've been storing my car through the winter with mothballs under the hood, in the trunk, and in the passenger compartment. Haven't had a mouse problem since I started doing this. (I assume it would work for chipmunks too.)
Conedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #8
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Fill it with mothballs and place it some where under the hood where it won't melt.
+1

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
giacomo
Giacomo Jim

Oddometer: 3
One day I saw my kids messing with a snake in the driveway. I told 'em to quit and the snake went under the car. Later, when driving at 50MPH, the damn thing came crawling out the dash vent! All 3 feet of it crawled on the dash and it was staring me down while I tried to drive. Almost has a head-on crash trying to stop. Once I rolled the window down, it left in a hurry and I stopped shaking an hour later.
-G
Old 05-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
+1 on the cats. I have 2, and they have almost wiped out the chipmunk population in my yard. They do a good job on the mice too.
hows about a spray bottle of cat piss?
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
hows about a spray bottle of cat piss?
That would clear the whole neighborhood! I would rather get sprayed by a skunk, than to smell cat piss!!! Before we got our cats, I wanted to kill them all. Damn feral cats.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #12
Chuck289 OP
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,230
I might try WD40.

The thing is it happened so fast. I was just staying at my parents place for a weekend. I park in the garage when I can but sometimes there are too many cars.

And I don't have time to sit out there all day gaurding my car with a pellet gun, though I wish I could.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #13
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
That would clear the whole neighborhood! I would rather get sprayed by a skunk, than to smell cat piss!!! Before we got our cats, I wanted to kill them all. Damn feral cats.
Just thinking about what a warm engine would do to the stench
Old 05-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #14
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck289 View Post
I might try WD40.

The thing is it happened so fast. I was just staying at my parents place for a weekend. I park in the garage when I can but sometimes there are too many cars.

And I don't have time to sit out there all day gaurding my car with a pellet gun, though I wish I could.
You sure you don't want to give it a try? Woot's got the perfect thing for ya, cheap.

http://deals.woot.com/deals/details/...ter-pellet-gun
http://moofi.woot.com/moofi/lovegun

fiddy bucks! :)

Old 05-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #15
NewHampWoodsRider
Tag Captor

Oddometer: 446
Dont know if it works for Chipmunks but the odor of mint supposedly deters mice.

Good luck!
NewHampWoodsRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: